LOCAL & STATE GOVERNMENT INFLUENCE IN GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

Reading between the lines in this, it looks like Cooper has said no to all incentive deals in progress during transition: 

http://www.mendesfornashville.com/soccer-standoff/

Relevant quote:

P.S.  The idea of Nashville being a fair, reliable business partner is a big deal. The city can’t be a ‘no’ on all the economic development deals that were underway at the time of the election. I support the Mayor’s desire to change the ground rules for how economic development works in Nashville. I have long argued that the city needs to do a better job of explaining what it wants to incentivize and how it is going to measure incentives. Last term, I appreciated unanimous Council support for my incentive reform legislation. That said, it would be bad to be perceived as immediately switching with no lead time to a new set of ground rules for economic development in Nashville.”

So many people vilified incentives where now we are in a place where people think they are the cause of budget issues when if you eliminate all incentives it wouldn’t even cover annual year to year cost increases of our budget for the same services from the previous year.

EVERY other city is working incentive deals. It’s normal. Nashville’s are minimal. And we are screwed if we aren’t playing ball with anyone for any reason.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Between this: 

“Cooper is taking a similar approach in negotiations with software giant Oracle Corp. to open a major office on the east side of the Cumberland River, where developers have long struggled to attract investment, according to sources close to the deal.

Metro talks with Oracle have dragged on for more than a year. But they slowed even more under the Cooper administration as he took issue with fine points of the deal, sources said.”

and a comment in the NBJ article about the meeting between Cooper and Oracle, I’m willing to bet money the issue it the Cooper not wanting to pitch in to move IMI. 

2 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Between this: 

“Cooper is taking a similar approach in negotiations with software giant Oracle Corp. to open a major office on the east side of the Cumberland River, where developers have long struggled to attract investment, according to sources close to the deal.

Metro talks with Oracle have dragged on for more than a year. But they slowed even more under the Cooper administration as he took issue with fine points of the deal, sources said.”

and a comment in the NBJ article about the meeting between Cooper and Oracle, I’m willing to bet money the issue it the Cooper not wanting to pitch in to move IMI. 

If Cooper's short sightedness screws up high high tech Oracle jobs coming here it is a damn tragedy.

• Like 3

Other pertinent quotes:

“Phillps told The Tennessean on Friday that the administration continues to work on lingering deals. 

"There’s been a few changes they’ve agreed to, that made it better financial deals to the taxpayer," Phillips said, speaking broadly due to the "sensitive nature" of economic deals. 

"We’re not going around wholesale denying legal obligations made. We’re just trying to make them work in the best possible way," he said.”

Re: Microsoft

After the news went public, Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development Commissioner Bob Rolfe hosted Cooper at this office for a photo op. 

But according to a state official, the Microsoft situation "raised eyebrows" internally, with concerns about the city's potential to attract future companies. 

"The moment consultants feel like Nashville isn't open for business, it becomes hostile overnight," the official said. "Once the city is off the list, it's off the list for while."

What we can expect from Cooper’s admin: 

Phillips said Nashville's ECD efforts will be focused on supporting the state through services the city can provide, such as better transportation and infrastructure. Another priority would be strengthening Nashville’s workforce through education and training.”

6 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Other pertinent quotes:

“Phillps told The Tennessean on Friday that the administration continues to work on lingering deals. 

"There’s been a few changes they’ve agreed to, that made it better financial deals to the taxpayer," Phillips said, speaking broadly due to the "sensitive nature" of economic deals. 

"We’re not going around wholesale denying legal obligations made. We’re just trying to make them work in the best possible way," he said.”

Re: Microsoft

After the news went public, Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development Commissioner Bob Rolfe hosted Cooper at this office for a photo op. 

But according to a state official, the Microsoft situation "raised eyebrows" internally, with concerns about the city's potential to attract future companies. 

"The moment consultants feel like Nashville isn't open for business, it becomes hostile overnight," the official said. "Once the city is off the list, it's off the list for while."

What we can expect from Cooper’s admin: 

Phillips said Nashville's ECD efforts will be focused on supporting the state through services the city can provide, such as better transportation and infrastructure. Another priority would be strengthening Nashville’s workforce through education and training.”

Atleast the State spells out what had been obvious: Cooper freaked Microsoft out so bad they said we are out of here.

3 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Atleast the State spells out what had been obvious: Cooper freaked Microsoft out so bad they said we are out of here.

The article mentioned that it was two top aides that attended the meetings, so who knows. No one has confirmed that Cooper was there. 

Although it’s good to finally have something publicly stated by the city re: deals in progress and what the city is looking to help out with(infrastructure and services) vs absolute silence. Lets hope Oracle isn’t spooked too badly and they’re willing to come back to the table. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2

Just now, downtownresident said:

The article mentioned that it was two top aides that attended the meetings, so who knows. No one has confirmed that Cooper was there. 

Well whether or not Cooper was there in person, whatever message was delivered from the City under his direction is getting the finger pointed at it: But according to a state official, the Microsoft situation "raised eyebrows" internally, with concerns about the city's potential to attract future companies. 

Also wonder if "raised eyebrows" in quotations is a direct hint... :tw_joy:

• Haha 2

It doesn't take long for companies to bolt... Even Amazon may be compelled to cut back their eventual number of jobs. I think Cooper may be mistaken if he thinks there is a huge base of support for anti-growth, regressive policies throughout Metro... even in the farthest burbs. 

So could this be an early indicator that Nashville is no long "IT"? 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/21114893/area-job-growth-cools-off

As you all may have noted already, I truly would love to see Mayor Cooper's reckless hostility to businesses, especially downtown to affect his brother Jim Cooper's chances in the election. My question though would apply to all urban areas.... Would people please stop voting automatically for the same morons you've been sending to Washington for years?

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

It doesn't take long for companies to bolt... Even Amazon may be compelled to cut back their eventual number of jobs. I think Cooper may be mistaken if he thinks there is a huge base of support for anti-growth, regressive policies throughout Metro... even in the farthest burbs. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/21114893/area-job-growth-cools-off

Wonder if that stems from all of the mayoral problems from the past year.

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

It's no longer the it city and it's entirely due to the elected local governance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

And what better way to "strengthen Nashville's workforce" than to scare away thousands of high paying tech jobs because you think you have a reputation to uphold!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

As you all may have noted already, I truly would love to see Mayor Cooper's reckless hostility to businesses, especially downtown to affect his brother Jim Cooper's chances in the election. My question though would apply to all urban areas.... Would people please stop voting automatically for the same morons you've been sending to Washington for years?

One of the things mentioned is that the Construction industry employed 4.9% less at the end of 2019 vs 2018. I wonder if that sector will increase again as a few large projects around town start to wind up(AEG, New International Arrivals building at the airport). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

Well whether or not Cooper was there in person, whatever message was delivered from the City under his direction is getting the finger pointed at it: But according to a state official, the Microsoft situation "raised eyebrows" internally, with concerns about the city's potential to attract future companies. 

Also wonder if "raised eyebrows" in quotations is a direct hint... :tw_joy:

And the Nashville business community will come out in force against the mayor when they find out what happened here. Knowing Cooper, he'll tout that to his base as 'being true to his promises' but there's an element of hostility as undertone to the reporting coming out on his dealings with potential relocations. That's not good... and before long companies won't even approach a mayor who's reputed to be a SOB. HELLO!!!! Sumner County! HELLO!!!!! Rutherford! Wilson! Williamson! This may be your opportunity... pitch your proximity to Nashville without having to deal with Mayor Cooper. 

Edited by MLBrumby

I've never heard of a city indicating they were for the most part shutting down business recruitment. They don't even do that in cow towns. 

Edited by JoeyX
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

And the Nashville business community will come out in force against the mayor when they find out what happened here. Knowing Cooper, he'll tout that to his base as 'being true to his promises' but there's an element of hostility as undertone to the reporting coming out on his dealings with potential relocations. That's not good... and before long companies won't even approach a mayor who's reputed to be a SOB. HELLO!!!! Sumner County! HELLO!!!!! Rutherford! Wilson! Williamson! This may be your opportunity... pitch your proximity to Nashville without having to deal with Mayor Cooper. 

Have you heard what happened here? I’m curious to know what his aides could have done to run Microsoft off that quickly. 

Like I've said, Mayor Cooper is going to learn real quick that trying enact abrupt change that is deemed detrimental by the business community almost always pulls the plug on what you're trying to accomplish. 

Does Nashville need to chill out with explosive growth? Absolutely, but his approach is all wrong. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Like I've said, Mayor Cooper is going to learn real quick that trying enact abrupt change that is deemed detrimental by the business community almost always pulls the plug on what you're trying to accomplish. 

Does Nashville need to chill out with explosive growth? Absolutely, but his approach is all wrong. 

Not just abrupt change but retroactive change.

• Like 1

Little background... I am an attorney who is a shareholder in a multi-state firm that has offices throughout Tennessee. In our business... it's a pretty small world with state and local governments. I admit my bias against Jim Cooper (please don't ascribe that to anything you think might be my political affiliation)... I've met the man on several occasions and have been UNimpressed each time. He's a sour, negative person. He has an obviously entitled attitude toward his constituents... to his district...  even to his own state (hell, his kids didn't even go to school in TN).  It's the kind of entitlement you see as caricature to children of governors (as the Coopers are) and influential people.  I do not know John Cooper, but everything I'm learning/hearing about him is very reminiscent of his brother.  That's where my associations with people in the legal field have opened my eyes to John Cooper. He is NOT respected as a businessman, and is generally considered to have received his lofty education because of his father's powerful positions. He's not considered very bright.... even among the 'progressive' people I know in my field. One of my closest liberal friends was the one I first heard say John Cooper is an old-style populist who will say/do anything to make his constituents angry enough to vote for him.   I knew last summer when he was running against the rather unremarkable David Briley, that he would not be good for Nashville's boom. I'm a bit shocked at how soon that has been confirmed. I think that goes to his hostility. I understand it's a Cooper thing... it's a self-righteous sort of defiance toward those people/entities/etc. that they've convinced their staunchest supporters who have wronged them. Like I said, I've never even met John Cooper. So maybe I should just STFU now. 

18 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Have you heard what happened here? I’m curious to know what his aides could have done to run Microsoft off that quickly. 

Onlyl second-hand info. So I shouldn't comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1