Charlotte Pipe &Foundry redevelopment

rockhilljames

15 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Unfortunately I don't think I can confirm anything yet, and I want to be correct 🙂

Based on what I've seen most buyers already have a plan built out of exactly they want to do in regard to development, would this be the case here too? I.E., would it be an announcement of purchase and their plans, or just the purchase?  I think rezoning has already been completed to make this site available to pretty much anything right? 

5 minutes ago, unctarheels said:

Based on what I've seen most buyers already have a plan built out of exactly they want to do in regard to development, would this be the case here too? I.E., would it be an announcement of purchase and their plans, or just the purchase?  I think rezoning has already been completed to make this site available to pretty much anything right? 

I would imagine they have a basic masterplan, I would peg this at a 10-15 year full build-out based on the size of the parcels. The factory itself could be longer, its going to be a beotch to remediate.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RANYC said:

Is Panther Park a concept that's been discussed before, or just an offspring of the doodling?

It's not, but I'd absolutely expect a park component to this property. a 10% open space requirement would mean a 5-acre park, I'd push for 15-20% personally.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Carolinaboy's Tuesday afternoon waiting for 5:00 doodle:

Iron Works Site.jpg

Still crazy to me how many open grassy lots there are over here.

7 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I would imagine they have a basic masterplan, I would peg this at a 10-15 year full build-out based on the size of the parcels. The factory itself could be longer, its going to be a beotch to remediate.

You think they would do each parcel individually or maybe group them together?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CLT Development said:

It's not, but I'd absolutely expect a park component to this property. a 10% open space requirement would mean a 5-acre park, I'd push for 15-20% personally.

I take this back, after speaking to Meck County... I didn't take into account roads, sidewalks, and ROWs when calculating, so it would likely require a 2-3 acre park. It does sound like the County has already been engaged so it would seem that there is at least a masterplan in mind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Really good to hear that it may be heavily residential though. We don't need more office towers there. A bunch of residents may increase the energy and liveliness of Uptown. Pair some good retail too and I'd be excited.

there is not much office market anywhere right now surplus in every city.  They will build I would think an office building or two but most likely only after housing is done in earnest first. 

• Like 2

Weird twist of a take: the immaculate lawns never bothered me since Morehead and 277 create this weird divide for the property. Its the fences for me. The fences are oddly prominent. I understand why they are there, but they give off a stranger vibe than the grass to me.

Makes it look like some secret facility with the buildings so distant from the road, etc.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Yes it will be Trammell Crow of Dallas buying the entire site.   TC can do it all retail (Arboretum here in Charlotte) office (Charlotte Plaza)  residential (multiple apartment complexes) and they do quite a few high rises around the nation too. 

""The Charlotte Pipe & Foundry site near uptown has been targeted by global real estate giant Trammell Crow Co. to lead a major, multi-phase development.

Sources familiar with the plans say the Dallas-based company is in talks to manage the future of the 55.5-acre site bordering South End's Gold District and near Bank of America Stadium. The property was previously home to Charlotte Pipe's cast iron foundry that dates back more than a century.

Trammell Crow is a wholly owned subsidiary of CBRE (NYSE:CBRE), which has been marketing the site for the Dowd family, which founded Charlotte Pipe in 1901, and continues to lead it. The decision to market the property followed Charlotte Pipe's move of the foundry operations to a new $460 million facility in Stanly County’s Oakboro.""

Charlotte Pipe & Foundry site under contract in Charlotte's uptown? - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Well...if they built the arboretum!! 

that was a 1980s/early 90s project but yes they did.  The point is they can build it themselves as opposed to selling off to other developers. 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:08 PM, KJHburg said:

I was thinking about this property the other day for no reason and went by and took a look at the site.  Still a little bit of activity at the plant probably dismantling equipment etc.  I hope 2024 is the year a major announcement happens with a new owner and my prediction if that does happen this could develop quicker than First Ward or maybe even Brooklyn.   As this would be all private owners  unlike involving reluctant landowners or government agencies.  

55.5 acres but 31.4 acres is inside the 277 loop off Morehead and is a good bit vacant.  1200 feet on I-77. 1100 feet frontage on 277.  1200 feet on Morehead Street.

the smaller part is where the actual plant is located outside 277 loop.  The views of the uptown skyline would be awesome.   A few buildings on the larger north parcel including a training center for CP&F.  

The Iron District (irondistrictcharlotte.com)

I will put this property on the 2024 watch list.  

20240104_122900.jpg

31 acres of this site is inside 277 remember that and construction could begin almost immediately due to brownfields agreements already in place.  the last tract that probably will be developed will be the actual plant site right outside the loop. 

• Like 2