Dickerson & Meridian : twelve 3 to 7 story residential complex; 1,150 units; internal garages; some retail; 14.4 acres; $300+ million cost

markhollin

On 12/2/2021 at 8:06 PM, Bos2Nash said:

CREA has confirmed that they have closed on the Riverchase Apartments property. Pillars Development will also be involved once construction starts serving as community liaison and owners rep project manager. 

According to the register of deeds records, it sold for $30,050,000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got this email from Stand Up Nashville. Can CM Parker legally hold up rezoning until the developer enters into a CBA? I’m all for it for projects on metro land or using metro money (mls and titans stadium), but it seems like a slippery slope requiring a private developer to do it.  I’m sure the state would have something to say about it. 

“Dear Thomas Webber

Do you believe that Nashville and its local residents deserve access to affordable housing, good jobs, and diverse, inclusive neighborhoods? Are you concerned about the increasingly rapid pace of gentrification making Nashville impossible to afford?

Send a letter asking Metro Council members to have Councilmember Sean Parker's back and defer rezoning until the Community Benefits Agreement in East Nashville is finalized! (Follow our link to email Council at the click of a button!)

The purpose of this letter campaign is for Nashvillians to organize together and make it clear to Metro Council that the community around RiverChase apartments has strong expectations about the development there: it should benefit the community, maintain the inclusive, diverse community in McFerrin Park, and NOT simply lead to more displacement. Critically, the CBA will also set a precedent for development in the rest of Nashville.

District 5's councilmember, Sean Parker, supports holding off the rezoning of RiverChase until the Community Benefits Agreement has been negotiated.  Stand Up Nashville is asking residents from all over the city to get involved by sending a letter to Council to ensure that Nashville and its local residents can have access to the information, affordable housing, and good jobs.

You can also share these other links to the letter campaign:
bit.ly/wewantastrongCBA (the link is CASE SENSITIVE)

Thank you,

Isaac 

Stand Up Nashville”

18 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I just got this email from Stand Up Nashville. Can CM Parker legally hold up rezoning until the developer enters into a CBA? I’m all for it for projects on metro land or using metro money (mls and titans stadium), but it seems like a slippery slope requiring a private developer to do it.  I’m sure the state would have something to say about it. 

“Dear Thomas Webber

Do you believe that Nashville and its local residents deserve access to affordable housing, good jobs, and diverse, inclusive neighborhoods? Are you concerned about the increasingly rapid pace of gentrification making Nashville impossible to afford?

Send a letter asking Metro Council members to have Councilmember Sean Parker's back and defer rezoning until the Community Benefits Agreement in East Nashville is finalized! (Follow our link to email Council at the click of a button!)

The purpose of this letter campaign is for Nashvillians to organize together and make it clear to Metro Council that the community around RiverChase apartments has strong expectations about the development there: it should benefit the community, maintain the inclusive, diverse community in McFerrin Park, and NOT simply lead to more displacement. Critically, the CBA will also set a precedent for development in the rest of Nashville.

District 5's councilmember, Sean Parker, supports holding off the rezoning of RiverChase until the Community Benefits Agreement has been negotiated.  Stand Up Nashville is asking residents from all over the city to get involved by sending a letter to Council to ensure that Nashville and its local residents can have access to the information, affordable housing, and good jobs.

You can also share these other links to the letter campaign:
bit.ly/wewantastrongCBA (the link is CASE SENSITIVE)

Thank you,

Isaac 

Stand Up Nashville”

I guess CM Parker could decide to not bring the bill forward or defer the bill until a CBA signed. I could definitely see the state legislature involved if this becomes a normal practice. 

I do think that this development is an interesting target, given the developers plan to maintain existing affordable units, and to build additional / assist with relocation of existing residents. 

• Like 2

Slippery slope indeed. I think if the legislation is held up the developer may well bring a lawsuit as they are being singled out. If you treat one project this way, you have to treat all projects like this.  The state will come down hard on this when it is brought to their attention I predict as a way to circumvent the law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I received the same email @WebberThomas4. Honestly, this is just like any other project when it comes to the SP process. If you don't have the support of the CM, then it is not going to move forwards. The community groups are in CM Parker's ear and while that is not a bad thing, I think the tone that SUN has taken on this one is off putting. CREA – IMO – has done a great job in terms of how they have approached this project. They are providing an increase count in affordable units, while even offering to deed restrict those units to preserve the affordable nature when/if they ever sell the property. They are providing relocation assistance while also giving priority to current residents to return when the development is complete. SUN has not mentioned these initiatives in any of their communication about the project and wanting a CBA for it. Having a CBA is a great way to get developers to make and hold promises and are also great ways for us to get affordable housing and good paying construction jobs. To me, SUN is just taking too much of the "we are disruptors, higher than thou" approach.

SUN wants to change the development game in Nashville, and I applaud their effort to do so. I think CBAs are a great way for developments to work around the BS the state has put Metro through when it comes to infrastructure (ie impact fees) and affordable housing (ie inclusionary zoning). CREA appears to be a willing participant in this kind of process, but if SUN continues to villanize these projects under the guise of gentrification, they are making their jobs so much harder than it has to be.

I understand what you are saying, but it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It is not part of the Metro planning process under the Metro charter. It is going to be a big deal and cause a lot of problems if this is the norm from now on. If you have every developer refusing to play ball, then all of the sudden development is dead in Nashville. If every council person tries this, I guarantee the state will be involved tomorrow passing legislation to ban CBA's because the developers will lobby the state.

This is a pandoras box folks. Beware of what you wish for.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I understand what you are saying, but it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It is not part of the Metro planning process under the Metro charter. It is going to be a big deal and cause a lot of problems if this is the norm from now on. If you have every developer refusing to play ball, then all of the sudden development is dead in Nashville. If every council person tries this, I guarantee the state will be involved tomorrow passing legislation to ban CBA's because the developers will lobby the state.

This is a pandoras box folks. Beware of what you wish for.

Agree to a certain extent. It might not be part of the process under the Charter, but could someone enlighten me about how much of the SP process is written into the charter? The SP process is a massive game of roulette in terms of it is already opening Pandoras box with regards to what can happen. The CM is the gatekeeper when it comes to SPs, without their support there isn't an SP and that is the correct course because an SP is typically asking the city to go above and beyond zoning, no matter what your opinion is on current zoning. 

I don't think this sort of approach won't kill development per say, but it would probably push alot more "by-right" development. 

In reality, a CBA for this project really isn't going to be a big deal I don't think. I think the biggest "missing piece" from what SUN mentioned in their letter is the better wages for the construction crew. This really comes down to who CREA is going to hire as a GC and what they pay their crews.  The reason I was so frustrated by this email is because SUN did not include what the developer is already doing for the project prior to this discussion. Similar to how the Titans are hitting the buzzwords of affordability and all that, SUN is just trying to rile folks up against the "big bad developer"

• Like 2

Received another email from SUN regarding the CBA. Nothing really new to report, but I find it interesting that by “well paying jobs and worker protections” they specifically point to union co structure jobs.

324C6E99-D2F4-44C1-B254-C130A7B55071.thumb.jpeg.675d77d3266053e26ca9a60a33d78805.jpeg

While I’m not a staunch supporter or buster of unions, I do not feel like that stipulation in the current construction market is necessary. Additionally, the fact that CREA brought all the requested items to the table before SUN got involved tells me that CREA may balk at the Union aspect and I would generally support them balking at it. I do believe a CBA would be productive to hold CREA accountable, but the union worker stipulation should not be something that kills this development. 

• Like 2

A coalition of Nashville advocacy organizations is negotiating a community benefits agreement with a real estate investment firm set to redevelop the Riverchase Apartment complex in East Nashville.

Stand Up Nashville announced the beginning of negotiations with Texas-based Cypress Real Estate Advisors (CREA).

The agreement will be the second of its kind in Nashville, after Stand Up Nashville's agreement with the Nashville Soccer Club for the GEODIS Stadium development.

Stand Up Nashville and several other community groups joined Metro Council members on the steps of the Metro Courthouse earlier this month to call for an agreement that would provide a path for Riverchase's remaining residents to return to the neighborhood. 

The groups and council members co-signed a letter to CREA pushing for affordable housing, the creation and support of good jobs and worker protections.

Laborers International Union of North America representative David Rutledge said Tuesday that CREA has been "very communicative" and initiated the formal negotiations for the community benefits agreement.

"I think that they are acting in good faith and really trying to the greatest extent possible to do right by the residents there and do right by the community, recognizing that they're also responsible to shareholders," Rutledge said.

Groups involved in negotiations include:

Stand Up Nashville
NOAH
The Equity Alliance
LiUNA
SEIU Local 205
McFerrin Park Neighborhood Association

More at behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2022/03/21/nashville-affordable-housing-riverchase-apartments-rent/7053970001/

• 1 month later...

Cypress Real Estate Advisors and local nonprofit organizations including The Equity Alliance, Stand Up Nashville and Nashville Organized for Action and Hope have reached an “impasse” in negotiations over a proposed community benefits agreement related to CREA’s planned redevelopment of the RiverChase Apartments site in East Nashville.
- - -
The parties met Thursday. Stand Up Nashville representatives said in a release that the sticking point was qualifications for the affordable housing units to be included in the new project. Representatives said that they first proposed affordable units reserved for those making no more than 30 percent of Area Median Income. The organization said they later upped their proposal as high as 65 percent of AMI, but CREA would not drop the qualification below 80 percent AMI.  
- - -
Despite CREA and the nonprofit organizations failing to reach an agreement, the firm is still committing to build 220 units of affordable housing within the proposed 1,150-unit community and agree to various other community benefits, including green space.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/developer-local-nonprofits-can-t-agree-on-housing/article_63bb55f0-e337-11ec-bb36-97a289dbb231.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/developer-local-nonprofits-can-t-agree-on-housing/article_63bb55f0-e337-11ec-bb36-97a289dbb231.html

CREA and Stand Up Nashville cannot come to an agreement. It’s time to move on with PATHE.

Here’s an article from WPLN: https://wpln.org/post/displaced-riverchase-residents-feel-tension-as-community-groups-split-on-their-demands-of-developer/

Something that I found interesting in the article that I had not yet heard

“P.A.T.H.E.’s original agreement with the developer became a starting point for Stand Up.

In an old draft, Stand Up axed P.A.T.H.E. out of any deal and asked the developer to pay the organization $1.25 million for breaking the agreement.

The demand caught some side eyes and has since been dropped.

“We took that million dollars off the table,” says Nathaniel Carter with Stand Up Nashville. “We don’t want people to think we’re trying to take somebody down for some money. You know, that was for us paying for a monitor over a certain amount of years.”

He says the point was to make sure there were teeth in the agreement to discourage the developer from breaking it.“

• Thanks 1

One thing that does rub the wrong way is the CM in that district pushing union. That is not the place of a CM IMO to be doing this. If you look at all of his Twitter feeds and such it says union… yes. That should not be his own little agenda bit the wishes of the majority of those living in the district.

• Like 3