Haven at The Gulch, 11 stories, 299 apts, $100 million

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 6:55 AM, markhollin said:

Haven, Dec 3, 2021, render 1.png

On 12/18/2021 at 10:28 AM, downtownresident said:

Also, I know it's been beat to death, but who in their right mind greenlit the design of the Haven?

For all it's faults with the finishing of the exterior, the massing itself of Haven is solid. Being outside of the MDHA redevelopment districts, the DTC would be the only code that would be able to dictate materials (high quality as listed on page 68 in the General Standards) and I believe those were only updated recently for high quality materials. Our city is evolving and not everything is going to be a solid development, but this development is adding 299 units to our city, 16 of which are 3-bedroom (1,388 SF each and is more than some of the other "great" developments have provided). 

But hey, at least folks will back off the Westin now haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Part of Dickerson Road also falls into an MDHA redevelopment district so they will be extra strict on materials. I think any SP we see moving forwards will also have quite strict material declarations.

I totally forgot about that Redevelopment District up there. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, VSRJ said:

I try to find at least one or two positive attributes about the design of a building, but this one is just...terrible.

The only positive thing that comes to mind for me is that the massing is sorta interesting when coming up the Division St connector, but this is ruined of course by the horrible, flat exterior. I really wish that this one could have been stopped or held to a higher design standard when it was proposed. It will only look worse too as the Albion rises next to it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, henburg said:

The only positive thing that comes to mind for me is that the massing is sorta interesting when coming up the Division St connector, but this is ruined of course by the horrible, flat exterior. I really wish that this one could have been stopped or held to a higher design standard when it was proposed. It will only look worse too as the Albion rises next to it.

I agree about the interesting massing. This building is actually kind of fun to see heading over the connector away from downtown if you think of the flat, color block exterior as a modernist painting or an attempt at an optical illusion. It can actually look quite attractive on a sunny day with the matte of the building contrasting with the sheen of the perforated metal bridge siding. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...