LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

11 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Based on what I've seen, here is what my take on the definition of woke is:  Woke is the realization that if you're white, you are a racist (white shaming; Coca Cola Be Less White, etc.).  if you don't think you're a racist, then you are subconsciously racist whether you know it or not (subconscious racism).  therefore, you need to be reconditioned (fill in the blank) for the betterment of a more "tolerant" society.  The application of "woke" has transcended race and now includes sexual transitioning issues with male swimmers in female locker rooms, etc.

Referring to a policy as being "woke" may be something The Right did or is doing, while said policy by The Left has no label in and of itself other than being considered by The Left as being "normal" or morally correct.   So The Right calls it out as being woke, and the The Left complains about it therefore calling The Right a bunch of racists for doing so.  This is an attempt by The Left to "shame" them into agreement with their agenda.

Now, it is not just The Right calling out policies as being woke.  You even have left-leaning Democrats calling this stuff out as it comes from the extreme Left.

I first heard the term during BLM riots; and actual protesters either used the term or had signs with it on them. 

It's a way to foster division while pushing an agenda. 

So, what is considered racist?  Daylight savings time is one thing.  The SAT's are another.  Not going to see a "woke" movie is also racist.  Having security guards at a retail store is racist.  Next, they'll say flying United over Spirit is racist.

The Chinese and Arabs are laughing at us...

Erykah said the definition of woke "just means being aware. Being in alignment with nature, because if you're alignment with that, you're aware of everything that's going on. And it's not only in the political arena, that means with your health, that means in your relationships, that means in your home, that means in your car, that means in your sleep..."

She understands the term has taken on an energy of its own. The Right regularly uses the term woke in a derogatory, disparaging way... basically to demean any boogeyman agenda they want to rail against whether politically, racially or environmentally. It's funny how the party of "less government" has no problem using government intervention the most when it suits them.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:31 PM, nite owℓ said:

Erykah said the definition of woke "just means being aware. Being in alignment with nature, because if you're alignment with that, you're aware of everything that's going on. And it's not only in the political arena, that means with your health, that means in your relationships, that means in your home, that means in your car, that means in your sleep..."

She understands the term has taken on an energy of its own. The Right regularly uses the term woke in a derogatory, disparaging way... basically to demean any boogeyman agenda they want to rail against whether politically, racially or environmentally. It's funny how the party of "less government" has no problem using government intervention the most when it suits them.

Are you saying a woke agenda doesn't exist or that it does but is being mischaracterized?  And how does being a party of less government- how does that play into being for or against a woke agenda?  I ask because it isn't just The Right complaining about a woke agenda or what have you...

On 7/31/2023 at 11:31 PM, nite owℓ said:

Well, whatever this "Erykah" person said, whoever she/he/other pronoun is... it's not what woke was supposed to mean according to BLM who reintroduced it into the modern lexicon during the Ferguson riots.

It was an attempt by BLM to spread victimhood propaganda, which suggested that everyone should be guided by the belief that black people are perennial victims of whites and that whites should feel guilty about being the evil people we must be, while taking pity on black people and giving them endless concessions, like not arresting them anymore when they commit crimes, etc, etc. 

Basically it was a small part of a larger attempt to place themselves above and untouchable by the law.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, orange87 said:

The people writing this article missed the whole point...

DISCLAIMER: I am about to shred the FormerThick Zaddy:

He goes on to say it is up to Congress to tighten the laws against the procedure.  Didn't SCROTUS just say it's up to the states?  Now, he thinks it should be legislated centrally?  WTF?  Talk about pussing out of the responsibility to having a position on the matter instead of owning up to it; he wants to say it's DC's responsibility.  Well, if that's the case, why didn't you just leave it the way it was after the SCROTUS decision?  fudge!ng hypocrite...  Next time he needs to just STFU instead of blaming Congress to score points with the NE.  I hate Congress as it is, but nobody twisted his arm to come up with 6 1/2 weeks...

Now, good people of UP...pardon me while I go douche upon having read that article...

12 hours ago, jrs2 said:

He goes on to say it is up to Congress to tighten the laws against the procedure.  Didn't SCROTUS just say it's up to the states?  Now, he thinks it should be legislated centrally?  WTF?  Talk about pussing out of the responsibility to having a position on the matter instead of owning up to it; he wants to say it's DC's responsibility.  Well, if that's the case, why didn't you just leave it the way it was after the SCROTUS decision?  fudge!ng hypocrite...  Next time he needs to just STFU instead of blaming Congress to score points with the NE.  I hate Congress as it is, but nobody twisted his arm to come up with 6 1/2 weeks...

Now, good people of UP...pardon me while I go douche upon having read that article...

The SCOTUS decision just said its not a constitutional issue, it did not restrict the federal government from passing a law, through the legislature, from regulating abortions, just that the courts may not tell the states what abortion laws they can have. Federal law would still pre-empt state law, but the Democrats and Obama, during his presidency years when they controlled both the house and senate, did come out against granting abortion rights into federal law even though its been recognized for a while its based on very shaky rulings.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrs2 said:

In his defense, not every republican agreed why Roe was bad. Many were just pro life and would absolutely support federal involvement. Others were a mix people that believed the original and subsequent rulings did not have a constitutional basis or believe is subsidiarity. Which is why the pro life movement does not look too strong right now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jack said:

In his defense, not every republican agreed why Roe was bad. Many were just pro life and would absolutely support federal involvement. Others were a mix people that believed the original and subsequent rulings did not have a constitutional basis or believe is subsidiarity. Which is why the pro life movement does not look too strong right now. 

I haven't read into all this in any great detail beyond what I wrote about and that article, but that does make sense.   And...David agrees with me...

david 2.gif

14 hours ago, aent said:

The SCOTUS decision just said its not a constitutional issue, it did not restrict the federal government from passing a law, through the legislature, from regulating abortions, just that the courts may not tell the states what abortion laws they can have. Federal law would still pre-empt state law, but the Democrats and Obama, during his presidency years when they controlled both the house and senate, did come out against granting abortion rights into federal law even though its been recognized for a while its based on very shaky rulings.

https://newsdaytonabeach.com/stories/desantis-suspends-elected-prosecutor-monique-worrell,52170

Here's something I actually agree with.  It's Melvin Bragg all over again.  And even though she says its a smokescreen, I actually know about a couple of cases thru peers of mine where she decided not to prosecute when she should have.  This happened a couple months back.  Dems will complain, but I saw firsthand how her willingness to tote her party's lines on this whole woke non-prosecutorial movement, how it affected real cases and real people which were affected by the perps' guilt which went unpunished.  The charges in those cases brought by her ridiculously weak and let them off scott free.  Had I known this was going on with her, I would have contacted DeSantis' office myself. 

So, she is full of it on this one.  Had I not known about those cases I referenced, I'd be prone to believe what she said in the article about him deflecting. 

This extends to OPD too; add to that the garage car break in(s) that OPD refused to follow up on from the winter of 2022 where the security guard had the perp in his sights and OPD blew him off.  I was involved in one of those incidences.

In fact, I might contact his office anyway and see whether those other cases were on the "list" he based his decision on.

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://newsdaytonabeach.com/stories/desantis-suspends-elected-prosecutor-monique-worrell,52170

Here's something I actually agree with.  It's Melvin Bragg all over again.  And even though she says its a smokescreen, I actually know about a couple of cases thru peers of mine where she decided not to prosecute when she should have.  This happened a couple months back.  Dems will complain, but I saw firsthand how her willingness to tote her party's lines on this whole woke non-prosecutorial movement, how it affected real cases and real people which were affected by the perps' guilt which went unpunished.  The charges in those cases brought by her ridiculously weak and let them off scott free.  Had I known this was going on with her, I would have contacted DeSantis' office myself. 

So, she is full of it on this one.  Had I not known about those cases I referenced, I'd be prone to believe what she said in the article about him deflecting. 

This extends to OPD too; add to that the garage car break in(s) that OPD refused to follow up on from the winter of 2022 where the security guard had the perp in his sights and OPD blew him off.  I was involved in one of those incidences.

In fact, I might contact his office anyway and see whether those other cases were on the "list" he based his decision on.

A close friend of mine is a prosecutor. He drops cases all of the time for lack of evidence that the arresting officers and general public disagrees with. Yes, cops get mad if they think its s a slam dunk case but the office prosecutors office he works for does not like wasting resources for cases they think they will lose. 

Also, they keep a list of "non reliable" officers that help determine if a case moves forward. 

My point is just because it seems like a slam dunk case, does not mean it is. 

Florida also has mandatory minimums and for offenses that don't, judges many times set the duration of prison. It is a lot more complicated than what is being presented. 

3 hours ago, jack said:

A close friend of mine is a prosecutor. He drops cases all of the time for lack of evidence that the arresting officers and general public disagrees with. Yes, cops get mad if they think its s a slam dunk case but the office prosecutors office he works for does not like wasting resources for cases they think they will lose. 

Also, they keep a list of "non reliable" officers that help determine if a case moves forward. 

My point is just because it seems like a slam dunk case, does not mean it is. 

Florida also has mandatory minimums and for offenses that don't, judges many times set the duration of prison. It is a lot more complicated than what is being presented. 

So here's the deal:  Pre-Trial Diversion versus "Pre-Charge Diversion"-

She is offering Pre-Charge Diversion, and not even charging defendants of, say, battery, and they are not even enforcing the remediation program that you would have to comply with if it was Pre-Trial Diversion and they don't have to sign off on any paperwork either.  So it is no different than Catch and Release.

I have a friend that's a PD and he's never heard of Pre-Charge Diversion until recently.  It's a bullsh!t construct of legalese to catch and release under the air of legitimacy.  

57 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So here's the deal:  Pre-Trial Diversion versus "Pre-Charge Diversion"-

She is offering Pre-Charge Diversion, and not even charging defendants of, say, battery, and they are not even enforcing the remediation program that you would have to comply with if it was Pre-Trial Diversion and they don't have to sign off on any paperwork either.  So it is no different than Catch and Release.

I have a friend that's a PD and he's never heard of Pre-Charge Diversion until recently.  It's a bullsh!t construct of legalese to catch and release under the air of legitimacy.  

Thats sounds like "we may not win at trial so please don't get into any more trouble". 

1 hour ago, jack said:

Thats sounds like "we may not win at trial so please don't get into any more trouble". 

They say it has to do with whether they already have a record, but, there are bona-fide charges involved of an actual crime.  They let them off with no enforcement of the remedial program. The victim doesn't even know about it. And they would have to request that the defendant sign off on the paperwork that enforces it otherwise its catch and release. 

With Pre-Trial Diversion, they are actually charged, but it doesn't go further if the defendant complies with the program.  They got you by the balls here, so you comply. With the other, they release you with no record of ever being charged, because you are NEVER charged, yet you committed said crime.

7 hours ago, jack said:

I really don't understand how we, as a country, cannot at the very least fire these officers who have been deemed "non reliable" (typically known liars under oath... i.e, criminals themselves)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, aent said:

I really don't understand how we, as a country, cannot at the very least fire these officers who have been deemed "non reliable" (typically known liars under oath... i.e, criminals themselves)

Prosecutors just work around the issue. They need to keep a healthy relationship with officers since they need them to pursue cases. But it is a problem. 

On 8/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, aent said:

Florida is really a mixed bag.  Depending on the county you're in, you can have the good ole boy network commit "crimes" and they all cover for each other.  In other counties, they don't prosecute like they "should."  There needs to be a balance within these counties, not amongst them.  And way too many times departments do internal investigations and sweep things under the rug.  They should outlaw internal investigations and have FDLE involved EVERY TIME, especially when a killing is involved.

Every time the Dems or minorities complain about the Popo, I tend to want to roll my eyes UNTIL I see or experience something heinous.  And there is yet another "event" in another county that has occurred that actually legitimizes the defund crowd.  I never thought I would hear myself say it. But then again, I did attend a PETA die-in recently...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jack said:

Prosecutors just work around the issue. They need to keep a healthy relationship with officers since they need them to pursue cases. But it is a problem. 

Prosecutors are unable to work around the issue if a person who, legitimately commits a crime and deserves to get in trouble, cannot get in trouble because the officer who happened to arrest them and right the initial report is in on the list of "unreliable" cops

55 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I heard it described that way this morning on one of the Sunday politics shows. 

Meet The Press or This Week. 

DeSenseless is a boob. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 6:21 PM, orange87 said:

So typical of his obnoxious little jackass attitude when, rather than express remorse over the destruction of a 100 year old, living piece of Florida's history that had witnessed every major event of the 20th and 21st century so far, he acts like he couldn't give a sh*t while boasting about his kids having more room to hit baseballs.  

I seriously think his political calculation is that, if being an obnoxious jerk makes Trump the most popular Republican in party history, then being an obnoxious jerk could do the same for him.

He really seems to go out of his way to be as big of an a-hole as possible. 

On 9/1/2023 at 9:35 PM, JFW657 said:

So typical of his obnoxious little jackass attitude when, rather than express remorse over the destruction of a 100 year old, living piece of Florida's history that had witnessed every major event of the 20th and 21st century so far, he acts like he couldn't give a sh*t while boasting about his kids having more room to hit baseballs.  

I seriously think his political calculation is that, if being an obnoxious jerk makes Trump the most popular Republican in party history, then being an obnoxious jerk could do the same for him.

Wait, now Republicans acting like little jackasses is he is not showing remorse to an old TREE that crushed a portion of his home? Its a tree damaged by a hurricane.

If you wanna see a jackass, like at how Biden acted in Maui, comparing the devastating fires and loss of life to a little house fire he had when no one was home, and he had multiple other homes to stay in while the minor damage was repaired.

7 hours ago, aent said:

Wait, now Republicans acting like little jackasses is he is not showing remorse to an old TREE that crushed a portion of his home? Its a tree damaged by a hurricane.

If you wanna see a jackass, like at how Biden acted in Maui, comparing the devastating fires and loss of life to a little house fire he had when no one was home, and he had multiple other homes to stay in while the minor damage was repaired.

Pretty weak comparison, inasmuch as I was talking about DeShameless' attitude.

Maybe Biden's comparison of his small kitchen fire to the Maui tragedy was stretching it a bit, but at least he was expressing compassion and empathy.

DeShameless has never expressed empathy for anything or anyone that I can recall.

Losing a historic, century old tree certainly does not rise to the same level of tragedy as losing lives, but a decent human being would have treated it with more than the obnoxious shoulder shrug and brush off as an opportunity for his spoiled, privileged kids to play ball.