Greenville Highrise Index

goodbye

Speaking of the Pinnacle:

I have been out of town for 10 days so we will try to coordinte the event this week, but we have several "people" to schedule with (Almost like herding cats!)

AGH! This angers me. It's a freaking ground breaking! You schedule these thing ahead of time, not on a whim. It's sounds like he just does not care. If you're trying to schedule a ceremony with limited notice, just don't bother. I'd rather see a crane rising as a sign of construction rather than some man talking about it. :whistling:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's Bob Ellis's secret uptown tower that will consist of 1 to 1.25 blocks. I can tell you that it will be at least over 15 stories tall as it stands right now, but I don't know how many stories tall it will be totally. It will be located in the uptown part of downtown. I don't know what site in that part of downtown it will be built on, but it will be a fairly large site for it to consume 1-1.25 blocks. Expect an announcement sometime in the 2nd quarter of 2007, which is Spring-Summer.

I think this is the tower that btoy had talked about months back which was going to be the state's new tallest, but was scaled back. Sounds like it could still be major if it is over 15. Keep us updated gman, even if you get the smallest detail :thumbsup:

On a side note, Anyone else think it is odd that someone who has had so much trouble getting one project underway has also been planning another, even larger project?

^^^I will definitely be sure to keep you updated. I was actually very suprised this secret uptown tower project was as far along in planning as Bob Ellis said it was, because a month ago it didn't even look like it was going to happen. Glad I was wrong though. I don't think it's that odd he is planning another larger project. At least he is not giving up on trying to get skyscrapers built downtown unlike the TAFAB and the Camperdown Condos developers.

Ok, don't know if Skyliner still has ongoing list or not so:

Ones we think will happen over the next three years or so:

1. Pinnacle on Main

2. Peacock

3. Rhett St Condo

4. Riverplace Phase 3

5. City Hall Plaza

6. Federal Courthouse

Possible

1. Bob Ellis Uptown Tower

2. Office Tower at Mag park

3. Residential Tower at Mag Park

4. Development at Old Woolworth Site

Other Mid-Rise

1. Bookends Phase 2

2. Site of Green Monster beside Army-Navy

3. Palmetto HQ

4. Another hotel or 2 at the Point

If all these actually get built, it will make quite an impact. I did not include the doubtfuls like the Camperdown, and for the Midrise, I based it on at least 4 stories with significant heights (not something like Brick St Lofts).

I am sure there are probably more, so please add...

Ok, it's Bob Ellis's secret uptown tower that will consist of 1 to 1.25 blocks. I can tell you that it will be at least over 15 stories tall as it stands right now, but I don't know how many stories tall it will be totally. It will be located in the uptown part of downtown. I don't know what site in that part of downtown it will be built on, but it will be a fairly large site for it to consume 1-1.25 blocks. Expect an announcement sometime in the 2nd quarter of 2007, which is Spring-Summer.

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I hope it is closer to 20 than 15, but even if it's just 15 it will be great. We are getting a great skyline cluster in the North Main area, with Landmark, Liberty Square 1 and 2, Pinnacle on Main, and now Bob Ellis's secret uptown tower. That alone will make a nice statement, and that doesn't even include BofA, Poinsett Plaza, Westin, Peacock, etc. :thumbsup:

G-man, I trust you enough to get excited about this one. Thanks for doing the investigative work, and an even bigger thank you for sharing it! :)

Edited by Greenville

Bob Ellis informed today that he doesn't know what the height of the secret uptown tower will be and that it could be anywhere between 5-20 stories. So, technically it could be only 5 stories tall. Hopefully, it will be towards the 20-story range though. Also, the building(s) will be mixed-use. He told me it would be over 15 stories a couple months ago, so it could of gone down like btoy said, but hopefully not.

Edited by g-man430

Bob Ellis informed today that he doesn't know what the height of the secret uptown tower will be and that it could be anywhere between 5-20 stories. So, technically it could be only 5 stories tall. Hopefully, it will be towards the 20-story range though. Also, the building(s) will be mixed-use. He told me it would be over 15 stories a couple months ago, so it could of gone down like btoy said, but hopefully not.

That is quite a range there. He must be waiting on a rather large tenant to make a decision.

I am going to be very upset if it's a bland 5-story building, especially after all this anticipation. Let's keep our fingers crossed for at least 15...

I am not so sure that these are the same projects anymore.

I think I missed a staff meeting or memo somewhere but who is Bob Ellis? Is this the same person who has been a radio personality locally?

You're probably refering to Bill Ellis, of "Ellis & Bradley in the Morning," on WSSL 100fm. He and Beth usually do a short piece on WSPA's Daybreak show.

Bob Ellis, the architect, is definitely in a different line of business altogether.

To Update with your suggestions:

Likely in the next 3 years:

1. Pinnacle on Main

2. Peacock

3. Rhett St Condo

4. Riverplace Phase 3

5. City Hall Plaza

6. Federal Courthouse

7. Residential Tower at Mag Park

8. Office Tower at Mag Park

Possible

1. Bob Ellis Uptown Tower

2. Woolworth Development

3. Main at McBee

Other Mid-Rise

1. Bookends Phase 2

2. Site of Green Monster beside Army-Navy

3. Palmetto HQ

4. Another hotel or 2 at the Point

5. Shealy Elec Site

Edited by distortedlogic

Are you saying that this along with the secret uptown tower are two different projects now? :unsure:

Unfortunately I think he means that the state tallest project died, and this is one to take it's place. :unsure:

The possible states new tallest was dead in that form long long ago. All I am saying is that I am not sure that what Bob is working on now is the same project as before, I don't know that it is the same client and/ or location.

^^^I got a new email today from Bob Ellis. He says it will be the building will be very visible and have a major impact on our skyline. He also said it is still too early to talk specifics and height of the building could still change.

Edited by g-man430

Email from earlier today:

Actually, due to site location, topography and surrounding roads and structures, a 10-12 story building would have a significant effect on the downtown landscape, but that is all hypothetical until we tie down the economics of the project.

Edited by g-man430

Email from earlier today:

Actually, due to site location, topography and surrounding roads and structures, a 10-12 story building would have a significant effect on the downtown landscape, but that is all hypothetical until we tie down the economics of the project.

I'm thinking that the former Fred Collins property is most likely at this point. It sits on a hill, away from the towers on Beattie Place/College Street, so it would be both highly visible, and make a dramatic impact on the downtown skyline by spreading it out north as well as standing quite alone. Of course this is only a wild guess on my part, without any specific details from the developer or a realtor. The actual announcing and building of this project is in serious question as well.

Edited by Skyliner