Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

I hope they realize that whatever they spend to build said "entertainment" center at the east bank will soon bring big returns being so close to LoBro, not to replicate Broadway but to complement it with food, concert and of course sporting events. I commented yesterday that the Titans owners and Metro Council need to create a transit hub out of any parking structure at Nissan Stadium. Same goes for this one. A shuttle between LoBro and this should be a success.  

• Like 3

If they put it at my preferred site between the railroad viaduct and Jefferson street bridge and face it towards the development  that is supposedly coming between the viaduct and James Robertson Parkway then it would have the same look and feel as the Braves new park-except it would be downtown and not in the suburbs.

All the developers need to get together on this and hash out a plan that totally transforms the East Bank-call it the Riverpark Sportsplex or something.

Make it the first phase of an even greater plan to deindustrialize the entire Cumberland River from Opryland to west of the MLK Bridge and transform it to a massive green space.

Downtown needs it if there is to be all these people moving in....call it Nashville's Riverpark.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, PHofKS said:

So, the Driftwood district option is out. Disappointing.

Can't stadiums and Mixed-Use developments be built in flood zones? Isn't Nissan Stadium in a flood zone? I see huge and numerous develops all along coastal cities that have to be in flood zones?? Can’t a flood wall be built along the Cumberland? 

Edited by nashvylle

^^^Three River Stadium was Pittsburgh, Cincinnati's was River Front Stadium and it was I think to the  left (west) of Paul Brown Stadium (the football Stadium).  I've past through Cincinnati a lot as a kid in the 80's and 90's heading up to Toledo to see family.

Edited by L'burgnative

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Sure they build a flood wall; but the questions will come up, who will pay for it?  

The MLB2Nashville group claims it will be privately funded, so let’s assume the flood wall is also privately funded. 

my question is mainly - can or can’t a stadium be built in a flood zone? 

26 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The MLB2Nashville group claims it will be privately funded, so let’s assume the flood wall is also privately funded. 

my question is mainly - can or can’t a stadium be built in a flood zone? 

Like you said above, Nissan Stadium has to be in a flood zone and the play surface is probably 30' to 40'  below the base of the river.  I do know when the stadium was built they have or had numerous huge pumps to pump water out of the stadium in case of flooding.  One of these pumps alone could fill an Olympic size swimming pool in a matter of minutes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, L'burgnative said:

^^^Three River Stadium was Pittsburgh, Cincinnati's was River Front Stadium and it was I think to the  left (west) of Paul Brown Stadium (the football Stadium).  I've past through Cincinnati a lot as a kid in the 80's and 90's heading up to Toledo to see family.

Correct, I was just stating the two and that both mixed use and or stsdium areas have flooded. Those were the first two that came to mind and I would bet there mat be a couple of others.

• 2 months later...

Totally agree. Been there... done that... and wasn't successful.  I don't see Las Vegas or Portland either.  Definitely Charlotte and maybe Vancouver.  I think Nashville being in the Central Time Zone works to its advantage. It has some powerful, wealthy owners too. 

11 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville HAS to get it downtown. Just renovate First Horizon Park. People don't want to go to Brentwood. 

East Bank between the railroad trestle and  Jefferson/Spring St. With what is happening with Oracle and the development in the truck stop area the only thing left on the East Bank to take care of would be PSC Metals.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

East Bank between the railroad trestle and  Jefferson/Spring St. With what is happening with Oracle and the development in the truck stop area the only thing left on the East Bank to take care of would be PSC Metals.

That’d be great but they need a billionaire to pull that off