1 hour ago, markhollin said:

I envision a new 4 story Victorian facade replacement that would be an homage to the also-burned original Maxwell House Hotel 4 blocks to the west. ... 

First and Church render, June 16, 2018.jpg

I envision a 750 ft mixed use tower here. Tony, if you are listening, build big Sig HERE!!

But seriously, this location is the rare opportunity to put a tall boy in the old core that will be a statement building for Nashville 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I envision a 750 ft mixed use tower here. Tony, if you are listening, build big Sig HERE!!

But seriously, this location is the rare opportunity to put a tall boy in the old core that will be a statement building for Nashville 

I agree 100%

16 hours ago, LA_TN said:

In the 80's a developer proposed a 24 story building on this lot, but it was not approved because it's height was not appropriate for this location. Not too many months later, the existing building burned down and the owners came back, IIRC, to ask for approval once again and were again denied. It has been a parking lot ever since.

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

In the 80's a developer proposed a 24 story building on this lot, but it was not approved because it's height was not appropriate for this location. Not too many months later, the existing building burned down and the owners came back, IIRC, to ask for approval once again and were again denied. It has been a parking lot ever since.

Something sounds fishy there. Hmmm....…. coincidence maybe not!

This is a case where I strongly agree with the height limit.  I admire the way the CBD rises like a mountain from the riverfront (what do you think those people on the bridge are taking pictures of?) and I love Markhollin's idea for a building that echoes the brick facades and arched windows around it.  (Also, those old buildings used small ledges and columns that broke up the facade in a beautiful way, and notice how well the lost building activated the street)  A very tall building would be fine in lots of other places, for example the height limit in Sobro makes no sense at all, but I don't want a wall of tall buildings at the riverfront.

MUSIC (AND MORE!) MUSEUMS

Our Music City USA brand has been established nicely over the decades with The Grand Ol’ Opry, Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium, Music Row, tours of Nashville music sights and stars’ homes, Opryland Hotel, The Musicians Hall of Fame, various internationally broadcast awards shows, The Music City Bowl, The Music City Marathon, the music industry HQ’s, hundreds of studios, an unparalleled live music scene, and, of course, all the music stars that call Nashville home.  Every music venue in town is packed with concert goers, from small clubs to theaters, to arenas to stadiums.  Part of this is due to the fact that 50+% attendance is from out of state.  Nashville is truly the most dynamic destination city in America—-perhaps the world—-when it comes to music.

With all of that in mind, it would seem that more music museums could be put in play. Certainly the success of small (but potent) personality-driven museums like those for Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Merle Haggard, and Nudie’s Honky Tonk have proven this model can work. We know that Bill Miller has been purchasing buildings like Southern Turf, The Reserve Building, and 132 2nd Ave. for more mini-museums. 

I’m not suggesting that ALL of these could happen, but I think they could be good candidates:

Willie Nelson
Dolly Parton
Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams
Elvis Presley (Bill Miller is rumored to be working on this)
Garth Brooks (could be teamed with a Friends in Low Places Bar)
Roy Acuff
Jimmie Rogers
Kenny Rogers
Loretta Lynn
Kitty Wells
Tammy Wynette
(Perhaps those last 3 ladies could be in one called “The Queens of Country”)

POP/ROCK:

Believe it or not, there are no museums for these artists in the US, and only a few have museums in Europe:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Queen
U2
Elton John
Pink Floyd
(perhaps all of those mentioned above could be in one cumulative museum known “The Royalty of Rock Pantheon” spotlighting acts from the British Isles.  Could also feature Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Deep Purple, Genesis, Def Leppard, etc).

Lionel Richie
Eagles
Billy Joel
Madonna
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Tom Petty
Michael Jackson (there is supposedly one in the works for his hometown of Gary, Indiana—but I’m not holding my breath)

How about a Southern Rock Museum featuring:

Allman Brothers (Duane and Gregg were born and raised in Nashville)
Charlie Daniels
Volunteer Jam
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Marshall Tucker Band
Little Feat
ZZ Top
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Molly Hatchet
Black Oak Arkansas
Government Mule
Widespread Panic
The Outlaws
.38 Special
Georgia Satellites
Black Crowes
Zac Brown Band

OTHER LARGER MUSIC CATEGORIES:

Gospel Music Hall of Fame
Lilith Fair Museum for Women in Music
Songwriters Hall of Fame
Alternative Rock Hall of Fame
Rockabilly Hall of Fame
Jam Band Hall of Fame
Progressive Rock Hall of Fame
Americana Music Museum
Folk Music Museum
Guitarists Hall of Fame
Drummers Hall of Fame
Making Music Museum (featuring songwriting room, practice hall, recording studios through the years, mixing consoles, microphones, mastering, pressing plant equipment, etc.)
Music Row Dozen: the best historic locales from that part of town organized into 2 hour walking tours.

OTHER TYPES OF MUSEUMS:

Civil Rights Museum on 5th Ave.
House of Style (fashion)
Wedding Museum
Photography Museum
Tesla Museum (the inventor)
Tennessee Natural History Museum
Native American Nations Museum (featuring the various tribes of the Southeast)
Toy Museum (there is one near Opryland, but perhaps move it downtown and expand further)
Journalism Museum
Transportation Museum
Communication Museum
History of the American Family Museum

Here are some buildings that could be converted into museum spaces:

Frost Building (would be perfect for Gospel Music Hall of Fame):

Frost Building.jpg

123 2nd Ave. South (Joe’s Crab Shack):

123 2nd Ave South, Joes Crab Shack.jpg

126 2nd Ave. South (Trail West Building):

126 2nd Ave South, Aug 201.jpg

Berger Building:

162 Rosa Parks Blvd, Berger Building X.JPG

169 Rosa Parks Blvd:

169 Rosa Parks Blvd x.jpg

200 2nd Ave. South:

200 2nd Ave South.png

200 Broadway (Cotton Eyed Joe):

200 Broadway.jpg

201 2nd Ave. North:

201 2nd Ave North.png

221 4th Ave. North:

221 4th Ave North.jpg

300 2nd Ave. South (Asurion Building, soon to be empty):

300 2nd Ave South.png

300 10th Ave. South:

300 10th Ave South x.JPG

631 2nd Ave. South (Rutledge Hall):

631 2nd Ave South, Rutledge Hall.jpg

800-806 Broadway:

800-806 Broadway.png

810 Broadway:

810 Broadway, Morgan & Morgan, 1904, 1 x.jpg

Union Station Baggage Building:

Baggage Building.jpg

Cummins Station (a portion):

Cummins Station.jpg

Customs House (could work really well for The Royalty of Rock Pantheon):

Customs House.jpg

New Trolley Barns Buildings:

Eakin Hensler MDHA render 7, July, 2016.png

Reserve Building:

Federal Reserve Building.jpg

627 2nd Ave. South (Geddes Fire Hall):

Geddes Fire Hall.jpg

Morris Memorial Building:

Morris Memorial Building.jpg

Southern Turf:

Southern Turf.jpg

4 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

I think we should pay homage to Justin Bieber and Nickelback with a museum to them.  I doubt there is a museum honoring those together anywhere in the universe.  

Okay I think I just threw up in my mouth a little after saying that.... :) 

Since they are both Canadian I'd be willing to bet that they are both featured here at the National Music Centre: https://nmc.ca/ which is, luckily for you and all Nashvillians, located in Calgary!  So buy your airline tickets now because once this information gets out, it'll be hard to find a seat, I'm sure!  :lol:

I’ve always  loved the Illinois Tollway Oases, and I think a couple similar structures could really benefit Nashville. I’d love to see something like this built over 40 from midtown into downtown, and possibly one over the river from downtown/Germantown into East Nashville, perhaps as part of River North. They’d act as covered, climate controlled pedestrian thoroughfares and would really benefit neighborhood connectivity, plus they’d be lined with shops and restaurants and offer up amazing views from above the highway/river. 

EA3581CC-4193-4822-993F-EBB107D78759.jpeg

D5566A5E-D6AB-4121-B64F-E4F9EEE02A58.jpeg

Being the father of a 3 year old, I've realized that Nashville needs more kid friendly attractions. While Grassmere and Cumberland Science Museum (I'm not saying the new names because they don't represent my childhood) are good places, there just needs to be more options for families. We typically have to go to places like Chattanooga  or Atlanta for kid friendly attractions.  I think Nashville can handle another children's museum. I'd love to see an aquarium here, but it wouldn't make too much sense with Gatlinburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta and soon to be Memphis being within a 4 hour drive. Of course I'd LOVE to see an amusement park *cough*teardownthatdamnmall*cough*. Maybe build something like the Fernbank Museum in Atlanta. They could build it close to or in Percy Warner Park. I think Nashville is really underutilized when it comes to families. For a city this size, it feels like the focus is on partying, which is great and brings in the money. But eventually, all those people that moved here to be in the "It City" will start to have kids. 

14 minutes ago, satalac said:

Being the father of a 3 year old, I've realized that Nashville needs more kid friendly attractions. While Grassmere and Cumberland Science Museum (I'm not saying the new names because they don't represent my childhood) are good places, there just needs to be more options for families. We typically have to go to places like Chattanooga  or Atlanta for kid friendly attractions.  I think Nashville can handle another children's museum. I'd love to see an aquarium here, but it wouldn't make too much sense with Gatlinburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta and soon to be Memphis being within a 4 hour drive. Of course I'd LOVE to see an amusement park *cough*teardownthatdamnmall*cough*. Maybe build something like the Fernbank Museum in Atlanta. They could build it close to or in Percy Warner Park. I think Nashville is really underutilized when it comes to families. For a city this size, it feels like the focus is on partying, which is great and brings in the money. But eventually, all those people that moved here to be in the "It City" will start to have kids. 

I agree, there should be more museums for kids to broaden their horizons and learn more about different things. People can also have some family time with their kids. Great idea!

Nashville needs an amusement park without question.  The city could also add more museums that could be both educational and entertaining for families.  It's difficult to these days to have something another city does not, so even if there's a museum or attraction that is similar to another elsewhere, it would still pay off for Nashville because it'll just add to the dynamic offerings of the city.  Sometimes you just have to think out of the box as well.  You can stumble upon an idea for a museum that might surprise you in terms of interest.   I don't know of any automobile museums within 2-4 hours of Nashville and since Americans love their cars, why not consider a car museum that has old cars and updated venues addressing the future of cars.  As a matter of fact why not have a technology museum that is interactive of kids and adults?  Disney does just that in Epcot Center.   Such an experience doesn't have to be limited to Disney.  Why not partner with Disney to bring the idea to Nashville.  I just really think the tourism industry in Nashville should be looking to build relationships with Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens and Six Flags or Kings Dominion.  Or, technology centers throughout the US to create something new.

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Nashville needs an amusement park without question.  The city could also add more museums that could be both educational and entertaining for families.  It's difficult to these days to have something another city does not, so even if there's a museum or attraction that is similar to another elsewhere, it would still pay off for Nashville because it'll just add to the dynamic offerings of the city.  Sometimes you just have to think out of the box as well.  

Maybe the interior portions of the former Hickory Hollow Mall could be expanded and reimagined as an amusement park type of attraction. Link attached for Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall (largest mall in North America, I believe)

http://www.wem.ca/play/attractions/galaxyland/

1F525E7D-BB9A-4128-BBCA-182E3C07C1CF.jpeg

283C1EB3-4B82-4B94-A368-505986F2290E.jpeg

12687815-BFA6-4235-ACAB-C45C72EEA20F.jpeg

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Maybe the interior portions of the former Hickory Hollow Mall could be expanded and reimagined as an amusement park type of attraction. Link attached for Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall (largest mall in North America, I believe)

http://www.wem.ca/play/attractions/galaxyland/

An amusement park in a shopping mall? We can call it 1990’sLand! ;) 

I would like to see Division Street, between the Music Row Roundabout and 12th in the Gulch be improved with wider, landscaped sidewalks, bike lanes, and auto lane reduction. You would obviously need a continuous two-way left turn lane on the Western End (out of picture).

41235358660_46c3190c23_c.jpg

28176986437_8ec26e55cc_c.jpg

This is becoming an important pedestrian thoroughfare and could be improved without busting the budget. 

I'd like to see DIvision improved for sure.  As I and others have stated here before, one of my dream projects for Nashville would be to cap I-40 from 12th to Broadway.  We could have one long sweeping park full of trails, play/event space, and a sculpture garden, lined with retail, restaurants with sidewalk patios, galleries etc. (probably nothing large scale due to weight restrictions,) not to mention the very important fact that we could reconnect the street grid at McGavock, Pine, Laurel, and Sigler Streets.  

Follow up on conversation about automotive museums a few days ago-some of you might find this special tour interesting.

Did you know that the Nissan Heritage Collection is housed in a private area at Lane Motor Museum? Join us on Friday, July 20 at 2:00 pm when Nissan offers a rare public look at this area! 

- Max of 30 per tour.
- Tour is approximately 30 minutes.
- This tour is free with museum admission.
- First come, first served. No advance sign-ups available. 
- A second tour may be added at 3:00 pm if there is demand.

Archived