Cool Stuff in Other Cities

This one’s been a looooong time coming (Cameron Kuhn was once involved), but the Laura Street Trio in downtown Jacksonville is finally headed for the city’s DDRB. Another huge step forward for historic Jax:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/laura-street-trio-finally-headed-to-ddrb/

From The Jaxson 
Edited by spenser1058

TPA’s much anticipated giant pink flamingo is delayed until this fall.

Hmmmmm.... would you rather have a gargantuan pink flamingo or a giant Asparagus? Enquiring minds want to know!

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2021/02/04/tampa-airports-giant-pink-flamingo-sculpture-delayed-until-fall/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Water Street’s Tampa Edition hotel, which will be the city’s first five-star hotel, has topped out at 26 stories and will open later this year:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2021/02/08/water-streets-tampa-edition-hotel-tops-out-at-26-floors-aims-to-open-this-year/

From The Tampa Bay Times 
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Water Street’s Tampa Edition hotel, which will be the city’s first five-star hotel, has topped out at 26 stories and will open later this year:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2021/02/08/water-streets-tampa-edition-hotel-tops-out-at-26-floors-aims-to-open-this-year/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Absolutely a great “edition” to Tampa — I was just there yesterday and while I enjoy seeing all the development going on it’s still years away from catching up with similar tier cities that embraced urbanism decades ago (not through private development rather government / civic planning).

Lets see if this spawns off into a larger city-wide movement in Tampa. Elkus-Manfredi, the master planners behind Water Street, are even skeptics.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Absolutely a great “edition” to Tampa — I was just there yesterday and while I enjoy seeing all the development going on it’s still years away from catching up with similar tier cities that embraced urbanism decades ago (not through private development rather government / civic planning).

Lets see if this spawns off into a larger city-wide movement in Tampa. Elkus-Manfredi, the master planners behind Water Street, are even skeptics.

I haven’t been there in more than a year. How does Tampa’s current urbanism compare to Orlando’s?

3 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

I haven’t been there in more than a year. How does Tampa’s current urbanism compare to Orlando’s?

It hasn’t changed - it’s pretty much status quo.

Ybor, actually, seems to be a bit regressive — unfortunately. Although I’m sure some can be said about the current state of DTO at the moment but generally Orlando continues to be a much more cohesive city center and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

As an anecdote, the front lawn at DPAC commons proves that those parcels need to be used for the purpose that the master plan was intended for — mixed-use development. 

Edited by prahaboheme

16 hours ago, idroveazamboni said:

Beautiful, but the real estate is very expensive. A lot of "regular people" are priced out of buying a home in Toronto.

16 hours ago, idroveazamboni said:

Yeah myself included , stuck in DC area myself can’t afford to move back home. 

I know what you mean. Even if I were to sell everything, it would be a drop in the bucket. Hindsight is 20/20.

"If I could turn back time..."

Edited by nite owℓ

In his final State of the City address, St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman notes the Rays have spent over half their existence trying to figure out where they want to play ball for the long haul and it’s time to make up their mind for their well-being and the city’s.

Can you imagine St. Buddy ever having the guts to tell the DeVos clan it’s time to poo or get off the pot about the MEC? Nope, I can’t either.

Even more amazing is that the Rays have had an infinitely better record than the Magic.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/st-petersburg/2021/02/19/rick-kriseman-calls-out-tampa-bay-rays-in-final-st-pete-address/

From The Tampa Bay Times

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In his final State of the City address, St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman notes the Rays have spent over half their existence trying to figure out where they want to play ball for the long haul and it’s time to make up their mind for their well-being and the city’s.

Can you imagine St. Buddy ever having the guts to tell the DeVos clan it’s time to poo or get off the pot about the MEC? Nope, I can’t either.

Even more amazing is that the Rays have had an infinitely better record than the Magic.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/st-petersburg/2021/02/19/rick-kriseman-calls-out-tampa-bay-rays-in-final-st-pete-address/

From The Tampa Bay Times

Even for you, that is a pretty lame ass attempt to make a pointless political dig for the millionth time seeing as the situations are nothing alike. But, as usual, your observation is  not rooted in reality.

Fyi- Rays .477 lifetime. Magic  .478.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

Even for you, that is a pretty lame ass attempt to make a pointless political dig for the millionth time seeing as the situations are nothing alike. But, as usual, your observation is  not rooted in reality.

Fyi- Rays .477 lifetime. Magic  .478.

Thank-you for saying basically what I wanted to say but decided not to bother with it.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Thank-you for saying basically what I wanted to say but decided not to bother with it.  

The difference is the Magic were better in the beginning and have been going downhill since while the Rays have been getting steadier every year, including this one (the Rays in the Series and the Magic .... well, not the NBA Finals). Which trajectory would you rather have? Come to think about it, that’s pretty much what’s happening with Buddy’s downtown that y’all have to keep making excuses for. The funny part is they were ready to run Glenda out of town when her Church St was sliding but y’all keep making endless excuses when Buddy’s has even fewer retailers. Is there anything y’all won’t make excuses for when it comes to the Sainted One?

Edited by spenser1058

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The difference is the Magic were better in the beginning and have been going downhill since while the Rays have been getting steadier every year, including this one (the Rays in the Series and the Magic .... well, not the NBA Finals). Which trajectory would you rather have? Come to think about it, that’s pretty much what’s happening with Buddy’s downtown that y’all have to keep making excuses for. The funny part is they were ready to run Glenda out of town when her Church St was sliding but y’all keep making endless excuses when Buddy’s has even fewer retailers. Is there anything y’all won’t make excuses for when it comes to the Sainted One?

I just don't think number of retailers in downtown is one of the top 5 metrics indicative of success.

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

IDGAF.

We live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people.

Just like everyone in every other walk of life, every politician or elected official has their faults.

People who just go around looking for things to complain about get tiresome after awhile, especially when they pick the same target over and over and over and over again ad nauseum and just keep hammering their personal agenda until you just can't stand to hear it anymore.

Seriously.... we get it. 

You don't like Buddy Dyer,

No offense intended,  but enough already.  

• Like 1

The historic downtown Tampa Theatre is reopening to audiences. Among other performances, it has found success as one of the city’s venues for indie films:

https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/arts/movies/2021/02/22/tampa-theatre-reopening-for-in-person-movies/

From The Tampa Bay Times 
Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Unrelated question, when are you moving to Jacksonville?