Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A blighted area of Daytona near the intersection of Mason Ave. and Nova Rd. Is beginning to show signs of new life:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/08/15/developer-sees-opportunity-one-daytona-beachs-forgotten-areas/10269695002/ 

From The News Journal 

Under contract at the moment is the site of the former Father Lopez High School (it moved out to LPGA. It was scheduled to become a Walmart but local concerns regarding old growth trees there led the behemoth retailer to cancel the project.

SAVE THE TREES!

so that intersection has a new WaWa in the same plaza as the Aldi.  Across the street on Mason (Masons...duh...never noticed that before; Funny, when heading I-4 EB after crossing the St. John's River Bridge, it literally says "Daytona Beach 33"), that plaza, which used to have glorious stores in there back in the day, nothing has gone in there...

the old Father Lopez site; I thought it was a Walmart Neighborhood Market that they were looking to put there originally...

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so that intersection has a new WaWa in the same plaza as the Aldi.  Across the street on Mason (Masons...duh...never noticed that before; Funny, when heading I-4 EB after crossing the St. John's River Bridge, it literally says "Daytona Beach 33"), that plaza, which used to have glorious stores in there back in the day, nothing has gone in there...

the old Father Lopez site; I thought it was a Walmart Neighborhood Market that they were looking to put there originally...

The article said it was a Walmart but not what kind - it could have been a neighborhood market.

I’m still gobsmacked the site selectors the Gooding’s siblings hired ever decided that area was a good place for an upscale grocery store. So much for “experts” in the real estate industrial complex…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The article said it was a Walmart but not what kind - it could have been a neighborhood market.

I’m still gobsmacked the site selectors the Gooding’s siblings hired ever decided that area was a good place for an upscale grocery store. So much for “experts” in the real estate industrial complex…

that area, sans the era of department stores and the smaller department stores, has always been light industrial with accompanying blight.  But once you his Clyde Morris, still industrial but without the blight (probably b/c the density drops down significantly).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

there is supposed to be a "surprise" grocer near LPGA and Willianson.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Do you remember when he had A&Ps? I can’t remember one in Daytona for some reason but there was one on US1 in Edgewater.

Can you remember the ones in Orlando? I’ll get you started and note the one at Colonial Plaza.. who’s next?

I remember A&P; I just don't remember where it was.  I recall Piggly Wiggly (sounds so dirty today), Food Lion, and another one...can't think of it right now.

• Like 1

I’m still waiting for Kroger to drop the other shoe and start opening stores along the I-75 corridor for all those Midwestern retirees.

I really think they shouldn’t fool around this time with a hidden flag (I.e., Florida Choice, SuperX, Lucky’s Market, etc.) and just call it a Kroger.

@HankStrongcould be the new Sam Behr (“tires ain’t pretty”) and come on in the ad singing the Kroger song- it would be an instant hit!

While we’re in the Midwest, I read an article that noted Meijer prices are even higher than Publix’. Wow.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The El Caribe Resort & Conference Center, a fixture along FL A1A in Daytona Beach Shores since God was a child, has been sold to a Buckhead group:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2022/08/16/el-caribe-resort-daytona-beach-florida-sold-atlanta-hospitality-company/10274503002/

From The News Journal 

The article notes its last update was in 1998, so hopefully a refurb is in order soon.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

All. You folks that hate road diets will be pleased to know FDOT is planning to widen US 17 in DeLeon Springs. It may even include a roundabout!

FDOT seeking feedback on plans to widen US 17 in DeLeon Springs

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/08/16/fdot-seeking-public-input-us-17-widening-deleon-springs/10316311002/ 

From The News Journal 

The El Caribe Resort & Conference Center, a fixture along FL A1A in Daytona Beach Shores since God was a child, has been sold to a Buckhead group:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/2022/08/16/el-caribe-resort-daytona-beach-florida-sold-atlanta-hospitality-company/10274503002/

From The News Journal 

The article notes its last update was in 1998, so hopefully a refurb is in order soon.

gotta be a good thing, right?  I'm still waiting for the Westgate people to do something with Americano...

15 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

gotta be a good thing, right?  I'm still waiting for the Westgate people to do something with Americano...

It’s sort of ironic there seems to be more activity with the mom and pops across the street than with the larger properties. Could it be what we’ve been saying for four decades was right? Who knew!?!

Williamson Blvd. will be widened from Beville Rd. to Madeline Ave.:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/08/17/federal-funding-will-help-low-income-volusia-county-residents-pay-rent/10333909002/

From The News Journal 

Also, relief is on the way for Volusia’s Le-income folks thanks to assistance from Joe and Democrats in Congress.

They like their pooches in Daytona and NSB. You can take them to spots like the rooftop bar at the Streamline (which is really cool whether Fido’s with you or not!) and even to the ballpark to see the Tortugas on special days (no word if any of the pups try to chase the baseballs):

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2022/08/18/10-best-dog-friendly-restaurants-bars-daytona-beach-new-smyrna-flagler/10330025002/

From The News Journal 

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

(DeLightful!) DeLand City Commission denies proposed 204-unit apartment complex as too dense:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/news/local/volusia/2022/08/18/deland-apartment-proposal-denied-over-density-concerns/10341118002/

From The News Journal 

15 units per acre is too dense! That is an interesting take. He will add those elevators and the commission will approve it. 

• Like 1

Bulldozer Buddy wasn’t there, but you can watch them tearing down the 1980’s-vintage Publix on Beville Rd. on the Daytona Beach mainland:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/videos/business/real-estate/2022/08/19/watch-publix-tears-down-beville-road-store-daytona-make-way-bigger-one/7844353001/

From The News Journal 

It will be replaced by a store about 10000sf larger.

Let’s head out to the Passion Pit!

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/movies/2022/08/19/drive-ins-florida-theaters-where-you-can-watch-movies-under-stars/10291046002/

From The Florida Times Union 

Two of the closest drive-ins still operating are the Ocala and the Silver Moon in Lakeland.

For me, the drive-in always makes me think of going to the old Star -Lite between Ocoee and Winter Garden in a 1957 Ford (you’d sink right down in the back seat cushions) to see Elvis Presley movies along with my sister and grandmother (we’d usually go on the nights my grandfather would go to the dog track). After the movie, we’d head back to Granny’s house to make Chef BoyArDee pizza from a box.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Coming to Volusia Square - an Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, Raising Cane’s and World of Beer:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/08/22/daytona-florida-volusia-square-lands-new-tenants-heres-whos-coming/10336045002/

From The News Journal 

The center was built in 1986 and was mostly empty except opening anchor Home Depot.

Coming to Volusia Square - an Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, Raising Cane’s and World of Beer:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/08/22/daytona-florida-volusia-square-lands-new-tenants-heres-whos-coming/10336045002/

From The News Journal 

The center was built in 1986 and was mostly empty except opening anchor Home Depot.

this was the plaza that Embry Riddle was looking to maybe absorb (ala Full Sail here).

This plaza was pretty full for years; they had a cinema at one time.  I saw Star Trek IV there.  But recently, TTC snagged a bunch of their tenants- at least three big ones, like Ross, TJ Max, and a third- don't recall.  They would put a sign on the door telling people where their new location was at.

that Speedway Indoor Karting Daytona is there for the past couple of years.  This new business will compliment it well.  I think there's a Buffalo Wild Wings in an outparcel along Thames (pronounced "temz"), LOL.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

this was the plaza that Embry Riddle was looking to maybe absorb (ala Full Sail here).

This plaza was pretty full for years; they had a cinema at one time.  I saw Star Trek IV there.  But recently, TTC snagged a bunch of their tenants- at least three big ones, like Ross, TJ Max, and a third- don't recall.  They would put a sign on the door telling people where their new location was at.

that Speedway Indoor Karting Daytona is there for the past couple of years.  This new business will compliment it well.  I think there's a Buffalo Wild Wings in an outparcel along Thames (pronounced "temz"), LOL.

Hobby Lobby

image.thumb.png.ef90fe487289d57adc1513cf616b11e4.png

Rooms to Go which was in an outparcel across the street to it also went to TTC

The Karting place was Toys R Us and HHGregg was in the former theater, as well as Pier 1 being in an outparcel in the plaza.  That plaza is pretty doomed.  Ooof.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1