Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Tbh, I have yet to see One Daytona. Normally, I stay in NSB and if I head up to Daytona just go up US1 and cross over the Port Orange bridge. It’s been years since I’ve been out to the Speedway. 

I’ll always remember Volusia Mall though because, once upon a time I dated a cute lad who worked at the Ivey’s there. We met by phone when I worked at the Orange Park store and, in those days, if a customer wanted something you didn’t have in stock, you called around to the other stores until you found it. As soon as we chatted, I swooned. Oops, never mind. TMI…

You should check it out. Cinema is always busy. Redneck Macy's is always busy (Bass Pro).  PF Changs is busy. Four Rivers is there too...should be busy. Jeremiah's is always busy...  the Marriott Signature hotel has a second floor lobby with a bar-indoor outdoor.  it's cool.

The Speedway superstructure is impressive the way they pumped that money into there. They've also got several sponsors on the facade, Sunoco, Advent, Chevy?, Toyota,  etc, a new big sign, and a second Skywalk.  

Beyond that, your usual rounds are the way to go... Sunglow pier is fun...Crabby's...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I know.  It's like a sliver of a big mall, big city retail flair.  I always viewed malls that way even the smaller ones.  Granite, fountains, etc, kind of transporting to somewhere else.

The thing about WP Mall was that, in 1964, there were few malls entirely enclosed. If you had a mall, it was usually added to an existing strip center like CP. This being WP, they also used more costly materials and the fountain was something to behold in those days.

Fun Fact: Lenox Square, which is generally regarded as the South’s premiere mall today, wasn’t even enclosed the first time we went in 1970. It had a Rich’s and Davison’s, the two big Atlanta department stores, but it also had a grocery store. What was cool about it was there were different levels to it (as there are today). Over the years, it’s been expanded a gazillion times to include everything you’d want in a mall, including a hotel.

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

You should check it out. Cinema is always busy. Redneck Macy's is always busy (Bass Pro).  PF Changs is busy. Four Rivers is there too...should be busy. Jeremiah's is always busy...  the Marriott Signature hotel has a second floor lobby with a bar-indoor outdoor.  it's cool.

The Speedway superstructure is impressive the way they pumped that money into there. They've also got several sponsors on the facade, Sunoco, Advent, Chevy?, Toyota,  etc, a new big sign, and a second Skywalk.  

Beyond that, your usual rounds are the way to go... Sunglow pier is fun...Crabby's...

I still go to the Broadwalk, even if it’s a shadow of its former self…

Do you like huge? Fysh, an 18,000sf restaurant plus outdoor seating and a rooftop bar, is about to open on the Port Orange Riverwalk.

Prices range from moderate to high-end and there will also be live entertainment.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2022/07/29/waterfront-restaurant-fysh-bar-and-grill-port-orange-riverwalk-halifax-announces-new-opening-date/10154734002/

From The News Journal 

One thing that’s hilarious to me is that people have moved to Florida to be near the beach for a century (before Walt, people were considered odd to live inland) but Daytona is going a** over teakettle to avoid the beachside. It seems to be the same in Brevard. It’s as if all the Republicans (these areas are definitely red) are convinced climate change has doomed the barrier islands but yet they’re not willing to admit it - who knew?!?

Edited by spenser1058

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Jon Wood, who’s with the firm demolishing the former Macy’s at Volusia Mall to build upscale apartments, notes in an update to the News Journal story yesterday they tried to buy the former Sears as well. However. a Texas developer now owns that.

As to what might happen with it, the N-J reports this:

”…Officials at Elm Creek did not respond to a request for comment. However, the Dallas Morning News in March reported the developer's plans to convert a vacant Sears store at an aging mall in that city into a two-story open-air entertainment/retail complex.

Stay tuned.

I read it the same way you did originally but after rereading it, the open air complex is in Dallas. Not Daytona. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Do you like huge? Fysh, an 18,000sf restaurant plus outdoor seating and a rooftop bar, is about to open on the Port Orange Riverwalk.

Prices range from moderate to high-end and there will also be live entertainment.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2022/07/29/waterfront-restaurant-fysh-bar-and-grill-port-orange-riverwalk-halifax-announces-new-opening-date/10154734002/

From The News Journal 

One thing that’s hilarious to me is that people have moved to Florida to be near the beach for a century (before Walt, people were considered odd to live inland) but Daytona is going a** over teakettle to avoid the beachside. It seems to be the same in Brevard. It’s as if all the Republicans (these areas are definitely red) are convinced climate change has doomed the barrier islands but yet they’re not willing to admit it - who knew?!?

Can't read it but I know the project. The owner really wanted to be on the water and it works great for a nice restaurant. The beach is great but you get better water views on the inter coastal. 

When are they opening?

Port Orange is really coming along. 

It’s finally happening- the restoration of Daytona’s small beachside motels and bungalows:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/07/31/daytona-beach-motel-sales-spark-revitalization-hopes/10074410002/

From The News-Journal

Is it a coincidence that it didn’t happen until the good ol’ boys who stayed in office much too long finally left? 

Restaurant News: Rooftop bar, eatery with Atlantic Ocean views opens in New Smyrna Beach

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2022/08/06/avanu-flagler-rooftop-bar-restaurant-with-atlantic-ocean-views-opens-new-smyrna-beach-flagler-avenue/10234338002/ 

From The News Journal 

Flagler Avenue keeps getting more and more interesting. So far, they’ve managed to keep a good mix of older beach town funky with newer upscale options. Here’s hoping they don’t mess this up.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Costco coming to One Daytona, probably in 2024. @jrs2, will you have your pickup ready to stock up?

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/08/08/volusia-costco-forecast-huge-magnet-one-daytona/10227008002/ 

From The News Journal 

wow.  I had heard they were looking at adding a supermarket...now they are adding a superstore...

Probably putting it in that bus parking on the west side of the property.  That will be good competition to TTC (Tomoka Town Center) which lured Sam's Club away from Beville Rd/ SR 400.  And it also shows that they are still chugging along and moving forward by adding new retailers.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

wow.  I had heard they were looking at adding a supermarket...now they are adding a superstore...

Probably putting it in that bus parking on the west side of the property.  That will be good competition to TTC (Tomoka Town Center) which lured Sam's Club away from Beville Rd/ SR 400.  And it also shows that they are still chugging along and moving forward by adding new retailers.   

It’s only fair. Sam’s for all the Republicans and Costco is just about the bluest retailer in the country. Now we just need something for the libertarians…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

The vendor that has operated the “make your own pancakes” restaurant since 1961 at DeLeon Springs State Park, has lost its bid with the state to continue.

It’s been much beloved (it’s hard to imagine natives of the area who’ve never been) and there’s some confusion as to whether the new vendor will carry on pretty much as is.

Stay tuned..

https://beacononlinenews.com/2022/08/08/longtime-old-spanish-sugar-mill-operators-outbid/

From The West Volusia Beacon

Over 100,000 visitors and sold out hotels are expected as the 322’ Artemis 1 prepares an unmanned moon launch  from the Space Coast as early as Aug 29:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/space/os-bz-nasa-moon-launch-brevard-20220813-jcgz6r7j5bbizg4w54howxbovm-story.html

From The Sentinel

It’s the biggest rocket to be launched from the area in years. Between cruises, launches often several days a week, expansion of rocket manufacturing and expanded staffing at KSC/Canaveral, Brevard is back in business.

Best of all, the business has diversified a lot so that, with luck, the region won’t see the devastating layoffs endemic as specific programs came to an end over the decades.

Hopefully, badly needed community redevelopment, especially in Central Brevard, will be up next. It’s like a spooky episode of ST:TOS where the natives forgot to maintain anything after the early ‘70’s…

It’s sort of fascinating that while David Siegel, who in redoing the Cocoa Beach Pier and declaring his undying ardor for the place, seems content to let the rest of the city fall apart around it even as he chose to spend a fortune on his perpetually unfinished manse, Versailles.

Well, as Fitzgerald wrote, the rich are different from you and me.

Edited by spenser1058

Woohoo! I found a source for smoked mullet (and what sounds like some vey tasty crockpot collards!) at Ike’s Granada Pier Bait and Tackle:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/fishing/2022/08/12/fishing-report-shrimp-bobber-collard-greens-granada-pier-bait-indian-river-lagoon-redfish/10283354002/

(I really like the idea of chowing down on a mess of collards in a froufrou place like Ormond, just a hoot and a holler from Mr. Rockefeller’s place, no less!)

While we’re in Ormond, some big news (hopefully not sad). Historic Billy’sTap Room, which is pushing 100 years old, is being sold. It will be closed for a while as the new owners plan an extensive redo - let’s hope they don’t mess this up. 

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/2022/08/11/billys-tap-room-grill-in-ormond-beach-to-be-sold-and-then-temporarily-close/10295621002/

From The News Journal 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, spenser1058 said:

It’s only fair. Sam’s for all the Republicans and Costco is just about the bluest retailer in the country. Now we just need something for the libertarians…

For the libertarians there would just be a forest with a sign out front that says "go hunt your own food you government loving commie!"

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 1

A blighted area of Daytona near the intersection of Mason Ave. and Nova Rd. Is beginning to show signs of new life:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/real-estate/2022/08/15/developer-sees-opportunity-one-daytona-beachs-forgotten-areas/10269695002/ 

From The News Journal 

Under contract at the moment is the site of the former Father Lopez High School (it moved out to LPGA. It was scheduled to become a Walmart but local concerns regarding old growth trees there led the behemoth retailer to cancel the project.

SAVE THE TREES!

$500,000+ worth of improvements coming to Daytona Lagoon ( the beachside water park next to Ocean Center) during the facility’s winter closure. The goal is to make it more attractive to locals:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/business/2022/08/15/daytona-lagoon-new-owners-making-improvements-win-over-locals/10278112002/

From The News Journal 

The new owners include a former Sea World COO.

• Like 1