Economic Development

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The worst part is that even when you ignore a user, you see people you like quoting them.

I love a good sidebar conversation for a few posts, it will often liven up a thread and stir up conversation back on the original topic, but this thread has been crapped on like a freshly washed car at a pigeon convention.

Back to the regularly-scheduled program...

The answer is 26.

It will be 26 stories tall.

26 floors.

And here is a random construction crane pic, for your viewing pleasure.

While you were sleeping, the Arizona Republic posted an article detailing THOUSANDS of current tech job-openings in Phoenix:

Accenture:  210 current openings

American Express:  310 

Deliotte:  440

DISH Network:  410

General Dynamics:  140

Honeywell:  260

Intel:  150

Lockheed Martin:  200

Orbital ATK:  180

Oracle:  820

Raytheon:  430

Those are current job OPENINGS, not proposed jobs.  I admit that Phoenix is larger than Orlando, but that is really impressive - especially for a city without a strong tech reputation. (Actually,  it's tech reputation is pretty bad).  Phoenix is another rapidly-growing SunBelt city with horrible urban sprawl. But it apparently directed its resources to bringing in high-wage jobs.  Maybe we can learn something from Phoenix. 

Enjoy the crane pic. 

IMG_0499.JPG

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

The worst part is that even when you ignore a user, you see people you like quoting them.

I love a good sidebar conversation for a few posts, it will often liven up a thread and stir up conversation back on the original topic, but this thread has been crapped on like a freshly washed car at a pigeon convention.

And worse yet, IAR is mostly arguing with himself. He says that we keep on disagreeing with him on the low wage, tourist economy, need for higher paying jobs etc, etc, when in fact, nobody fundamentally disagrees with any of that at all. 

The only problem with his position is that he overstates it. He makes it an all or nothing argument. If somebody agrees with his basic premise but then offers a mitigating circumstance or points out some evidence that a situation might not be as bad as he makes it out to be, he takes it as a rebuttal or denial. 

I think it's becoming apparent that his true mission here appears to be trolling the forum by crapping on our town and "raining on our parade" as it were.

Might be time to just stop feeding the troll via ignoring and not responding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

And worse yet, IAR is mostly arguing with himself. He says that we keep on disagreeing with him on the low wage, tourist economy, need for higher paying jobs etc, etc, when in fact, nobody fundamentally disagrees with any of that at all. 

The only problem with his position is that he overstates it. He makes it an all or nothing argument. If somebody agrees with his basic premise but then offers a mitigating circumstance or points out some evidence that a situation might not be as bad as he makes it out to be, he takes it as a rebuttal or denial. 

I think it's becoming apparent that his true mission here appears to be trolling the forum by crapping on our town and "raining on our parade" as it were.

Might be time to just stop feeding the troll via ignoring and not responding.

EdgeCore passed Orlando over yesterday and decided to put a massive new data-center in Dallas.  Dallas has more data-centers than anywhere but the Richmond area. Richmond. 

By the way, that Arizona Republic article also identified tens of thousands of non-tech job openings in Phoenix.  I didn't even both mentioning those.

I am such a troll...I am pushing for the high-wage tech jobs going to Phoenix, Dallas and Richmond to come to Orlando. Where do I get off????

48 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

That time was a couple of weeks and a few pages of inanity ago. . . ya'll seem to have missed it. 

It's amazing how clean the thread is now.  You just see some light grey lines that read:

You've chosen to ignore content by I am Reality. Options 

Unless someone else quotes them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Y'all - is there an admin here who can move this line of conversation into the coffee house? @bic

Yes.  It should be moved, because I am Reality does make some good points, but in the wrong thread.  Except for one thing... Phoenix has 1.6M city limits and close to 5M metro population.  Yet another disproportionate example with Orlando.  His MSA explanation we all know, but I didn't see any addressing of my points about city population correlating with downtown development which, correlates with a city's "pull" to bring in companies.

So CSP will in fact be 26 floors?

21 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Yes.  It should be moved, because I am Reality does make some good points, but in the wrong thread.  Except for one thing... Phoenix has 1.6M city limits and close to 5M metro population.  Yet another disproportionate example with Orlando.  His MSA explanation we all know, but I didn't see any addressing of my points about city population correlating with downtown development which, correlates with a city's "pull" to bring in companies.

So CSP will in fact be 26 floors?

Thank you JRS for acknowledging that I am making some good points. That honestly means a lot to me.  I sometimes feel like I am all alone. 

I have no problem if the adminstators move this discussion to the Coffee House. 

Can I make a suggestion? Can we start a separate "Economic Development" section in the Coffee House?  I avidly follow corporate & tech trends and read every major newspaper in the country (and some overseas) online.  I would be happy providing regular content.  I will obviously follow Orlando economic-development news.  At the same time, I think it's super important to also know what is going on in other cities.  Also, people like Hank who want me gone don't have to bother with me. 

P.S. I did some research and found that EA Sports has a significant development office here locally. There are currently 55 job openings there. That is great!! I like success stories here in Orlando (like the new Lockheed jobs).

35 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Can I make a suggestion? Can we start a separate "Economic Development" section in the Coffee House?  I avidly follow corporate & tech trends and read every major newspaper in the country (and some overseas) online.  I would be happy providing regular content.  I will obviously follow Orlando economic-development news.  At the same time, I think it's super important to also know what is going on in other cities.  

AFAIK, there is nothing stopping you from starting a new "Economic Development" (or maybe "Orlando Jobs and Economic Development") thread yourself in the Coffee House or even in the main forum.

Anyone can start a new thread.

I'm sure it would stimulate a lot of discussion.

Seems like I've seen an "Orlando Jobs" thread before. Maybe not.

46 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Thank you JRS for acknowledging that I am making some good points. That honestly means a lot to me.  I sometimes feel like I am all alone. 

Can I make a suggestion? Can we start a separate "Economic Development" section in the Coffee House?  I avidly follow corporate & tech trends and read every major newspaper in the country (and some overseas) online.  I would be happy providing regular content.  I will obviously follow Orlando economic-development news.  At the same time, I think it's super important to also know what is going on in other cities.  Also, people like Hank who want me gone don't have to bother with me. 

P.S. I did some research and found that EA Sports has a significant development office here locally. There are currently 55 job openings there. That is great!! I like success stories here in Orlando (like the new Lockheed jobs).

I thought there was an "Orlando Business News" thread here; maybe it's on another forum.  I used to post convention center news and company openings on that thread. 

That's great about EA.  EA Tiburon in Maitland near Charles Schwab.

I think others here have acknowledged what you're saying as well, not just me.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Most of us on this board are well aware that EA Sports has a presence in Orlando. It's been discussed at length on this forum for many, many years.  Glad you are catching speed. There was, at one point, talk of them moving to downtown Orlando but that never materialized.  Considering their west coast office is in Venice (specifically playa vista aka "Silicon Beach") rather than DTLA, one cannot suggest this has to do with the (lack of) strength of DTO but rather the culture of a company and how certain industries have a tendency to cluster.

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Most of us on this board are well aware that EA Sports has a presence in Orlando. It's been discussed at length on this forum for many, many years.  Glad you are catching speed. There was, at one point, talk of them moving to downtown Orlando but that never materialized.  Considering their west coast office is in Venice (specifically playa vista aka "Silicon Beach") rather than DTLA, one cannot suggest this has to do with the (lack of) strength of DTO but rather the culture of a company and how certain industries have a tendency to cluster.

Things may change when UCF finally sets up downtown.  A company like EA could benefit from a more creative energy. It's all about the environment.  Maitland seems so ordinary for what EA does. But, you know what?  It's still local.  And I am okay with that.  

42 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Things may change when UCF finally sets up downtown.  A company like EA could benefit from a more creative energy. It's all about the environment.  Maitland seems so ordinary for what EA does. But, you know what?  It's still local.  And I am okay with that.  

Pretty sure you just argued yourself out of your own argument. And I am okay with that.

4 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Pretty sure you just argued yourself out of your own argument. And I am okay with that.

Not really. I'm not too hung up where exactly the jobs go.  I just want lots of good-paying jobs here locally.  That's my only fight.  I only said that other cities have suburban  office parks and that it's not unique to Orlando.  In  perfect world, I'd prefer the jobs downtown.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that EA is here locally.  It is "our's" (kinda sort of).  That's something to be proud of.

27 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Not really. I'm not too hung up where exactly the jobs go.  I just want lots of good-paying jobs here locally.  That's my only fight.  I only said that other cities have suburban  office parks and that it's not unique to Orlando.  In  perfect world, I'd prefer the jobs downtown.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that EA is here locally.  It is "our's" (kinda sort of).  That's something to be proud of.

I think we (on this board) from what I can tell want the same thing in a perfect world.  We all have a different vision much like our city and county leaders do when they try and get things done. And That creates conflict, big or small. Point is if those visions don't align to a certain extend, things get blurry and it becomes difficult to come to a reasonable conclusion.  As someone earlier said, I think we are all on the same page, just reading from different lines with vast interpretations.

Having said that, our downtown is going to become as close to perfect as possible with the lost of the 'Did Not Happen' projects of the last boom. Thats a win for all of us because at least or local development board has the same vision as our leaders for a change.  I think we fight with you in a way I Am Reality

On the side note, Hard Rock HQ is moving to South Florida. IAMFloridaBorn, I think the biggest argument here is, the leaders are small fish in big pond, their visions are average at best, in some case, none ....*cough" ...Thomas C...

Sometimes, I think leaders in OC and Winter Park has better execution and vision than Orlando. The design of this tower looked like an undergrad student aiming for a C+ in a class.

Hard Rock moving had everything to do with consolidating with the Seminole Tribes of Florida that now own them and virtually nothing to do with any perceived shortcomings of Orlando.

Those who wish to jump to such conclusions should ponder that founder Robert Earl chose to locate the HQ here in the first place over such, ummm, backwater burgs as LA or London.

If we must be snarky, can we at least get our facts straight?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Hard Rock moving had everything to do with consolidating with the Seminole Tribes of Florida that now own them and virtually nothing to do with any perceived shortcomings of Orlando.

Those who wish to jump to such conclusions should ponder that founder Robert Earl chose to locate the HQ here in the first place over such, ummm, backwater burgs as LA or London.

If we must be snarky, can we at least get our facts straight?

Agreed. I can't criticize Orlando for losing Hard Rock. I just wish that Orlando would have fought like crazy to keep it - if for no other reason - to show that we put a heavy premium on HQs.  Even if it's only corporate 200 jobs now, that could translate into many more later with explanation/consolidation. And other companies pay attention to what cities are doing for businesses.  They want to be wanted. 

Maybe Orlando officials did alot behind-the-scenes.

In a somewhat related matter, Salesforce opened a huge regional hub and built a 47-story building last year.  In Indianapolis. Orlando is 10X better than Indianapolis. We could have surely made a more convincing pitch, no?

IMG_0500.JPG

48 minutes ago, sunshine said:

On the side note, Hard Rock HQ is moving to South Florida. IAMFloridaBorn, I think the biggest argument here is, the leaders are small fish in big pond, their visions are average at best, in some case, none ....*cough" ...Thomas C...

Sometimes, I think leaders in OC and Winter Park has better execution and vision than Orlando. The design of this tower looked like an undergrad student aiming for a C+ in a class.

No argument about our 'leaders' lol. It is getting better though.

You really think the building is not attractive?

58 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Agreed. I can't criticize Orlando for losing Hard Rock. I just wish that Orlando would have fought like crazy to keep it - if for no other reason - to show that we put a heavy premium on HQs.  Even if it's only corporate 200 jobs now, that could translate into many more later with explanation/consolidation. And other companies pay attention to what cities are doing for businesses.  They want to be wanted. 

Maybe Orlando officials did alot behind-the-scenes.

In a somewhat related matter, Salesforce opened a huge regional hub and built a 47-story building last year.  In Indianapolis. Orlando is 10X better than Indianapolis. We could have surely made a more convincing pitch, no?

IMG_0500.JPG

Got a bit o' news for ye there IAR.... the building in your pic has been there since the late 80's. It's roughly the same age as our own SunTrust Center.

Chase Tower, built in 1989, was known as the Bank One Building until 2005. JPMorgan Chase acquired Chicago-based Bank One in 2004.

All Salesforce is doing, is renaming it.

Salesforce to rename Chase Tower, hire 800 <-- link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Got a bit o' news for ye there IAR.... the building in your pic has been there since the late 80's. It's roughly the same age as our own SunTrust Center.

Chase Tower, built in 1989, was known as the Bank One Building until 2005. JPMorgan Chase acquired Chicago-based Bank One in 2004.

All Salesforce is doing, is renaming it.

Salesforce to rename Chase Tower, hire 800 <-- link

Fair enough. My mistake. (see..I can admit my mistakes).  It's still alot of good jobs though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Fair enough. My mistake. (see..I can admit my mistakes).  It's still alot of good jobs though.

Do you not think there are any good jobs in Orlando? All my friends have good jobs. The fact you didn't know EA was located here speaks volumes about your knowledge of the city. It's been here for a LONG time (1994) and produces some of EA's biggest games (Madden anyone?)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Do you not think there are any good jobs in Orlando? All my friends have good jobs. The fact you didn't know EA was located here speaks volumes about your knowledge of the city. It's been here for a LONG time (1994) and produces some of EA's biggest games (Madden anyone?)

I stand by everything I have said for the past few weeks. Guess I have to rehash the whole argument. Again. I have said EA is a great thing here locally and that we should be proud.  I wish we had many more like it.  As for my knowledge of the city, I was gone for many years and don't presume to know every company in town. I have said in the past  that Orlando has some good paying jobs. Remember the Huntsville/Omaha/OKC comment?.  I have also said that Orlando has a disproportionate number of low-wage tourism jobs.  I also said Orlando should have more high-wage jobs, given its size.

Need we really go around in circles?

Someone wrote me that no one thinks the Orlando economy is not dominated by low-wage tourism jobs.

Exhibit A

56 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

I stand by everything I have said for the past few weeks. Guess I have to rehash the whole argument. Again. I have said EA is a great thing here locally and that we should be proud.  I wish we had many more like it.  As for my knowledge of the city, I was gone for many years and don't presume to know every company in town. I have said in the past  that Orlando has some good paying jobs. Remember the Huntsville/Omaha/OKC comment?.  I have also said that Orlando has a disproportionate number of low-wage tourism jobs.  I also said Orlando should have more high-wage jobs, given its size.

Need we really go around in circles?

Someone wrote me that no one thinks the Orlando economy is not dominated by low-wage tourism jobs.

Exhibit A

Can you do us a favor and move your commentary to the coffeehouse, where we can choose to be involved or not in these discussions? 

Go ahead and setup a thread for your interest in this topic. You can go in circles over there all day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

The thing about cities like Indianapolis, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, etc, as was pointed out earlier by someone else, I believe, is that they are the only major cities in the entire states in which they are located.  Of course, any major corporation that wants to locate in any of those states, for whatever geographical reason they might have, is going to locate in that state's largest city. 

Orlando, as was also pointed out, has had to compete with three other major Florida metro areas, all of them bigger than Orlando to begin with, and all with their own commercial seaports. 

Orlando has had a lot of extremely stiff competition many other cities have not had to deal with. 

• Thanks 1