CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

On January 3, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Piedmont767 said:

Is there any news regarding the Silver Line? I thought CATS were going to release their plan for the study area at the end of 2015? 

16 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The website says "end of June 2016"

Final recommendation should be made in June, but Draft Alternatives are supposed to be released this month.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/about/CATSBoard/mtc/MTC%20Agenda%20Packages/MTC-Agenda-Package-151118.pdf

• Like 1

because the anti-transit folks aparently failed to get the memo on the first transit sales tax repeal refferendum in 2007 (it was defeated 70-30) it appears that some on the right want to threaten repeal again: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article53924225.html  [Jim Puckett has decided to use a transit tax repeal as a threat to stop the toll lanes -- not sure I follow his logic] 

I guess there is a certain symmetry to attempts to defund transit just before each major new segment opens.

Edited by kermit

4 hours ago, kermit said:

because the first attempt at repealing the transit sales tax went so well in 2007 (it was defeated 70-30)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article53924225.html  [Looks like Jim Puckett has decided to try to use the transit tax as a threat to stop the toll lanes -- not sure I follow his logic] 

I guess there is a certain symmetry to attempts to defund transit just before each major new segment opens.

And this man is doing this because the mass transit line to his end of the region is having its own set of unique problems that have hampered its progress.

"I can't get my own toy? FUDGE IT! Blow up the store! NOBODY gets a toy!!!".

He is THE WORST kind of narcissist. Does anyone know Jim Puckett personally? Can you tell him he is the worst kind of person? Do us all a favor and tell him he is the worst person.

EDIT: I apologize. I understand different viewpoints and different feelings, but I have never stopped seeing petty things from this man since he came on the scene.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

11 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

And this man is doing this because the mass transit line to his end of the region is having its own set of unique problems that have hampered its progress.

"I can't get my own toy? FUDGE IT! Blow up the store! NOBODY gets a toy!!!".

He is THE WORST kind of narcissist. Does anyone know Jim Puckett personally? Can you tell him he is the worst kind of person? Do us all a favor and tell him he is the worst person.

EDIT: I apologize. I understand different viewpoints and different feelings, but I have never stopped seeing petty things from this man since he came on the scene.

No, Puckett is anti transit through and through.  Supposedly he led the charge to get the transit tax repealed last time, and on his own website states that commuter rail is a non-solution to the North Corridor.  So he is not trying to end the transit tax because he can't get his train; he wants to get rid of the transit tax anyway and this is him being an opportunist.  

But he is seriously someone who doesn't need to hold public office.  I hope his anti transit crap backfires on him and he finds himself out of office again in short order.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

But he is seriously someone who doesn't need to hold public office.  I hope his anti transit crap backfires on him and he finds himself out of office again in short order.

Sadly, he is framing it in an anti-transit and anti-toll road stance, which will prove to be quite popular to people who don't seek out facts of why he is anti-transit.

On 1/10/2016 at 9:24 AM, dcharlotte said:

Sadly, he is framing it in an anti-transit and anti-toll road stance, which will prove to be quite popular to people who don't seek out facts of why he is anti-transit.

He was doing it as a not-so-veiled threat to Charlotte. He was seeking to get the city to vote against the toll lanes. "If you don't vote against the toll lanes, I'm gonna gin up another repeal-the-transit-tax vote on November's ballot."

So the city caved to some very corrupt interests and waved the Cintra debacle through, 7-4.

Watch Puckett's next move. Should be interesting.

• Like 1

^ we have been saying that here for years. We missed a huge opportunity for federal cash when we lacked any kind of vision when Foxx moved up to DC -- Ray Lahood funneled billions of DOT cash to his home (Chicago) while in office, but they had plans.

When is the new long-term transit plan comming???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ we have been saying that here for years. We missed a huge opportunity for federal cash when we lacked any kind of vision when Foxx moved up to DC -- Ray Lahood funneled billions of DOT cash to his home (Chicago) while in office, but they had plans.

When is the new long-term transit plan comming???

What new transit plan?

On 1/9/2016 at 5:55 PM, kermit said:

because the anti-transit folks aparently failed to get the memo on the first transit sales tax repeal refferendum in 2007 (it was defeated 70-30) it appears that some on the right want to threaten repeal again: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article53924225.html  [Jim Puckett has decided to use a transit tax repeal as a threat to stop the toll lanes -- not sure I follow his logic] 

Let me see if I can explain this the way I understand it...

I had not heard about Puckett's plans until today in the Observer. After reading the comments after the story there are quite a few people who feel that Charlotte turned it's back on the northern suburbs. I think some residents of north meck feel that they were instrumental in getting the original 1/2 cent sales tax passed and they also supported the tax during the 2007 effort to repeal the tax. During those times, those people thought they would be getting the Red Line to Charlotte, so they supported the tax because they would also enjoy the benefits of the new transit line. They people in the northern suburbs who are now getting on board with Puckett's idea are feeling that they've been paying into a system for over a decade-and-a-half but have nothing to show for it. And now, there seems to be this attitude that "if they want to live in the burbs, let them pay tolls in order to get to Charlotte. I do not commute into Charlotte each day, but I do see how some citizens in north Meck might feel they've been giving and giving and not getting much of anything in return as far as transit goes.

I'm not saying there are not examples of things the transit tax has done in north Meck, but those aren't the things people are (these people) asking for. Therefore, they see no benefit to the transit tax. Now, do I think they are mad the vote didn't go their way and now they want to punish Charlotte? Of course I do. Does that mean they don't have a point about the transit tax not benefiting them so why should they continue to support it? I don't believe so.

I'm pretty pro-transit, but I don't want to pay more money in taxes so Atlanta can build out their system. Just because Charlotte is closer, doesn't the same logic apply?

^yep.  I am also pro-transit, but I can also see the north meck POV.  Do they want to punish Charlotte?  It's hard to make the case that any city besides Charlotte has benefited from the 1/2 cent sales tax until now***.  That does not matter, really.  No fixed rail lines outside of Charlotte to date, and none in construction, and none likely to happen soon.  Wind up a couple of other municipalities (Matthews, Mint Hill) that might be irked by the streetcar leapfrogging all of the other lines, and the whole 1/2 cent tax becomes a political fight that might not be so neatly decided in 2016 as it was is 2007.         

***Pineville, of course, did not want the Blue Line because of the people that might draw to the downtown.  But for your Harbor Freight, Pineville, you would be on my boycott list.  

It's not that N Meck or any other suburban town doesn't benefit from the transit tax nor is it the city of Charlotte's fault the Red Line doesn't qualify for fed. funding.  Some seem to forget the the Red Line  was a top priority & multiple ways to get the project off the ground explored until N/S made the project financially unviable. The streetcar has not & likely will not receive funding via the transit tax  period 

For those inclined to agree with Jim Puckett, or to see his point of view, here are some things you should know-

1.  Puckett's argument that North Meck towns should vote to repeal the transit tax because they are paying the tax but not reaping the benefits in their area may sound logical on a surface level, but in reality is rather shaky.  The reason for this is that the transit tax is a sales tax.  As such, it is not just Mecklenburg residents paying the tax, but anyone who buys goods and services in the county.  The notion that one should pay taxes only if there are direct benefits to be realized-the entire logical premise of his argument-is quite tenuous and unworkable for obvious reasons. 

2.  Puckett is being disingenuous.  Puckett didn't want commuter rail in the first place-he says as much on his website.  In fact, if it were up to him, the Red Line would never even been conceived because there would have never been a transit plan.  And now he has the audacity to use it as leverage, and dupe people into going along with his repeal shenanigans??? 

3.  Repealing the transit tax doesn't hurt the city council, or NCDOT; it hurts the tens of thousands of people who depend on it for transportation everyday-many of whom probably dislike the toll lanes every bit as much as Puckett does.  If the repeal goes through, it will punish those who had absolutely nothing to do with the signing of the Cintra contract.  Furthermore, in the toll lane meeting on Monday, all we heard was how the toll lanes would hurt the poor citizens of North Meck, yet Puckett is willing to hurt the poor people of Charlotte who depend on the transit system everyday.  I'll bet there are a lot more legitimately poor people in Charlotte who would be affected by a reduction in bus service due to repeal of the transit tax than poor people in North Meck who will be affected by the toll lanes.  But I suppose that little fact is not convenient for Puckett.

4.  Repealing the transit tax will likely lead to the loss of hundreds of jobs.

5.  Charlotte has nothing to do with the fact that the Red Line isn't built.  In fact, Charlotte supported the MTC financial plan, and was going to help build the Red Line had it not been for the Iredell County Commission and Norfolk Southern.  Since Charlotte can not control those entities, how is Charlotte to be held responsible for the lack of progress?  If Puckett wants to assign blame, he should assign it to Iredell County Commission and Norfolk Southern, yet he wrongfully is trying to pin it on Charlotte in an effort to get the tax repealed.

Bottom line, don't let yourselves be led on by this a--hole.  He is a snake in the grass waiting to pounce on people who will allow themselves to be deceived by his tactics.  He is the worst type of person, and the best response to him is not a nod of agreement, but a vote to replace him in the next election cycle. 

On a side note, if I were Jennifer Roberts, I would threaten Puckett (and all the North Meck towns that are willing to go along with his little transit tax repeal game) with an effort to advance full political city-county consolidation to referendum as well.  Two can play scorched earth politics.

I can't rant about this anymore, the mere thought of this transit tax repeal crap has brought my blood to a rolling boil.  It is just another example of right-wing nut jobs and bona fide know-nothings attempting to establish a tyranny of the minority.  Its the same kind of crap we get from the NCGA.  I have been a Republican ever since I registered to vote, but these last 4-5 years of watching Charlotte get trounced by a members of a party hell-bent on punishing our great city has put quite a sour taste in my mouth.  I think it is officially time I switch party affiliations...I am so sick of having to watch Charlotte fight tooth and nail for the things it already has (transit, airport, sales taxes, etc). 

• Like 3

North Meck doesn't benefit from the transit tax? Do they not have both local and express bus service up there? I'm calling BS on that one. Just because it's not rail doesn't mean it's not transit. They're just grasping at straws because they will most likely have the choice of paying optional tolls in the future.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hector Mundo said:

A while ago I'd made a map of the 2030 plan. This time I decided to make one for the near future and this is what I came up with. I threw in the Sprinter but removed some of the uptown stops since it'll be running parallel to the Gold Line Phase II. Let me know what you guys think or any improvements I could make.

2019 CATS map.png

How did you do that? I'd love to do that myself!