Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

This is pretty cool. Another good example of public/private partnership...

The YMCA of Middle Tennessee has reached a preliminary agreement to hand ownership of the Northwest Family YMCA in Nashville's Bordeaux community to Metro government, which would operate the facility as a Metro recreational center and a new hub for services.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/07/24/ymca-wants-metro-take-over-northwest-facility-bordeaux/501931001/

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

This is pretty cool. Another good example of public/private partnership...

The YMCA of Middle Tennessee has reached a preliminary agreement to hand ownership of the Northwest Family YMCA in Nashville's Bordeaux community to Metro government, which would operate the facility as a Metro recreational center and a new hub for services.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/07/24/ymca-wants-metro-take-over-northwest-facility-bordeaux/501931001/

This Y to me always seemed more like a meeting venue than a place to engage in physical activities.  From my years of growing up in that general area, I don't recall there ever being a major membership campaign.  I know several organizations used to meet there on a regular basis and that to me is what the management promoted.  It was also a place for young adult parties, birthday parties, wedding receptions, anniversary parties, retirement parties, etc., etc., etc,  But, it never ever really took off as a place to workout and exercise or participate in other programs.  Quite honestly, when it was built I'm not even sure if it had full locker room facilities.  It certainly did not have a pool.  It seemed more like a community center than a full blown Y.  It never matched what I would see at other Y's around town.  Maybe in recent years with the expansions and renovations they made more of an effort to promote the facility.  But, in my opinion from its inception it didn't promote the atmosphere that you typically found at other Y's across the county.  Hopefully as a community center it'll serve the community better and in conjunction with the Y offer services and programs that appeal to the demographics in the area.

15 hours ago, memphian said:

University offerings will help downtown achieve that coveted 24-hour city designation. It would be awesome to see traditional students living in the area someday. Private universities are probably the best bet for such hope. I don't foresee TSU making waves with their downtown campus since they've got their own ambitious growth plans for the main campus. 

The downtown campus of TSU houses the College of Business and their new Executive MBA program will more than likely operate out of that building as well.  There Public Administration program is also housed there.  And, they still offer an extensive evening curriculum year round at that campus.  It's also promoted as small conference and meeting venue and they do host quite a few meetings there.  But you are right there is more focus on the main campus right now as TSU continues to establish its plans to be part of the economic growth and development of that area of north Nashville.  I know they are buying additional properties in the area of the main campus and there are plans in the works for two new residence halls, a renovated/expanded Hale Stadium and new/expanded academic facilities.  I also understand they are planning to change the entry into the main campus as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Florida-owned parking garage company intensifies search for some properties for new garages in CBD/SoBro/Germantown/Gulch:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20970318/florida-parking-garage-entity-intensifies-nashville-focus

So...they just come in, buy land and build a parking structure?  Would rather have a tall structure on top of it than to just build a parking deck.

Edited by titanhog

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Florida-owned parking garage company intensifies search for some properties for new garages in CBD/SoBro/Germantown/Gulch:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20970318/florida-parking-garage-entity-intensifies-nashville-focus

I'm sure they have their reasons, but it seems like for just a little more investment they could put retail components on the ground level and stand to make more money in the long-term.

• Like 3

As we were driving by Deja Vu a couple weeks ago, my wife just asked me how long it was going to be there. I told her that I didn't think it would be there much longer, but I wasn't expecting an announcement that quickly. They wouldn't start this until the Mazda site is almost completely done, would they?

20 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Weren't there renderings of this project posted on this thread, or another? Can someone repost the previous renderings?? 

Tennessean.com has some renderings of what ground-level will look like, plus a layout of the proposed project. But no renders.

From the Tennessean video....

Austin, Texas-based Endeavor Real Estate Group has a contract to buy the block between 12th and 13th avenues south and Demonbreun and McGavock streets for the project. That's the same developer behind the Whole Foods-anchored residential project for which construction will start next month on the former Nelson Mazda dealership site at Broadway and 12th Avenue South.

On Tuesday, Endeavor will go before the Metro Development and Housing Agency's design review committee seeking to extend to a greater portion of the site the maximum height of 28 stories allowable under the Downtown Code at the key intersection of 12th and Demonbreun. In exchange, the developer is offering a public open space "plaza" that will feature public art, outdoor seating and trees, and is committing to meet or exceed sidewalk design standards. 

36149232126_1d0197e50b_c.jpg

35385507353_7f7bb7e24e_c.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Titans10 said:

So I'm a bit confused too. so is this different from the other Endeavor project with the Whole Foods? And will there now be two whole foods downtown? Or am I just bad at reading?

It's more an issue of bad writing/info on their part than bad reading on your part.   The Whole Foods is still slated for the Mazda site, they're just pretending (or forgot) that these projects aren't separated by a McDonalds, Adeles, and West End for some reason.  Unless I'm even more confused than you are, but I'm pretty sure that's what is going on here. 

The bad news is, these old awesome renderings appear to have been scrapped based on the floor counts and the shape of the official massing-renderings that the Tennessean has now.   Typical. 

4 hours ago, Titans10 said:

So I'm a bit confused too. so is this different from the other Endeavor project with the Whole Foods? And will there now be two whole foods downtown? Or am I just bad at reading?

Separate projects. Both by Endeavor.One whole foods on the Mazda site.

3 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

The bad news is, these old awesome renderings appear to have been scrapped based on the floor counts and the shape of the official massing-renderings that the Tennessean has now.   Typical. 

I think the block-building images that the Tennessean released were more of a simple massing schematic to inform the general public of the layout. As I understand it, these beautiful renderings were not supposed to be released until much later. 

There have been a couple different designs over the last few years.  The two previous versions have been drastically different so I'm not sure what to expect.  Architect has changed from HH in Dallas to Earl Swensson in Nashville.  They are in the design phase now so there should be new renderings out later this year, early next year. 

• Like 3

Largest SoBro self storage facility (6 stories, 242,000 sq. ft.) planned to replace current space at 800 5th Ave. South. The new facility will be on the 1.21 acre lot at the southeast corner of the intersection of Ash/Division Street and Fifth Avenue South.

Sure wish there were some slots for commericial/retail at ground level to activate the street.  But alas....no.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/07/28/industry-giant-plans-nashvilles-largest-self-storage-facility-sobro/518503001/

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 6.53.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 6.54.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 6.54.39 AM.png

• Like 1