Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I was bummed because I don't get to spend a whole lot of time here in Nashville any more and wanted to drink outside with locals! I had heard that it clears out on holiday weekends, but maybe Sunday at 3:00 is just a dead time? Again, probably should've gone to Hillsboro Village or 5 Points. I will say how impressive I find the infrastructure in the Gulch - Nashville is good at getting ahead of the growth in that respect! 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I've always assumed that store is entirely for the benefit of the workday crowd and the numbers don't line up for a traditional schedule. And really that's what I'd like to find out about the Gulch and that type of store, what is the gap that makes opening a store unpalatable. 

There are a good number of people in ICON above 45 anecdotally.

You are probably right, I just remember when I toured the building we went to the pool area and it was a steroid festival for the men, and thong bikini festival for women 18-23. The ICON sales agent told us that the MAJORITY of people who live in ICON were Vanderbilt college students whose parents bought them units. 

Honestly, I found the building a bit pretentious. Sorry, I feel the same about The Gulch in general. It is much more laid back on the East Side. No one cares what you look like, how much money you have. The Gulch seems to be the area for the Nouveau Riche', while Germantown, North Capital,  and East Nashville are for more laid back people who are not out "to make the scene" as it were. 

• Like 1

You are probably right, I just remember when I toured the building we went to the pool area and it was a steroid festival for the men, and thong bikini festival for women 18-23. The ICON sales agent told us that the MAJORITY of people who live in ICON were Vanderbilt college students whose parents bought them units. 

Honestly, I found the building a bit pretentious. Sorry, I feel the same about The Gulch in general. It is much more laid back on the East Side. No one cares what you look like, how much money you have. The Gulch seems to be the area for the Nouveau Riche', while Germantown, North Capital,  and East Nashville are for more laid back people who are not out "to make the scene" as it were. 

Well that's the thing, you just avoid 9 (the Ultra Lounge, big pool area) and that crowd becomes mostly invisible.

And in even bigger real estate news, Gulch Crossings one step closer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/05/gulch-furniture-store-moving-downtown.html

Cool for two reasons...one, bringing GC closer to reality...two, because ET Burk is moving downtown. I certainly hope they are successful at that location. It's great to see any retail moving to actual downtown.

Btw -- I had no idea GC was going to go all the way to Velocity. Wow...that's gonna be big.

If you look closely at the one rendering that was released of Gulch Crossing, you can see that retail lines 11th Avenue between the new building and Velocity.

Btw -- I had no idea GC was going to go all the way to Velocity. Wow...that's gonna be big.

Lots of parking, I'm guessing.

I bet you are right! :thumbsup:

E.T Burk is a great store with a great family history. I have been in the store a few times, but they are very expensive and I don't know how much exposure they will get on 8th and Broadway. They would do great in East Nashville.

Now those Vandy kids will have an office to go to every day!

Funny!

E.T Burk is a great store with a great family history. I have been in the store a few times, but they are very expensive and I don't know how much exposure they will get on 8th and Broadway. They would do great in East Nashville.

I haven't been there before. I would guess that if they have a good reputation and fine furniture, their clientele would find them wherever they would choose to locate.

I suppose a Broadway location would provide them some visibility for visitors to town (though I imagine that out-of-town furniture buying is rare unless a specific trip is made for it...i.e. driving to High Point, NC, or to antique malls). Who knows. But I love the building they picked.

Does anyone know why M&A Tobacco and Beer seems to have just disappeared? Also haven't been able to find out a reason Studded seems to have closed without warning end of April.

And thanks for the warm welcome all, appreciated.

Does anyone know why M&A Tobacco and Beer seems to have just disappeared? Also haven't been able to find out a reason Studded seems to have closed without warning end of April.

And thanks for the warm welcome all, appreciated.

I noticed that yesterday. The owner I bet knew he was out of place in the Gulch.

The final reading of the budget is this week or next. WW said we should know who got the hotel TIF by July. Could be another 6 week wait for us built environment junkies to find out if it's Tony,  Swerdling, or some other entity.

The final reading of the budget is this week or next. WW said we should know who got the hotel TIF by July. Could be another 6 week wait for us built environment junkies to find out if it's Tony,  Swerdling, or some other entity.

I think a refresher on how TIF works may be best.

Here is a decent site I got from a simple Google search. http://www.businessinthedistrict.com/pdf/What_is_TIF.pdf

For what it's worth, an employee parked in the Richards and Richards Building said they had to be out soon due to the finalization of the hotel project.

I am happy to see a new coffee shop coming to the downtown area.  Just hope the Frothy Monkey will have business hours that extend later than the "evil chain's" (Starbucks) locations...especially on weekends!

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/frothy-monkey-opening-coffee-house.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-06-04&u=qxuEocSwFoSov+Jkbc9q1k9ADdu&t=1370377248

For what it's worth, an employee parked in the Richards and Richards Building said they had to be out soon due to the finalization of the hotel project.

Where is the Richards and Richards building located and do we know what hotel?

I am happy to see a new coffee shop coming to the downtown area. Just hope the Frothy Monkey will have business hours that extend later than the "evil chain's" (Starbucks) locations...especially on weekends!

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/06/frothy-monkey-opening-coffee-house.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-06-04&u=qxuEocSwFoSov+Jkbc9q1k9ADdu&t=1370377248

Awesome. One of THE most beautiful buildings in Nashville IMO.

I am happy to see a new coffee shop coming to the downtown area.  Just hope the Frothy Monkey will have business hours that extend later than the "evil chain's" (Starbucks) locations...especially on weekends!

I like the spot. Not too far from a good bit of residential (including Kress itself), and it's positioned well for the offices in the area, as well as the art galleries (might help with weekend traffic that way).

Where is the Richards and Richards building located and do we know what hotel?

I think this would be where the Swerdling development is looking... 2nd S and 3rd S to Broadway

Here is a rendering of a proposed Westin for the property in 2008 or 2009.

broadway%20hotel%202007*600.jpg?v=1