Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The views of the river rolling hill mill residents will be blocked , time for the Nay sayers to come out  :-/

Wouldn't the view be improved by that? Along with Bridgstone, Sobro, Hayes, and all the various hotels coming, their view would become amazing. Almost as if they lived in a city or something.

I also have some other stuff I am waiting to share with everyone as soon as they are able to get it in story format. Either way, I will share all Saturday at the meet.

Was that meet yesterday? What's the news? If you don't mind me asking.

The views of the river rolling hill mill residents will be blocked , time for the Nay sayers to come out  :-/

Well, most if not all have no say as these are rentals and not condos and if they are not property owners, well wahhhhhh. If. Anyone one of us lived there we would be saying bring it on.

• Like 3

Wouldn't the view be improved by that? Along with Bridgstone, Sobro, Hayes, and all the various hotels coming, their view would become amazing. Almost as if they lived in a city or something.

I personality don't have a problem with the highrise development I encourage it but lately downtown residents have been complaining about the new towers that are going up and losing their views,

Philip, you haven't been in the room long enough quite yet.  Chris was being facetious about the height and the naysayers.  It's a general theme and prevailing issue which is predictable and expected without hesitation with just about anything.  The fact about Cummins is that its height increase will not be nearly as dramatic as those of new Devs, and Chris used that fact to point out the sensitivity to even a modest change, as with Cummins (not to say that this change is minor).  There's always someone who'll b!tch about even an elevator mechanical-room dog house erected atop a roof.
-==-

Philip, you haven't been in the room long enough quite yet.  Chris was being facetious about the height and the naysayers.  It's a general theme and prevailing issue which is predictable and expected without hesitation with just about anything.  The fact about Cummins is that its height increase will not be nearly as dramatic as those of new Devs, and Chris used that fact to point out the sensitivity to even a modest change, as with Cummins (not to say that this change is minor).  There's always someone who'll b!tch about even an elevator mechanical-room dog house erected atop a roof.-==-

I hope those people get ignored. Perhaps their view may even expand outside of just the downtown skyline, since there's development is happening in Midtown, Gulch, etc. It's hard to believe people want the view to remain unchanged, but like you said, he was being facetious.

Yeah I didn't mean that literally but it wouldn't be uncommon in today's Nashville people complaining about that too  in the Rolling Mill Hill hopefully I'm wrong  

As the city grows residents are going to have to make adjustments.

That's what people need to realize....it's not like we're building *one* residential tower. We're building a lot. Views will change. I do understand if you go from having a nice cityscape view to having your view dominated by one building in close proximity....but that's only the case with a few buildings. For the most part, the view is going to change to be more urban. If you choose to live in an urban setting, really, what could be better than having a more urban view? Especially if it is an attractive building. I can kind of get Encore's gripe. The entire west side view will be obliterated by Bridgestone, and part of the east side view will be blocked (rather handsomely) by the SoBro. 1212? They knew (or should have known) going in that the Eakin building would block some views when it was to be built (thankfully, both building's parking garages help buffer the effect). 

It should be known, though, if you live in downtown (or even midtown) that no views are guaranteed. In a hot city, a taller building might get built next to you. If you are worried about that & your property values....sell now. Because the market is kind of hot in those areas.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this because I live in a residential high rise myself if the residential building was advertised by having views and they bought the unit not only because of the urban experience but the view as well, I can kind of see how a resident in one of these buildings will be upset if they bought the building for the downtown view and then they put a tower right in front of your building maybe the residential development should not advertise the downtown view as part of the selling pitch for the condos not knowing the view could potentially be lost in the future , 

because I personally wanted downtown view, myself but there's none available in the Icon , and believe it or not the prices differ if you have a downtown view  or not , what i was told to me before I got the unit in the Icon is the land in front of Pine Street flats as built there will be no building built in the area that will block the Icon view , but it does not bother me that we're growing and it's all part of living in a city I embrace the growth 

Edited by chris holman
  • Like 4

I read at Nashville Post that this fall is when Myers Flooring is being acquired to build the Crescendo. Is there any news on that? For some reason I dread bad news that it won't happen since I haven't heard any talk about it despite the time being here already for its purchase.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/6/5/fall_acquisition_targeted_for_gulch_site_slated_for_crescendo

I read at Nashville Post that this fall is when Myers Flooring is being acquired to build the Crescendo. Is there any news on that? For some reason I dread bad news that it won't happen since I haven't heard any talk about it despite the time being here already for its purchase.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/6/5/fall_acquisition_targeted_for_gulch_site_slated_for_crescendo

Ref: Dialog on this from last May, for catching up with past discussion (Gulch Projects ─ p44):

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/115619-the-gulch-projects/?page=44

-==-

The article about the two MDHA parcels at the Trolley Barns mentions that the parcel closest to the river excludes the greenway segment.    The greenway in question is the short segment that overlooks the river up on Rolling Mill Hill (which has spectacular views if you've never checked it out) and then descends a ramp to run along the river bluff behind Pinewood Social.  

This greenway segment was recently extended underneath KVB bridge to connect with the new Ascend Amphitheater park, which is great, but it's puzzling the way the connection was handled.    There is a connection at the uppermost corner of the amphitheater park, but the greenway effectively stops there.  Standing here, one can see a landscaped paved walkway that continues along the east (river) side of the amphitheater and connects with the lawn and dog park on the pedestrian bridge side of the park.   And from the looks of this path, one would assume it is the continuation of the greenway, but on most days the walkway is fenced off.  Fail.   To get to the lawn and dog park, pedestrians using the greenway have to detour down KVB and circumvent the amphitheater along KVB and First Ave and then reconnect again down near the ped bridge.       

I can maybe understand the need to cordon off access to the amphitheater bowl and stage area during non-event hours, but hey, how hard would it have been to leave the river-side walkway on the outside of the fence to allow greenway traffic flow to continue?     It's the same odd treatment of a greenway as occurred at the First TN Park with the Sulfur Dell greenway being blocked and enclosed on the inside of the stadium fence.   Why Metro?     

• Like 3

Ascend was wide open yesterday! It was my first stroll through the new Riverfront Park--it's NICE! The bowl showed some signs of "wear and tear" from the crowds on soggy sod, but overall the place is quite impressive.

Was the fence open so you could walk into the bowl area?   I hope that is to be the normal state of things.   I've tried to run through the park 4 or 5 times this summer and found the fence closed each time, but maybe I just keep hitting it when event setup or maintenance is going on.       

Agree the place overall is impressive.   They did a really nice job with it and the skyline backdrop just makes it all work.    

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 1

Now that the Sounds season is over is there any update on the greenway through / adjacent to the ballpark being opened to the public?  I biked by a few times recently and it is still closed off.

From my understanding it will remain closed while the garage is under construction and may be for longer as the Sounds residential project is supposed to start soon.

• Like 1

Well...we finally get a height number: 400'.  I'll take it.

As for the .87 acres left over...I wonder if there's a developer out there itching to buy it?  Would love to see someone go ahead and jump on that and build something soon after JWM.