Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Good questions that the city leaders are (no doubt) NOT pondering.  With a little ingenuity and leadership, there could be private/public partnerships to repurpose the building, say trading permission to go up to a very tall height on the parking lot to a developer in exchange for integrating and reusing the West building. There are many potential uses, heck even possibly serving as the podium of a complex that covers the whole site.  That's the sort of (forward) thinking I don't expect from city leaders... and one that's often seen in cities that are going through a boom... just level it and let the highest bidder deal with it. 

...And the city just might have to get off some of that peremptory practice of mandating perhaps some "unreasonable" constraints and contractual conditions, which might be the underlying roadblock on the old library repurposing.  It's also got to be realized that in this particular period of liberal TIF's, a developer often can make out far better by scarfing up other available properties and starting from scratch, for attaining its goal, so in that sense, a developer in its right mind probably wouldn't even think about touching the library property.  As you say, city leaders are going to have to start cranking out some creativity and forward thinking for a change, if we ever hope to see adaptive reuse of its own properties.
-==-

• Like 1

Point of discussion: What to do with Ben West Building (former downtown library)?  Does the city still own it, as well as the large parking lot on the south side? Certainly a prime location for something substantial.  The design gets mixed reviews, and it's layout limits it's practical usages. There appears to be parking for about 50 cars in a sub-level underneath. The building has some nice qualities in that it has plenty of floor space in two massive main rooms on the first floor.  Could possibly work well as a museum, or ballrooms/music venues, or several high-class restaurants. But my guess is the land is worth more than either the potential uses of the existing structure or the revenue of just parking in the south lot.  Thoughts?

Old Library a, Sept.jpg

Those are two separate parking lots. The small one just below Ben West is the one linked to the library property (which used to be a townhouse up until around 1970, I believe). The larger one stretching down to Church is owned by another entity. The larger lot, as we've touched on many times, is the site of the former Hotel Tulane. It was demolished in 1956, so has the infamy of being one of the longest-lived vacant lots in the central core (that once held a substantial structure). Truly sad when you consider it would've been a beautiful bookend for the street and good restoration project to compliment its former neighbors, Benny-Dillon & The Doctors Buildings.

2011_10.png

Edited by fieldmarshaldj
  • Like 3

Install some garage door windows and turn it into a honkytonk.

It would be packed more than any other watering trough in the DT, given that site and its size ─ guarandamteed.  If the city had at least kept it active for booking its auditorium as a venue for small conferences and professional whatnot events, then at least it would have brought in some revenue, assured, but since it's been allowed to deteriorate for so long, it going to need at least a costly rehab. -==-

• Like 1

The old library building could be converted to a museum or entertainment venue.  If the city is truly committed to diversifying culturally then it truly needs to start exploring options to create that diversity in the arts.  I know that you can't compare Nashville to NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran, Boston, even Washington, DC when it comes to cultural diversity, but that doesn't mean Nashville shouldn't explore the types of venues that those cities have that appeal to a diverse populous and tourists.  One of the things I truly enjoy about Washington, DC is the number of small theater and art venues.  Most people know about the Kennedy Center, the National Theater, the Smithsonian and the National Gallery of Art.  But there are so many art galleries in DC to take in small exhibits and collections.  Additionally for the entertaining arts, there are several music venues, some which are as small as Tootsies others that can seat 200 to maybe 1,000.  Then there are two theater venues that I really enjoy because they are designed specifically for small stage productions.  One is Studio Theater, the other is called Arena Stage.  Both offer multiple theaters that are perfect for small plays or theater productions.  I'd be surprised if any of the theaters in either venue seats more than 250 people.  Yet they bring in small production plays that can still do some pretty amazing staging and sets.  At the same time, many of the plays are very minimal in their staging to allow for imagination, interpretation and focus on the content.  I've been to a couple of plays that had no staging, it was simple done in the round on the concrete flooring at the same level of the first row of seats.  In short these theaters are very intimate and engaging.  I could see the Ben West building converted to such a venue with multiple small theaters.  They could even follow suit with Arena stages and have an area for art classes, a dinning hall that people can eat at prior to an event and visit during intermission.  The venue could also be used for special events, like weddings, wedding receptions and small dinner functions for various organizations and groups.  On the south side of the building it would be great to build a deck of a portion of the parking lot to have an nice outdoor space where the venue operators could offer a Sunday Jazz Brunch, and people can gather for a cocktail before and after a show.  There are opportunities for the Ben West building.  The question is will Nashville or some developer pursue those options or let this building continue to deteriorate to a point to where the return on investment wouldn't be worth it?

• Like 3

I think with the Ben West location being just a 1 1/2 blocks from the impending Lifeway Campus redevelopment, as well as adjacent to all the state government offices, 1 block from the Sheraton/Hermitage Hotels, and 1/2 block from the (someday) new Federal Courthouse, that there is a large potential for foot traffic that could be tapped for something.  I think this corner of CDB is going to finally blossom into something more vital than its sleepy disposition of the last 3 decades. And that large surface lot on the south side could also be transformed into a key for that area. A 35-45-story big boy would look terrific there as sort of a companion piece to the Snodgrass Tower to the north with the Ben West Bldg. as a centering element in between.

Install some garage door windows and turn it into a honkytonk.

I know you may be joking but one of my concerns is this unprecedented growth of nashville's downtown and our new nashville midtown is lack of a good planning vision.  Due to our success we now have developers who mostly may be creating projects mostly on the ability to assemble land.  Now assembling land is important but it does not mean it is the best locations for the uses they are proposing.  Nashville with its new downtown code went from a FAR of typically 5 floor building's in much of downtown and midtown to much higher density.  This opened the flood gates of the possibility of all these new high-rises.  Yes we needed to update the old zoning-but we did not put much of a plan or direction of a good master plan- long range vision of the city.  Now one can build high density structures on hundreds properties in midtown and downtown.  Much of this is good but we still do not have a vision that includes important elements such as transportation, open space, and concentrated higher density.  I fear our plan will just be determined based on whether developers can assemble the properties.  As long as we have strong demand you can put a condo or apartment almost anywhere and that seems to be what we are doing.  Many of the developers assemble the property, build the building and then sell it, and make their profit.  They may not have to worry about the long term success or impact their project has on the neighborhood or city.  When all of the cranes come down in three years what kind of mess will we have.  Will it be grid lock, with there be enough parking, will there be access to transportation so it is walkable.  I also understand that the city will be raising building heights again in sobro for more taller buildings south of KVB in the future.  pop pop pop Boom.   not necessarily a pretty situation.

Similarly since since LoBro is full with no vacanies for more honky tonks are we going to get the noise blasting music boxes in high rise Sobro full of apartments, condos, and hotels.  I feel this is a concern.  Or church street, printers alley or ben west building.   

Edited by Nashvilletitans
  • Like 1

I don't know why it couldn't be made into the new Tennessee State Museum, and keep a small library (history of TN etc.) in the basement to avoid any legal ramifications per the Polk family will... and lease/sell the adjacent parcel with requirements to beef up parking and any other critical need for that corner of downtown. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of activity on Arthur Ave 

1514 & 1516 Arthur are both framed up, Trust Development

1411 Arthur Ave was surveyed, they are going to build a 4 bedroom and a 3 bedroom on this parcel

1405 Arthur Ave (a 3 Unit) demo was issued, they are taking it down this morning.

zLYH85R.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know why it couldn't be made into the new Tennessee State Museum, and keep a small library (history of TN etc.) in the basement to avoid any legal ramifications per the Polk family will... and lease/sell the adjacent parcel with requirements to beef up parking and any other critical need for that corner of downtown. 

Bredesen was able to do some creative horse-trading while in the mayor's office, like negotiating with the USPS for the downtown building (giving them some land out by the airport in exchange) and then turning that practically abandoned 1930s art-deco gem on Broadway into the Frist Center for the Arts.  Perhaps Mayor Berry could do the same with the Tennessee State Government either to turn Ben West into the State Museum, or Library, or Archive.  I know several of those are slated for the Bicentennial Mall, but you never know what might strike someone's fancy as a better deal.  

William has an update, of sorts, on the Cambria.  They want to open by sometime early in '18.  Couple of pics of Cambrias in other cites.  Hmmmm, I hope Nashville gets one like that suburban style building with that silly little corner tower cliche attached to it.  

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2015/9/28/target_opening_date_disclosed_for_cambria_slated_for_sobro

Cambria.png

• Like 1