Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I have mixed feelings on The Station Inn. It can come down and it would not hurt my feelings. The Station Inn is better suited for East Nashville or somewhere near Lower Broadway. I can see them moving soon anyway. The nouveau riche in The Gulch is not exactly The Station Inn crowd. With what is being constructed in The Gulch, The Station Inn is out of their element among the Vanderbilt crowd that frequents The Gulch. I cannot see a debutant sophomore looking for her MRS. Degree going to The Station Inn, but I could be wrong.

Nah...Elvis is Memphis.

Giant nekkid Dolly Parton...now that would be interesting. It might not be structurally sound, though.

Back when the old Fountain Square mall at MetroCenter opened, they were having country celebs putting their handprints in cement. Dolly wanted to make an imprint of her most famous assets. She thought better of it, saying she was worried little boys would fall in it and hurt themselves. :shok:

I have mixed feelings on The Station Inn. It can come down and it would not hurt my feelings. The Station Inn is better suited for East Nashville or somewhere near Lower Broadway. I can see them moving soon anyway. The nouveau riche in The Gulch is not exactly The Station Inn crowd. With what is being constructed in The Gulch, The Station Inn is out of their element among the Vanderbilt crowd that frequents The Gulch. I cannot see a debutant sophomore looking for her MRS. Degree going to The Station Inn, but I could be wrong.

Where I think you're wrong is in assuming that urban life is about making sure that debutante never has to leave her comfort zone-she might not go to the Station Inn, but that doesn't give her veto power over it merely being there. 

The whole charm of urban life is the juxtaposition of different kinds of people, buildings and businesses, if you don't like that stay in the suburbs.  Obviously some parts of town are going to be overall richer and some poorer, but the mentality that decides certain people are "out of their element" in the Gulch can only make the Gulch a really boring place. 

On a related note, I was sad to see Provence leave the Gulch.  I'd like to retain some light industry like that in the core to have a really living, mixed use, organic city. 

• Like 1

You make some good points but I like having The Station Inn where it has long been. The Gulch needs some grit and quirk, too. SI provides just that.

WW

I was being facetious about the debutante, but as usual it gets lost on some. My apologies. I do think the SI needs to be in East Nashville, or Lower Broadway. JMHO.

John

I will agree with N' Ville on one point. Provence leaving the Gulch and being replaced by a debutante retailer, (hint hint, humor) was a mistake. My point being The Gulch is overwhelmingly a Vanderbilt residential area for those whose parents can afford to buy them a condo.

I agree urbanity needs to serve all, but again my point was lost as usual.

I get your point 5th&M, and I think you are right. I doubt the Gulch crowd cares very much about SI. However, being that the neighborhood was built around SI, and not the other way around, I would like to see it stay. They may find someday that they are better off somewhere else, but for the time being, a little culture (yes, i consider SI as culture) could do Ms. Debutant some good. I also would have liked to see the bakery stay put.

On a similar note, I think exit/in leaving Elliston would be much more of a tragedy than SI leaving the gulch. That one would hurt.

I get your point 5th&M, and I think you are right. I doubt the Gulch crowd cares very much about SI. However, being that the neighborhood was built around SI, and not the other way around, I would like to see it stay. They may find someday that they are better off somewhere else, but for the time being, a little culture (yes, i consider SI as culture) could do Ms. Debutant some good. I also would have liked to see the bakery stay put.

On a similar note, I think exit/in leaving Elliston would be much more of a tragedy than SI leaving the gulch. That one would hurt.

Agreed on the Exit/In moving. Spent a lot of time there in the 1980's, even when it was called Bash Rip Rocks for a short time.

In the case of the Ryman, had Bud Wendell  (former CEO of Gayllord) had his way, it would have been torn down and moved out to Opryland as an exhibit. What a travesty that would have been.

Seriously speaking, I don't want The Gulch to become a trendy retail and night spot for the 20 somethings, rather a thriving gritty urban neighborhood. There is plenty of that in Cool Springs where Miss. Debutant is more comfortable.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

Our urban neighborhoods are all a bit different in feel...I don't think it would be a bad thing if one particularly attracts the 20-somethings crowd. After all, they are the ones that are most likely to lead to a social change in how urban neighborhoods are thought of (especially around here). 

Each urban neighborhood we have sort of caters to a different crowd. 

The Gulch location is not the original location of the Station Inn.  I believe that it started out off of West End, but that was before my time in Nashville.   So I guess that it could move again, but that would be a shame.  I am one of those who was flying to Nashville and coming to the Station Inn before the Icon and other buildings were there.  On my visits to the Station Inn, I have met many very educated people who came long distances just to see the Station Inn - as is.  I worked the door for some friends of mine and met a young couple who had come in from France!  Also, the Consul General of Japan who lives in Nashville has a bluegrass band. 

I would argue that if the Station Inn were to move, that it does not belong on Lower Broadway because, while that area has its merits, the Lower Broadway performances are heavy on covers of big hits meant to draw in the tourists who are out for beers and rowdiness, while the Station Inn brings in audiences - most of whom are educated musicians themselves - who are on a pilgrimage that is more like a Bluebird Cafe experience.  They want to discern lyrical and musical details that you can't get shouting over obnoxious drunks.  Lower Broadway honky tonks are free admission, while the Station Inn performances often have covers of at least $10 if not $15 or more and many different musical acts have recorded live albums there.  The Station Inn draws lots of college students, so I would say that the Gulch's proximity to Vandy/Belmont/Lipscomb is a good one.