Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Thanks so much for joining our community Jim. It is great to have developers such as yourself on the board and posting. I commend you for what you are doing in G-town and what you are planning. I do know about another project and I will wait till that hits the media, but it is really exciting.

A big welcome to you and please feel free to join us at out forum meets as well.

Way off topic, I know, but does anybody know why one of the two flag poles at the Federal courthouse on the Broadway side was removed?

Yes as a matter a fact I do. It rusted and fell down. I noticed it a few weeks ago walking by there and noticed that the bottom was rusted, broken and cracked, so  the wind must have blown it down.

Everyone seemed to be curious about the layout of the Hilton Garden, so here you go with the final site plan.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2013/041113/2005UD-002-001_plan.pdf

Interesting. I like the way they have pedestrian access through to 3rd. I also like the rooftop terrace.

For reference, here's the rendering (which we now know is looking SE from the corner of KVB and Almond). I like the way the dressed the parking structure (right hand side).

HiltonGardenInn_zpsaab7feb9.jpg

Edited by UTgrad09

I am quite interested to see how the building will address the corner of KVB and 3rd.  Will it be that blank wall we saw in the concept drawing?

Because of the pedestrian access listed on the site plan, I imagine, or at least I hope that the blank wall is not a part of this plan. Plus, it mentions benches and planters along the side. That's certainly an improvement over the concept.

Yes, I saw that "access", but it's not clear to me what form that will take.  Being that it's not at the corner, but midblock, it looks to me like the actual corner will have a high-wall effect as that terrace extends to the front of the building (which is really to the side from KVB).  I'm not optimistic, as I think the access from 3rd will in fact be a rear entrance (of sorts) that will lead to the lobby.  Yes, it looks like there will be an extension of the terrace that wraps around to 3rd.  If that's the case, then a big disappointment, although it does look like windows will extend on the street level almost to the corner (underneath the terrace). 

So yes, I agree with NVWill, and really want to see the street elevations. 

And Nevin Battiwalla writes about the first permit issued for Hensler's apartment tower at 12th and Laurel.  For foundation work... http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/03/04/work-starts-on-new-gulch-high-rise.html

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Looking forward to watching the Hilton Garden Inn rise. It should create a minor skyline impact high on the hill. I wonder how long Fiesta Mexicana and The Rutledge stay around. Their property values may rise to the point they choose to sell for another high rise development. Should be interesting to watch.

On the topic of property values, I was wondering about the McDonald's quagmire at Broadway and 12th, and to a lesser extent properties such as the Taco Bell or Checkers further up the road: At what point do property values and/or property taxes become too high to sustain what many of us would call underutilization of urban real estate? Within the industry, is there a commonly understood ratio of rent+tax / revenue or some other tipping point where it just doesn't make financial sense to operate a single-story standalone business in an urban setting? Or is it just up to the owner's good sense (or lack thereof)?

To ponder from a different angle, could the city adopt some kind of property or use tax that, while respecting constitutional rights, in some way makes it unpleasant for such businesses to operate in areas targeted for development?

On the topic of property values, I was wondering about the McDonald's quagmire at Broadway and 12th, and to a lesser extent properties such as the Taco Bell or Checkers further up the road: At what point do property values and/or property taxes become too high to sustain what many of us would call underutilization of urban real estate? Within the industry, is there a commonly understood ratio of rent+tax / revenue or some other tipping point where it just doesn't make financial sense to operate a single-story standalone business in an urban setting? Or is it just up to the owner's good sense (or lack thereof)?

To ponder from a different angle, could the city adopt some kind of property or use tax that, while respecting constitutional rights, in some way makes it unpleasant for such businesses to operate in areas targeted for development?

I would like to know this as well. I don't have anything to add, other than a second vote for curiosity. I would like to hear some educated thoughts on this matter, for anyone that is "in the know".

Not in the know, but IMO what I would do is eventually try to get retail space (if I owned) or get the owners (if I was council or whatever) to relocate to available retail space in the developments happening, especially around the MCC and Midtown.  With things popping up (and some are pretty large), I would think it wouldn't be too hard.  (As for drive thrus, that part may just have to be scrapped.  Maybe they could offer park and serve like a sonic or something.)  That way both parties could be mostly satisfied.  Just a thought as I don't know any cost analysis. I live in a perfect world! :P

I would like to know this as well. I don't have anything to add, other than a second vote for curiosity. I would like to hear some educated thoughts on this matter, for anyone that is "in the know".

My biggest beef with that is who would determine what areas are targeted for development... and more importantly, this would just open the proverbial can of worm of corruption. Plus, to apply different property tax rates just because a property is being eyed by a developer would be grossly unfair (that's why properties are assessed differently). I hear you though, and presumably, the rise in assessed values does what you are saying. It just takes a bit longer.

Edited by MLBrumby

I am not an expert here by many means, but a property use tax could be something useful in the future, but it does have moral and ethical considerations. In the future we will see many properties worth more than the businesses that sit on them.

Walked by the site this past weekend. Evidently they have been working in full force and the foundation permits have been pulled.

• Like 1

Just up the appraisals. It's on Broadway at 12th, the intersection of downtown, The Gulch, and Midtown. Very hot right now. It wouldn't be criminal to recognize that fact.

wow, i never thought about it like that. that's a serious, serious intersection.

eric b

I think the city already overvalues appraisals for property tax purposes and undervalues them for condemnation purposes.... i thimk Tower Investments would agree....the judge did. It is a very slippery slope to advocate for individual parcels to be inflated to coerce property owners.