Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

17 minutes ago, titanhog said:

What would have been really cool was if the MCC had a few "retail" fronted rooms facing the streets ringing the center.  I know that's probably not typical, but it sure would have been a cool way to further enhance street-level activation.

They did initially on the KVB side, but shortly before or after it opened the decision was made to turn those spaces into the offices for the center because of the retail market wasn't there.  In a couple years, I think we'll all agree that this was a missed opportunity to activate the KVB side. 

• Like 1

I actually wish Metro Center had lived up to its original intent.  Victor Johnson Jr. former owner and CEO of Aladdin industries had what many believed to have been a very eccentric vision to build a city within a city called Metro Center.  Either Aladdin or the Johnson's owned the land and their goal was to develop it.   In the very first building built in Metro Center which I believed was called and may still be called Nashville House (it's the 80's contemporary building that sits right below I-65), there were plans for what Metro Center was supposed to evolve into.  It was initially controlled by Aladdin Industries and/ or its owner Victor Johnson Jr.  His vision called for creating an environment in which people lived, worked, went to school, shopped, worshiped and played all in one area.  There was a rendering that depicted Metro Center with several high rise office and apartment buildings.  The rendering had a futuristic skyline that easily eclipsed the downtown skyline at that time.  There was a complex for shopping that was supposed to surround the lake.  And, there was a K-12 school that was supposed to be specifically for kids living in Metro Center.  The Ted Rhodes Golf Course would be incorporated into Metro Center along with other recreational activities like tennis courts, an aquatic center, and open park space.  Incorporating water into the landscaping of a lot of the buildings was also important.  This is why you see water around some of the buildings built during Metro Center's early days.

I'm not sure when Aladdin gave up on the full scope of Metro Center, but it was clear that it was not going to be what they envisioned, at least not to the scale they wanted.  The perimeter of Metro Center had already become more like a warehouse district.  So, they begin selling property and eventually having no interest in the development.  Probably because Aladdin Industries was going down the drain.  

Metro Center in my opinion became an urban suburban office park.  I worked in Metro Center from the early 80's through 1998.  So, I saw a lot of ups and downs with the area.  It seems to be on a tick upwards again.  But, it probably will never be the city within a city that Victor Johnson visioned.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, titanhog said:

What would have been really cool was if the MCC had a few "retail" fronted rooms facing the streets ringing the center.  I know that's probably not typical, but it sure would have been a cool way to further enhance street-level activation.

The Washington, D.C. convention Center has retail and restaurants on one side.  Its been a hit and miss as to what works.  But as the area continues to evolve I'm sure that will change.  But, I agree having shops and restaurants would have been far more pleasing than seeing what essentially looks like the back of a building facing a major thoroughfare. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

It would only be a full block from the new MDHA parking garage to this part of 5th Avenue.  When downtown I usually park for free near the Christ Episcopal Church on 9th and Broadway and walk a whole 6-7 blocks that will take maybe 6-7 minutes.  It is hard for me to understand how people won't walk a short distance, other than those handicapped or elderly.  Of course, I see young, clearly healthy people circle the Green Hills Y to find a parking spot near the entrance...and they are going to work out!

Those are the type of people that curl in the squat rack. Hate 'em! 

Edited by claya91
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 17thandFisk said:

I remember going to Metro Center as a kid with my dad to a seafood restaurant there (fisherman something or hungry fisherman perhaps).  I thought it was magical.  Then came fountain square and soon the whole area went down the tubes. lol

The Hungry Fisherman sounds familiar. You didn't think Fountain Square (AKA The Mistake By The Lake) was magical ? :D

11 hours ago, 17thandFisk said:

I remember going to Metro Center as a kid with my dad to a seafood restaurant there (fisherman something or hungry fisherman perhaps).  I thought it was magical.  Then came fountain square and soon the whole area went down the tubes. lol

It was called the Hungry Fisherman.  It sat on Bush Lake in the southeastern corner of Metro Center.  I worked at Nortel Networks (Northern Telecom) when it was in the "L" shaped building near the Hungry Fisherman, then eventually in the Nortel Complex that was built across from Fountain Square on Athens Way.  I believe the building is now a State office building.  I think the TN Lottery operated out of it for a while.  Nice building, hope they kept it nice on the inside.  It had very expensive commissioned art that I wonder if it is still there or did Nortel move it elsewhere.

Fountain Square was a hit for about 10 minutes... LOL  I lived in the northwestern part of Bordeaux so, I really liked having Fountain Square nearby.  It was a temporary answer to my issue of Bordeaux being underdeveloped and having few sources for shopping outside a grocery store, hardware store and a dollar general store.  Fountain Square had several of the nationally branded stores that were new to the Nashville market.  So, it was unique.  But, then Nashville built a mall in downtown and the same stores that were in Fountain Square opened up shop there as well.  Then those same stores opened in Green Hills and Rivergate and Hickory Hollow and so on....   So, Fountain Square was no longer a destination and it collapsed.

Something else many of you may not remember or know about Metro Center... it was the dumping ground for the Ford Glass Plant.  That is why you see so much glass in the ground during excavation for new projects.  It's unclear if it was legal for Ford to dump in the area.  When Metro Center Blvd first opened and you drove through, you would see glass everywhere.  It literally sparkled like diamonds every where.  Also, over the years Metro Center became a hot spot for clubbing.  The first club opened in the late 70's/early 80's.  It was located in one of the warehouse style office suite buildings on Cumberland Bend in the southeastern section of Metro Center.  It was a true disco club with a full lighted floor.  I hated that it was literally across the parking lot from where I was interning with Northern Telecom, I always felt like I was heading into the office... LOL.  When the Hungry Fisherman closed its doors it became a club for a while.  I think it may have lasted until it burned down.  Given the size of the building, it made for a pretty large club.  And finally, a portion of Fountain Square also became a club in the 80's and 90's that was pretty popular called the Heartthrob Cafe.  It was common for there to be a line waiting to get in.

• Like 4

For an interesting read/perspective of the history of Jefferson Street, read the article in the link below from the Jefferson Street United Merchants Partnership (J.U.M.P.) website.  it is a short history of Jefferson Street from its start as a footpath to today.  I remember my grandparents and parents talking about a lot of the items mentioned.  My grandparents home was lost in the I-40 expansion.  Their home was in what is now the vast I-40 interchange just beyond the bridge that goes over I-40 near Mt. Zion Baptist Church and Mary's BBQ Pit.  They attended Mt. Zion and could would walk the few blocks to get there every Sunday until they had to relocate to East Nashville.

Jefferson Street History - Footpath to Today

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It was called the Hungry Fisherman.  I................Nice building, hope they kept it nice on the inside.  It had very expensive commissioned art that I wonder if it is still there or did Nortel move it elsewhere.

One piece of art that Nortel had was a sculpture my Dad did that won an award and was purchased by Nortel. I hope it is in a good place.

• Like 2

The backstage area, fireworks launching zone, and 150' tower for the music note drop are in place for the New Year's Eve Celebration at Bicentennial Mall.  The base for the stage is in place, and all of that scaffolding should rise starting tomorrow.  The two main music headliners will be Styx around 9:30 PM and Keith Urban around 11:00 PM. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/12/21/nashville-new-years-eve-what-you-need-know/95421622/?hootPostID=6511e611db13fd50680a58143e07733a

Bicentennial Mall New Years set up 1, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

Bicentennial Mall New Years set up 2, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

• Like 1

With all that been "going down" (occurring) internationally, I'm becoming more at one in concurring with the decision w/r/2 security concerns, compared to the more popular sprawl along LoBro and its "tributaries".  I totally agree that the confinement and removal from "ancillary" entertainment dives and the much-proven festive-conducive venue of Broadway seems likely to be counter-productive to inducing attendance.  Lower Broadway may not have become a Time Square or a North Michigan Ave (Chicago), but celebration along it has become an icon and a pinnacle (for lack of better term choice) of symbolism representing quintessential Nashville, particularly in proximity with the Cumberland River.

I as well have reservations on the "efficacy" of the decision to relocate the bash, and the effectiveness of security benefits likely will be academic at best, since we hope that nothing becomes "eventful" to the extent of testing that challenge.

Edited by rookzie

4 hours ago, rookzie said:

With all that been "going down" (occurring) internationally, I'm becoming more at one in concurring with the decision w/r/2 security concerns, compared to the more popular sprawl along LoBro and its "tributaries".  I totally agree that the confinement and removal from "ancillary" entertainment dives and the much-proven festive-conducive venue of Broadway seems likely to be counter-productive inducing attendance.  Lower Broadway may not have become a Time Square or a North Michigan Ave (Chicago), but celebration along it has become an icon and a pinnacle (for lack of better term choice) of symbolism representing quintessential Nashville, particularly in proximity with the Cumberland River.

I as well have reservations on the "efficacy" of the decision to relocate the bash, and the effectiveness of security benefits likely will be academic at best, since we hope that nothing becomes "eventful" to the extent of testing that challenge.

How will this removal deal with such issues as providing enough restroom facilities, let alone convenience for folks to purchase adult beverages and food/snacks ?

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

So...what will the NYE celebrations be like at Bicentennial Mall if it rains, like it's supposed to?  Will it become a muddy mosh-pit of humanity?  At least LoBro is all paved.

It might be muddy, but I doubt there will be enough humanity to make a mosh pit.