Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

58 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I think the Music City Center Roundabout is going to be a pulse of downtown activity in the next decade.

Sounds excellent.

With any luck, it'll also become slightly more pedestrian-friendly. Given its shape, a game of roulette comes to mind...

• Like 1

The crosswalks in the roundabout need to be lit and raised ... there will be lots of issues once the 2 hotels are built and the pedestrian bridge to the gulch is completed.

18 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

The crosswalks in the roundabout need to be lit and raised ... there will be lots of issues once the 2 hotels are built and the pedestrian bridge to the gulch is completed.

13 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

The Russian variety?

Now, don't get me wrong: I think roundabouts are the single best thing that could ever happen to an intersection when it comes to vehicular traffic throughput. My personality is one that naturally abhors waste/inefficiency and all the time spent idling at a red light drives me absolutely bonkers. However, it's plain to see that care must be taken at a roundabout to make it pedestrian-friendly as it does not have the natural breaks in traffic that are a byproduct of red lights.

I found this surprisingly interesting research paper from the Netherlands discussing design changes to roundabouts that could dramatically increase pedestrian/cyclist safety. My fellow nerds of the group may find it to be stimulating reading material. Surprisingly, Nashville has already implemented some of the findings in roundabouts such as the one at KVB & 8th, but the pedestrian safety elements are notably absent.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

From today's Nashville Post:

CarQuest Auto Parts has vacated the Gulch building located at 777 Eighth Ave. S., (SW corner of 8th and Division, with I-40/65 just to the south) the latest move in the property’s looming change of ownership hands and eventual expected redevelopment.

Phoenix-based Alliance Residential Co. has had the property under contract for about one year. The company, which currently is developing Broadstone 8th South, is reportedly wanting to construct a multi-story apartment building on the site which fronts Division Street and straddles the inner-interstate loop.

The new CarQuest began operations on Feb. 22 and has a South Nashville address of 505 Ligon Drive.

Alliance officials could not be reached for comment as to a closing date.

Rumors are that this will be at least an 8-story apartment building.  It certainly holds potential to be even taller, seeing that there are several 20-38-story tall Gulch projects being considered just a few blocks to the west, and the proposed 23-story Crescendo condo tower a block to the east.

Carquest Lot at 8th and Division.png

Bongo Java sells it's coffee production facility at SW corner of 9th Ave. South and Gleaves St. for $3.15 million (a 400+% profit from when they bought it 7 yard ago).  New owners want to convert the 11,600 sq. ft. space into restaurant(s)/entertainment space.  Bongo's roasting operations may relocate to Mark Deutchmann's Herron Drive redevelopment northeast of the Fairgrounds. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/bongo-java-sells-gulch-site-pursues-new-home-for.html

601 9th Ave. South.png

Bongo.png

• Like 2

So I am told by a good friend and developer in Middle Tennessee that the residential building boom there is not even in full mode yet. He said the mortgage rates were a bit of a speed bump and they still have issues with FinReg, but demand is greater now than this time last year. Likewise, new building permits are at a decade high, and they are not meeting demand. Gotta say I don't think I have seen another city where the boom is happening in all sectors of the city. Case in point... http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/09/aerial-development-eyes-350-residences-west-trinity-lane/81531498/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

So I am told by a good friend and developer in Middle Tennessee that the residential building boom there is not even in full mode yet. He said the mortgage rates were a bit of a speed bump and they still have issues with FinReg, but demand is greater now than this time last year. Likewise, new building permits are at a decade high, and they are not meeting demand. Gotta say I don't think I have seen another city where the boom is happening in all sectors of the city. Case in point... http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/09/aerial-development-eyes-350-residences-west-trinity-lane/81531498/

Are you referring to the single family market and not the multi family market?

I think both... to be fair, I didn't break it into the two segments... he did not either.  I have noticed the projects you and others have pointed out for multi-family that did not get financing.  I believe that's done on a very micro level... as I recall seeing several large apartment projects under construction in the suburbs.  

6 hours ago, claya91 said:

You could see it from the Oxblue Camera. Looks like they contained it pretty quickly. Go to the frame @ 5:53pm

http://oxblue.com/open/MDHA/ParkingGarage

Edit: LOL sort of looks like 2 port-a-johns from the previous frame. Someone must have dropped a bomb before they clocked out!

At 5:38pm, you can barely see a little flame that appears to be coming out of the back of the left port-a-john.  At 5:53, it's an all-out blaze.  WTH?!  Can you catch a toilet's chemicals on fire by throwing in a cigarette or something?  (btw...I notice a guy standing beside the john at 4:26pm.)

I have a friend who works at the FDIC who says that they are telling banks to slow down on luxury multi family stuff and encouraging more affordable multi family.

And just to add to everything.. northwest of 65 in North Nashville, things are exploding. One block on Delta behind the convent now has permits pulled and work having started on 6, with at least four more that should begin in the next 3 weeks. Throughout the rest of the neighborhood, there are at least 20 others that are somewhere between permit pulled and almost completed and all seem to be selling between 180-210 a foot. Unbelievable.

Nudie's Honky Tonk will be the name of the new 3-story bar/club on Broadway that will be run by the folks who have the Johnny Cash Museum around the corner.  To be located in the former Lawrence Record Shop building at 409 Broadway.  Over $10 million being put into the retrofit.  Pretty cool history behind the moniker and theme of the restaurant.

All of these unique joints are going to help make Nashville even MORE of a destination city.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/03/11/nudies-honky-tonk-coming-lower-broadway/81649046/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

Found this on another site which shows some perspectives for heights of various buildings proposed and under construction.

imageproxy (2).jpg

Looks like the only ones we're not sure about happening is the Buckingham Gulch building and 5th/Broad (and still waiting on confirmation of what JWM's final product will be).