Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I was very unfortunate to have made a wrong turn and ended up on lower Broadway last Saturday night. It was, by far, the loudest downtown I think I have ever been in. It was awful. The noise level was unbearable. I don't see how people can enjoy music that loud. The bars, with live bands, had their doors and windows open and the bands were competing with each other. I don't see how people are moving down there. It's horrible and not to mention the lack of diversity. Probably one to the most segregated down towns I think I've ever been in. Where's the diversity?

I am glad someone else voices the noise level concerns and the diversity concerns.  It is loud and much of the public likes that on broadway.  But my concern is there are no rules enforced on the noise level.  There are rules even on broadway and second avenue about noise levels yet there is no enforcement. Example on second ave North you are not allowed to have speakers on the front facade blasting loud music.  Yet it is happening all over the street- if one complains to police there is no enforcement.  The concept of some noise and music is ok but there are no limits and some bar owners can go to the extreme.  

In terms of diversity it would be nice to have more of it.  There is some retail, some residential on upper floors, and a few small hotels proposed.  It would be nice to have more diversity

Edited by Nashvilletitans

She makes a great point. It's really gross down there...

No significant pedestrian space with hordes of people packed into the tiny sidewalks, not to mention the overabundance of panhandlers and buskers. Every single floor of every single venue has open windows or a balcony with a different band playing just inside at a volume that would make Eddie Van Halen plug his ears. All of this spills out into the street and it all sounds like every bad country radio station thrown into a blender and force-fed to you.

It's very quickly beginning to feel like a bad rendition of Bourbon Street... You know, except this one with bad music, smelly people, six lanes of traffic running down the middle and no room to breathe, plus a general lack of any sort of unique character whatsoever.

I could conceivably stomach the whole thing if it was all like 2nd Avenue, but last time I walked through Broadway several weeks ago I couldn't wait to get out.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

No significant pedestrian space with hordes of people packed into the tiny sidewalks, not to mention the overabundance of panhandlers and buskers. Every single floor of every single venue has open windows or a balcony with a different band playing just inside at a volume that would make Eddie Van Halen plug his ears. All of this spills out into the street and it all sounds like every bad country radio station thrown into a blender and force-fed to you.

It's very quickly beginning to feel like a bad rendition of Bourbon Street... You know, except this one with bad music, smelly people, six lanes of traffic running down the middle and no room to breathe, plus a general lack of any sort of unique character whatsoever.

I could conceivably stomach the whole thing if it was all like 2nd Avenue, but last time I walked through Broadway several weeks ago I couldn't wait to get out.

The unfortunate component to this is that they make a lot of money. example one of the noisiest of them all down there is honky tonk central. it iis usually packed and overflowing off the balconies- tourist must love this.  it is doing so well it seems that the owner paid about 8 million dollars and bought the trail west then tore it down and now is going to bulld another building.  They publicly say is a steak house but I worry about honky tonk central II in the future of that site.  The proposed new building looks very much like there first building which also is not complying architecturally broadway guidelines. It seems these noisy drunken buildings make a lot of money

Agree with both of your statements.    The scene on Lower Broad is not everyone's cup of tea.    But it is a huge tourist draw.   You'd be surprised at how many professionals who come to town for business ask us to take them down there.    They've heard about it and when we go they seem to have a great time, can't stop talking about it afterwards.     It's because, as you say, very few other places have anything like it.           

Agreed.  This area is for the tourists who love to stay downtown at all of these new hotels and walk to the big party.  

• Like 1

Agree with both of your statements.    The scene on Lower Broad is not everyone's cup of tea.    But it is a huge tourist draw.   You'd be surprised at how many professionals who come to town for business ask us to take them down there.    They've heard about it and when we go they seem to have a great time, can't stop talking about it afterwards.     It's because, as you say, very few other places have anything like it.           

I completely agree. That said, we must also figure out a way to make downtown more appealing to visitors and residents alike who have absolutely no interest in the country music tourism industry. Since downtown is the face of Nashville, I believe figuring this out will be a critical part of Nashville's evolution and our ability to lure people from all demographics that will make us a competitive Southern city for decades to come. I'm already seeing outsiders complain that Nashville doesn't have much appeal for anyone not into country music or White millennial hipster-types. Of course, I feel different as a native who has a must different perspective growing up inside this city, leaving for a bit, then watching it evolve. However, I fear that this is the perception of many who are not well-acquainted with Nashville. I also do not feel that the city is currently doing quite enough to project a more inclusive image since it's really just recently figured out how to truly use its heritage as an asset within this last decade or so.

We can keep Lower Broadway authentic, have a booming tourism industry and still have a downtown that more representative of all of Nashvillians. We're slowly seeing an evolution on Fifth Avenue and I'm very intrigued by the potential there and elsewhere once we reclaim some of the older buildings that have been under-utilized for decades. What I don't want to see happen is an obsessive focus on propelling the country music tourism industry downtown to the exclusion of everything else. I think we're already seeing that a bit on Second Avenue which feels more like an extension of Lower Broadway than it did a decade ago to me with less diversity of interests despite more activity. This is another reason why I think the redevelopment of the old Nashville convention center will be crucial and I have my fingers crossed it happens as planned.

• Like 3

We walk lower Broadway several times a week and it is like The National Enquirer and The Sun tabloids come to life! The best free show in Nashville. 
It is also an incredible draw for all facets of locals and visitors alike. There is room in Nashville for a more diverse offerings and, like titanhog, I hope the reworked CC and/or the Lifeboat developments cater to other musical and entertainment genres.

My how times have indeed changed! I used to bring up these issues about Lower Broadway and I ALWAYS got hammered and criticized by people defending Lower Broadway!

In any case with many areas like The Gulch, 12 South, 8th Avenue South, Vanderbilt, West End, Hillsboro Village, South Street, Division Street, East Nashville, Germantown and North Nashville, tourists and guests have other options and it's only an internet search away. I spent 7 years in the hotel business and I was always able to give people alternatives. The only problems I used to incur was from fellow hotel employees over the 7 years I was in the business that knew nothing about downtown let alone the areas where locals go. 

• Like 1

I completely agree. That said, we must also figure out a way to make downtown more appealing to visitors and residents alike who have absolutely no interest in the country music tourism industry. Since downtown is the face of Nashville, I believe figuring this out will be a critical part of Nashville's evolution and our ability to lure people from all demographics that will make us a competitive Southern city for decades to come. I'm already seeing outsiders complain that Nashville doesn't have much appeal for anyone not into country music or White millennial hipster-types. Of course, I feel different as a native who has a must different perspective growing up inside this city, leaving for a bit, then watching it evolve. However, I fear that this is the perception of many who are not well-acquainted with Nashville. I also do not feel that the city is currently doing quite enough to project a more inclusive image since it's really just recently figured out how to truly use its heritage as an asset within this last decade or so.

We can keep Lower Broadway authentic, have a booming tourism industry and still have a downtown that more representative of all of Nashvillians. We're slowly seeing an evolution on Fifth Avenue and I'm very intrigued by the potential there and elsewhere once we reclaim some of the older buildings that have been under-utilized for decades. What I don't want to see happen is an obsessive focus on propelling the country music tourism industry downtown to the exclusion of everything else. I think we're already seeing that a bit on Second Avenue which feels more like an extension of Lower Broadway than it did a decade ago to me with less diversity of interests despite more activity. This is another reason why I think the redevelopment of the old Nashville convention center will be crucial and I have my fingers crossed it happens as planned.

Agree.    This is why the proposed Museum of African American Music, as part of the old CC redevelopment, will be such a big deal for Nashville and downtown.    It will attract a more diverse type of visitor.    

I'll tell ya...I did the Uber thing for a few months...picking up people at the airport and almost always taking them downtown...and I have to say, a great deal of them were not country music fans.  They just wanted to experience our wild downtown.  I would drop them off in the middle of it and their eyes would be as big as saucers.  Plus...when hockey or football is going on, the crowd is a wonderful mix.  Remember also the Bridgestone Arena has a lot of concerts of every genre...so it's a little more diverse (at times).

Let's not forget that the "country music" part is only a few blocks.  There's still a lot of area to be had if someone wants to diversify that area...but it will not happen overnight...just like LoBro has taken decades to evolve into what it is now.

• Like 3

OMG!!!  Someone complains about Lower Broadway being too crowded?!?!? And people chime in support... absurd.  When I was at Vandy just a bit more than twenty years ago, it was dead... in fact (aside from a small sliver of 2nd) the whole downtown was dead after dark.  As to it being inhospitable to people who live there... people actually choose to live there.  What happened to the old saying "to each his own"?  Someone decries that now it's "Bourbon Street"... another "not diverse".  People don't know it's a tourist trap?  Geesh. here's some advice... DON'T GO THERE!  You can practice the immortal words of the late great Yogi Berra about not going there because it's always too crowded. How many other cities outside of New Orleans, Austin, NYC, Chicago, and a few others would love to have a bustling entertainment district and reap all the tax dollars that come with it?  Atlanta tried to build something like that in Underground... twice... and failed both times.  I suppose there was plenty of diversity there. And just to be clear, will whoever uses the term "diversity/diverse" please elaborate as to what you mean... like not enough Korean restaurants or Birkenstock stores?

Agree....it appears that the OP was referring to diverse peoples and a bit disgruntled....it as well appears this person went to a tourist trap full of honky tonks which is what LoBro is.....Nashville is a very diverse city, but no one goes to Lower Broadway for diverse attractions.

• Like 1

I will try not to step-in 'it', but diverse can also be problematic. As a downtown resident, I am not blind to the occasional bar fights, litter, and other socially maladjusted behaviors that occur on lower Broadway. I fully-support any piano bar, jazz club, lounge singer, indie-band, and, singer-songwriter venues that might pop-up as the new developments unfurl, but please keep the hip-hop and under 21 dance venues as far away from my door-step as possible.... most of those clubs attract an element that is TROUBLE ... be it white, black, or other.