Learning from Other Places

3 hours ago, kayman said:

Sorry, but lack of self-awareness is not one of my own shortcomings. Instead, I'm well aware of myself being observant, assertive, and just plain blunt about things.

Ironically, are you unaware of how your posting style makes you come across as a condescending, passive aggressive individual with several perspective blind spots of one's own personal bias? If you did, you already would know how ironic your quoted post & the prior post in this thread are microaggressions, & truly reveling  about your own posting behavior not mine...

I skimmed over that. 

I saw something about microagressions. I think you’re just going on about WMATA because you think I’m condescending or whatever. That’s lame if so. If you were genuine or came to the game before Randy Clarke, or really at least being genuine. That’d be interesting - there’d be a laundry list of grievances pre Randy. But you’re not being genuine, so. Post away about it if that makes you feel better. The collapsed I-95 bridge in Philadelphia was Re-built within a month and that only carried 160,000 vehicles a day… 

Though I’d recommend talking about DC’s rising crime rate surpassing Baltimore for the first time in 40 years while all other peer cities that had crime spikes have dramatically fallen YoY, DC was the only to actually further increase. The slight majority of city council is against the mayor (& Biden - which is important given congress and the president intervene) on their views of policing, crime penalties etc. They blame it on the federal judicial system for not prosecuting but a lot of people think it’s their penchant to decriminalize everything. Some of those laws were already reversed or tampered like the decriminalization of metro fare evasion that was absolutely insane the disrespect of people - it was hard to think it was a first world country. Finally law and order has returned on fare evaders.

That’s applicable to Charlotte. And it’s a much easier line of attack because it’s a real issue. Just saving yourself some trouble and putting this back on topic of learning from other places (though it’s more enjoyable when it skews towards positivity). It’s not really “urban development” related but. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Regional leaders have been working for months on how to help close Metro’s budget hole for next year and in subsequent years, but no specific plans have emerged. Metro also faced a funding shortage in 2020 and developed similar draconian service plans, but the federal government ultimately provided Metro and transit systems across the country with billions of dollars in pandemic-related financial aid.

COVID-19 relief funds (CARES, CRSSA, & ARP) are nearly depleted. 

Metro leaders said that next year, they want to move even more of that cost — $345 million, or almost half of what Metro spends annually on preventive maintenance — into the capital budget. The capital budget funds construction projects, major repairs and replacement vehicles. It receives separate funding, including contributions from the federal government. But such a shift could force Metro to cut back on some long-term projects, including the purchase of electric buses and new rail cars to replace those about 40 years old.

Service cuts could help Metro save up to $20 million. Cuts could include reducing peak rail service to every 20 minutes and every 30 minutes the rest of the day.

The Metrobus system could cut all routes except the busiest 37. It could shorten routes, remove routes near Metrorail lines and ask other bus agencies to pick up far-reaching routes — all of which could save up to $10 million annually.

Rail stations could close full-time or during weekends. Rail yards could be shuttered and Metro could consider closing two of its nine Metrobus garages. The agency could switch to running mostly four- or six-car trains instead of eight-car sets, which would decrease maintenance and energy costs, saving up to $8 million.

Metrorail could close an hour earlier on Friday and Saturday nights, netting $3 million in savings, budget officials said. Cutting the time Metro runs peak service during rush hour from four or five hours to two or three hours could result in up to $5 million in savings. Between $2 million and $7 million could be saved by reducing the number of trains leaving the downtown core, while lines could also be shortened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/10/24/metro-budget-service-stations/

Although the next fiscal year budget isn't to be finalized until April, WMATA oversight board has until January per union agreement to confirm if there will be worker layoffs related to possible service reductions. 

This is all around bad. I don't want to see such a large regional service being  severely cut, but it is looking likely. The likely solution would be for the states of Maryland and Virginia along with the US Government and the District government itself will have to funnel more funding to close this budget funding gap.

https://transitcenter.org/on-the-brink-will-wmatas-progress-be-erased-by-2024/

Basically, the progress with service reliability for transit-dependent users and federally-mandated maintenance to prevent additional derailments would be stalled or reversed.

Edited by kayman
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, kayman said:

Regional leaders have been working for months on how to help close Metro’s budget hole for next year and in subsequent years, but no specific plans have emerged. Metro also faced a funding shortage in 2020 and developed similar draconian service plans, but the federal government ultimately provided Metro and transit systems across the country with billions of dollars in pandemic-related financial aid.

COVID-19 relief funds (CARES, CRSSA, & ARP) are nearly depleted. 

Metro leaders said that next year, they want to move even more of that cost — $345 million, or almost half of what Metro spends annually on preventive maintenance — into the capital budget. The capital budget funds construction projects, major repairs and replacement vehicles. It receives separate funding, including contributions from the federal government. But such a shift could force Metro to cut back on some long-term projects, including the purchase of electric buses and new rail cars to replace those about 40 years old.

Service cuts could help Metro save up to $20 million. Cuts could include reducing peak rail service to every 20 minutes and every 30 minutes the rest of the day.

The Metrobus system could cut all routes except the busiest 37. It could shorten routes, remove routes near Metrorail lines and ask other bus agencies to pick up far-reaching routes — all of which could save up to $10 million annually.

Rail stations could close full-time or during weekends. Rail yards could be shuttered and Metro could consider closing two of its nine Metrobus garages. The agency could switch to running mostly four- or six-car trains instead of eight-car sets, which would decrease maintenance and energy costs, saving up to $8 million.

Metrorail could close an hour earlier on Friday and Saturday nights, netting $3 million in savings, budget officials said. Cutting the time Metro runs peak service during rush hour from four or five hours to two or three hours could result in up to $5 million in savings. Between $2 million and $7 million could be saved by reducing the number of trains leaving the downtown core, while lines could also be shortened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/10/24/metro-budget-service-stations/

Although the next fiscal year budget isn't to be finalized until April, WMATA oversight board has until January per union agreement to confirm if there will be worker layoffs related to possible service reductions. 

This is all around bad. I don't want to see such a large regional service being  severely cut, but it is looking likely. The likely solution would be for the states of Maryland and Virginia along with the US Government and the District government itself will have to funnel more funding to close this budget funding gap.

https://transitcenter.org/on-the-brink-will-wmatas-progress-be-erased-by-2024/

Basically, the progress with service reliability for transit-dependent users and federally-mandated maintenance to prevent additional derailments would be stalled or reversed.

You know there’s a DC section if you want to talk about it so much?  Not many contributors in that section so maybe you can make it popular. There’s so much development it’s a shame there’s no contributors other than the constant posting in the Charlotte section. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Haha 1

Houston the 5th largest metro in the country.  Lots of various good things Charlotte can learn from or replicate.  

first a new office tower even with a vacancy rate of 25% used to be the highest office vacancy in the land now San Fran is higher.   They still have a flight to quality this is a big law firm that anchored this tower. 

Ice rink (despite it being near 85 degrees this day) in their main downtown park Discovery Green which is operated by a non profit set up to do so.  (maybe we should do this in Charlotte for marquee parks?)  Plus a downtown dog park.  Making Main St through the heart of downtown less car friendly only 2 lanes  with the Metro rail running through it.   Most streets in downtown are 3-4 lanes.  And in some places they closed the street off for more on street dining. 

Historical renovations abound in downtown with old hotels into apartments, new hotels in older office buildings.   Despite the fact you can build anything everywhere they have a lot of historical buildings downtown.  

Take a look at their transit plans heavy on the Bus Rapid Transit but more rail lines too including a line to Hobby Airport.

METRONext Moving Forward Plan | ADA Accessible Public Transit | Houston, Texas (ridemetro.org)   check out their extensive plans.  Lots of BRT lots of HOV express lanes even more rail.  Voted approved for Harris County.  More park and ride.  More enhanced bus service on heavily used routes.  BRT to GW Bush Intercontinental Airport.    Connected the largest employment clusters.  

Conversion of old main post office downtown to Post Houston with food hall, offices and rooftop skygarden that includes a huge real food growing garden  (top floor of Legacy mega deck?) One of the largest rooftop farms in the country. 

Came across one of Houston's New Hope Housing affordable apartment developments in EaDo or east of downtown.    Lots of infill in this neighborhood very high density SF homes like detached townhomes plus apartments going up everywhere intown.  

Parks Houston has an extensive greenway system from downtown to east of downtown all the way west along Buffalo Bayou.  (not pictured is a huge skatepark with skyline views too very close to downtown)  Trails & Destinations – Buffalo Bayou Partnership   The greenway along the BB run for about 20-25 miles east to west.  

Wildlife tunnels at Memorial Park the largest urban park in the city and restoration of a coastal plain prairie.  

Of course Houston has multiple clusters of high rises and last photo in the distance is the Texas Medical Center area that is intensely dense and is served by their Metrorail. 

all those photos were taken on the same day it went from sunny to rainy to cloudy to sunny multiple times that day.  

20231026_092044.jpg

20231026_092156.jpg

20231026_092455.jpg

20231026_092521.jpg

20231026_093215.jpg

20231026_093856.jpg

20231026_094036.jpg

20231026_094223.jpg

20231026_094251.jpg

20231026_094407.jpg

20231026_094425.jpg

20231026_094620.jpg

20231026_103000 - Copy.jpg

20231026_103005 - Copy.jpg

20231026_103226.jpg

20231026_103618 - Copy.jpg

20231026_104213.jpg

20231026_104337.jpg

20231026_105516.jpg

20231026_105832.jpg

20231026_110223.jpg

20231026_110236.jpg

20231026_110301.jpg

20231026_121207.jpg

20231026_121315.jpg

20231026_121328.jpg

20231026_121940.jpg

20231026_122033.jpg

20231026_122104.jpg

20231026_123310.jpg

20231026_123404.jpg

20231026_124828.jpg

20231026_125030.jpg

20231026_130418.jpg

20231026_131215.jpg

20231026_131225.jpg

20231026_131759.jpg

20231026_135103.jpg

20231026_135245.jpg

20231026_140011.jpg

• Like 4

Baltimore making waves in the urban development rounds.

The redevelopment of Inner Harbor has been talked about for a while and new renderings dropped today. Lots of place making and Wes Moore is a huge champion of efforts to revitalize the harbor. This looks unique and great. 

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/economy/growth-development/harborplace-developer-design-plans-E2XBQBIQX5FGXPUHHO5P2OKVPU/?utm_campaign=TheBaltimoreBanner

IMG_2125.jpeg.adc467aedfec0aa3eb69d675e9755b9c.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg.49e7b48cd452824681101b05ec769f7d.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg.b82a0574813440b988896da2df46042b.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg.e351a00c9be4f056f78a713048d4327f.jpeg

IMG_2132.thumb.jpeg.afe550feed582ccabb8e03671c68814a.jpeg
Other exciting large developments are happening in Baltimore.  One of the more hopeful is the Baltimore Redline (light rail with large parts of it being underground) 

IMG_2131.avi

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Baltimore making waves in the urban development rounds.

The redevelopment of Inner Harbor has been talked about for a while and new renderings dropped today. Lots of place making and Wes Moore is a huge champion of efforts to revitalize the harbor. This looks unique and great. 

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/economy/growth-development/harborplace-developer-design-plans-E2XBQBIQX5FGXPUHHO5P2OKVPU/?utm_campaign=TheBaltimoreBanner

IMG_2125.jpeg.adc467aedfec0aa3eb69d675e9755b9c.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg.49e7b48cd452824681101b05ec769f7d.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg.b82a0574813440b988896da2df46042b.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg.e351a00c9be4f056f78a713048d4327f.jpeg

IMG_2132.thumb.jpeg.afe550feed582ccabb8e03671c68814a.jpeg
Other exciting large developments are happening in Baltimore.  One of the more hopeful is the Baltimore Redline (light rail with large parts of it being underground) 

IMG_2131.avi 136.83 kB · 2 downloads

Judging by the social media reactions, most Baltimorons hate it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonderful shots.  Again, where are the people?   

It's so weird to me to be living in London this year, riding the packed rail or busses into Central London and having to watch your step for the crowds, then seeing all these shots of American cities.  So desolate.  The zoning restrictions we put on our cities really did hurt us, don't you think?   Here, you have all kinds of street businesses along with housing.

One other comment. Seems like Dallas is missing an opportunity to use that rive more. Is it navigatable?

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Wonderful shots.  Again, where are the people?   

It's so weird to me to be living in London this year, riding the packed rail or busses into Central London and having to watch your step for the crowds, then seeing all these shots of American cities.  So desolate.  The zoning restrictions we put on our cities really did hurt us, don't you think?   Here, you have all kinds of street businesses along with housing.

One other comment. Seems like Dallas is missing an opportunity to use that rive more. Is it navigatable?

this was a cold rainy Sunday afternoon and mid day Monday.  HOwever I tried at all cost to not take photos of people so theres that.  This was a really cold day for Austin on Monday wind blowing mid 40s thats winter in Texas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How much of the growth in Austin is attributable to the tech industry? Are there other sectors contributing to the job growth in Austin? What would the effects be in Austin if the tech industry had a downturn? I don't know much about Austin but my perception is heavily skewed towards tech. I would guess some governmental as well. Energy? Oil? I know I've heard a lot about Oracle, Dell, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. there.

8 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

How much of the growth in Austin is attributable to the tech industry? Are there other sectors contributing to the job growth in Austin? What would the effects be in Austin if the tech industry had a downturn? I don't know much about Austin but my perception is heavily skewed towards tech. I would guess some governmental as well. Energy? Oil? I know I've heard a lot about Oracle, Dell, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. there.

not much energy at all their only oil and gas firm bought by Houston based company.  Lots of tech, state government, UT employs a lot, but lots of advanced manufacturing like Tesla, Samsung, and lots of smaller chip companies.  Apple has like 10K employees there and is still growing there.  Google Facebook. Homeaway Indeed.com and lots of tech companies have huge operations there.  It is still growing in jobs but lots of manufacturing jobs in the surrounding counties now.   As the most expensive market in Texas it is still a lot cheaper than San Fran, Silicon Valley, Seattle and the quality of life is good. 

Here is their list of major employers but the Federal Govt. employs a lot more there than here in Charlotte.  I send my taxes sometimes to Austin. 

Major Employers | Austin Chamber of Commerce

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I wish Charlotte could pull off the residential on the same scale as Austin. Having a massive state university within blocks of downtown helps!

Yes it does but these high rises south of the Capitol closer to the river are very expensive mainly for the tech people who work downtown or  those who want an urban lifestyle. The college oriented apartments are mostly north of the Capitol closer to campus.  Like I said we need more housing uptown.  And these vast undeveloped tracts we have by a couple of owners are stymieing that effort. I walked all over downtown Austin and there is nearly an apartment or hotel tower on every block.  Their office towers are sprinkled in with them.  Having the mothership of Whole Foods has helped them greatly over the years but there are  apartment towers 10-15 blocks away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last set of my photos from a city that has been reborn that being Birmingham.  UAB like UNC Charlotte is fairly young and it is located just blocks from downtown B-ham.  Plus it has a medical school and medical center.  In between downtown B-ham and the UAB campus is an area that looks just like Southend.  Lots of new apartments, Regions Field home of the B-ham Barons team and new park Railroad Park.  From what I saw B-ham kept most of their historical buildings and continues to reuse them.  Lots of apartment conversions, a food hall and apartments in one, hotels in others.  The newer larger towers are separated somewhat by a couple of blocks from the more historic Heaviest Corner on Earth.  This was my first visit in 20 years downtown and I was impressed.   Saw at least 2 current historical renovations and the Alabama Theater is open and in use.  (someday soon our Carolina Theater will be too) 

The Magic City is back and no longer a big steel and iron producing center their largest employer in now UAB Medical center.  Birmingham was about the same size as Charlotte back in the 1960s but then we took off like a rocket.  

If you are interested in seeing other photos from my trip visit the UP sites of Mobile, Houston, Corpus Christi, Austin, VIcksburg, and of course Birmingham.   Liked the historical markers and murals all over downtown too. Birmingham is back! 

20231101_120647.jpg

20231101_120900.jpg

20231101_120922.jpg

20231101_121102.jpg

20231101_121131.jpg

20231101_121156.jpg

20231101_121207.jpg

20231101_121237.jpg

20231101_121433.jpg

20231101_121734.jpg

20231101_121917.jpg

20231101_125112.jpg

20231101_125526.jpg

20231101_130134.jpg

20231101_130350.jpg

20231101_130414.jpg

20231101_131347.jpg

20231101_131356.jpg

20231101_131410.jpg

20231101_131431.jpg

20231101_131844.jpg

20231101_132104.jpg

20231101_132211.jpg

20231101_132328.jpg

20231101_132550.jpg

20231101_132610.jpg

20231101_132953.jpg

20231101_133052.jpg

20231101_133055.jpg

20231101_133434.jpg

20231101_133452.jpg

20231101_133457.jpg

20231101_133501.jpg

20231101_133537.jpg

20231101_133543.jpg

20231101_133759.jpg

20231101_133906.jpg

20231101_134401.jpg

20231101_140358.jpg

20231101_141523.jpg

20231101_141533.jpg

20231101_141711.jpg

• Like 4

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/grand-montreal/2023-11-04/l-autoroute-bonaventure-deviendra-boulevard.php?oeid=006a9858c170911bf9f7d6227b828ab8e76cfdb72dc79e0fc346224092cf4421

This should open with option to translate to English.

Speaking of river/highway, Montréal will restructure a riverside highway to become a boulevard and then repurpose the land as a riverfront pleasure area, bike paths, pedestrian paths. If I read this correctly the federal government of Canada has responsibility for bridges (most) in Montréal and this will become a renewal portion of that project. Some years in the future as the design is starting now. From LaPresse the major French language paper in the city. (I read 'em all)

edit: typo

Historic perspective: The Victoria Bridge, which is the near bridge in the photo, is from 1859 and was a rail bridge connecting Montréal island for the first time to the south shore and the rest of North America. An immense endeavo(u)r.

A bridge at Québec City was not complete until 1919. Construction on that bridge failed spectacularly twice with many lives lost. QC remained stranded from the rest of North America until that time setting back their development. Bridges are colossally expensive but can change the life and fortunes of a region, for good or ill  (when they are delayed or fail).

Edited by videtur quam contuor

If Savannah can do this why can't Charlotte duplicate something like this?  as for land plenty of underused city and county owned land around town. 

Tiny home project aimed at helping homeless veterans completed (wtoc.com)

older but more in depth story about this tiny home village

It Takes a Village | Savannah Magazine

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

I just learned how to do the google street view time things today so. I wanted to talk a little about the Union Market district in DC. 

It’s pretty much this area:

IMG_2392.thumb.jpeg.bbb22f7f15d450a6eafbcf378c4f2925.jpeg

It’s home to the zip code with the most apartment units U/C in the country.

Between 2018 & 2022, it added over 7,000 new apartments completions. For context uptown added a little over 2,000 and has 9,000 units in total. The zip code is a bit more inclusive than union market (and bleeds into NoMa which the whole area is referred to as NoMa but a vast bulk is concentrated in this area) 

There’s still a ton of buildings in the pipeline and over 2,000 units underway. 

It really, really reminds me of SouthEnd and Sort of optimist park. It’s crazy because when I moved to DC in 2017, Union Market “District” wasn’t even worth being called a District to me. It was… nothing. Literally, I drove through and thought… industrial wasteland as far as the eye could see. Literally, it felt like a mistake to move to DC because it was the first area I had to go to for a uhaul. 

Since then it has crazily blossomed into one of the most impressive urban neighborhoods, bustling, great retail, amazing food scene, tons of entertainment and just a superb, large area.

Literally just reminds me of all the potential SouthEnd has right here:

IMG_2397.thumb.jpeg.406b0b30131a10dc0148d0e406112d25.jpeg

Below are a few before/after from 2017-2023 of parts of Union Market. The street views don’t show a lot of people but pretty much all hours of the day it’s jammed with people

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1