Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

1 minute ago, Norf Native said:

Ok, now I remember.  The city rejected the first proposal because they didn’t think it was suitable correct?  I never saw what is being proposed for the site now.  

I believe the project next to IKEA was rejected due to lack of a tree buffer along the lake. I don’t think it’s ever come back up. 

The Poplar Hall project did demo recently. Not sure if that means construction will start soon. 

Lake Taylor Pointe was approved by planning - full rezoning with council approval. Very suburban project. 

Any news on the Barry Robinson project? I believe it was continued? Planning Commission seemed to be pushing for more density with potential for light rail along Kempsville. 

If it's where I'm thinking, those renderings do not seem suitable for that location. I would've gone with more height, but y'all know how I feel about taller buildings in Hampton Roads lol...

The design isn't terrible given that's a more suburban part of town. But it looks like something I'd see in Hickory or Grassfield.

• Like 2

Councilwoman Andria McClellan's been pretty vocal on Facebook about Hampton Roads Ventures investing more outside of Hampton Roads, as well as the fact that they keep coming to the city for more money. Hopefully this leads to change and more bigger developments locally.

https://www.facebook.com/andriamcclellanVA/posts/pfbid02V5VCCxdGbaxwdagL8GBqDMphgy9WQP1VBSoRNFUiPfP6s5GKUTQMiK9obP4T5Xskl

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.46.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.47.16 PM.png

Edited by BFG
Left off attachments
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey guys, so I fond somthing pretty interesting about how other cities view us. There is a city in North Carolina called Greensboro and they are going through a building boom of their own. We constantly judge and sometimes berate our city on certain things. While we may not be totally wrong I found it interesting that residents in smaller or likesized cities such as GreensBoro actully look up to Norfolk as a example for city planning and Downtown/urban landscape. (Screen Shot taken from diffrent forum.) 

image.thumb.png.a88542a2c27e7d1f58875515f3e6a1d5.png

• Like 4

On 5/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, NFKjeff said:

Neither, Lake Taylor Pointe is being built just off Kempsville Rd.  by the Interstate.  If you are driving VB Blvd. towards Norfolk and take a right on Kempsville Rd. it is on the right just after you drive under 64.

thats where the old haunted house was out...most people wont know what i'm talking about

On 5/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, mintscraft56 said:

Hey guys, so I fond somthing pretty interesting about how other cities view us. There is a city in North Carolina called Greensboro and they are going through a building boom of their own. We constantly judge and sometimes berate our city on certain things. While we may not be totally wrong I found it interesting that residents in smaller or likesized cities such as GreensBoro actully look up to Norfolk as a example for city planning and Downtown/urban landscape. (Screen Shot taken from diffrent forum.) 

image.thumb.png.a88542a2c27e7d1f58875515f3e6a1d5.png

True. I went to Maryland for work this week and when I told the hotel manager where I lived, she told me Virginia Beach is one of her favorite vacation spots. We do have a lot to offer, even if we don’t always think so. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know why, but this picture is really symbolic to me. 3-1.jpg?w=900

And yes, The Sprit of Norfolk is Considered a total loss. Basically the boat way of saying your vehicle is totaled. 

Unfortunately no word from the company yet about if the ship can be replaced. They are having "talks" but im not calling that a promise to replace it....yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we really just a annoying fly to Richmond? For a city 100 miles away, I guess they just dont understand the support we need for 7 independent cities and a 1.7million people in population. 
image.thumb.png.fab82c865c9aa1fadb9d3242d808dcd9.png

Of course in terms of Airports we should not forget, Williamsburg/Newport news International also helps the area

image.thumb.png.81d74a4a172c1161627fef4329d141be.png

I know my reaction to this is a little much, but Norfolk is a city I very much love and im just asking questions for it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Are we really just a annoying fly to Richmond? For a city 100 miles away, I guess they just dont understand the support we need for 7 independent cities and a 1.7million people in population. 

Of course in terms of Airports we should not forget, Williamsburg/Newport news International also helps the area

I know my reaction to this is a little much, but Norfolk is a city I very much love and im just asking questions for it.

I find that folks from Richmond can have an inflated sense of ego, I wouldn't pay much mind to them. ORF is a great airport and is making major improvements seeing how we both got money from the federal government for facilities improvements.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

I don't know why they feel that way when, last I checked, more people from this area go to RVA for flights because it's cheaper or more convenient at times and they outdid us in passenger traffic.

I could see how they might see us as competition because it's redundant to have the same routes at two airports 90 miles apart, but I wouldn't lose sleep. 

Richmond should really look more to Raleigh as competition…and inspiration. Because Raleigh is grinding them into dust. 

And no, I don’t want to hear a single word from any Richmond forum member. I’m just stating objective fact.  Take your own advice and  refrain from caring about what others think of you. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

The VPA has reported a record breaking year for FY22, in part due to the supply chain break down that's been occurring.  This led to cargo initially intended for the West Coast be diverted to the East. Touting the investments made over the last few years that helped to the 14.5% increase in cargo transported through the port. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-nw-port-record-breaking-year-0714-20220714-ny5u2uidefbjhpxo6lmyynbrey-story.html

The Port is and will continue to be a big economic engine for the region. Now it needs to be used to lure in the companies that can use it. Further growing the port and the region as a whole.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1