Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Awarding the Florida Black History museum to Eatonville over St. Augustine should be a no brainer.  Never underestimate those Tallahassee politicians though…

Eatonville closes gap in rankings to host Florida’s Black history museum

I don't know who the finalists are, but, I would rank Daytona over Eatonville simply because of the history with M. M. Bethune, Jackie Robinson, and of course, BCC, and Daytona's history of having hosted BCR all those years and it's history of having black mayor's. Eatonville is a "nothing" compared to Daytona in this respect. In fact, I would award it to Daytona outright.  Even over Tallahassee with FAMU there. More black history in Daytona with investment and relevance than anywhere else in the state, especially compared to Eatonville. IMHO...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I don't know who the finalists are, but, I would rank Daytona over Eatonville simply because of the history with M. M. Bethune, Jackie Robinson, and of course, BCC, and Daytona's history of having hosted BCR all those years and it's history of having black mayor's. Eatonville is a "nothing" compared to Daytona in this respect. In fact, I would award it to Daytona outright.  Even over Tallahassee with FAMU there. More black history in Daytona with investment and relevance than anywhere else in the state, especially compared to Eatonville. IMHO...

Besides, Eatonville is just too rinky-dink to really draw the most potential visitors anyway.

DB has so many other attractions that draw visitors, some of whom will do an unplanned visit to the museum as a side trip. 

Also, a significant portion of those visitors in DB would be white, which is the group I would think they'd most like to reach.

With a majority of black visitors, which is what they'd get in Eatonville, they'd just be preaching to the choir.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 1:01 PM, JFW657 said:

Besides, Eatonville is just too rinky-dink to really draw the most potential visitors anyway.

DB has so many other attractions that draw visitors, some of whom will do an unplanned visit to the museum as a side trip. 

Also, a significant portion of those visitors in DB would be white, which is the group I would think they'd most like to reach.

With a majority of black visitors, which is what they'd get in Eatonville, they'd just be preaching to the choir.  

I do believe Eatonville got screwed with FDOT not giving them an interchange.  But, yes, good points; you can "spread the word" to a wider audience in DB...

Not only is Jacksonville is the epicenter of Florida's Black community, its where the Black national anthem was written, and has the largest concentration of Gullah Geechee people in the country. Seems strange it wouldn't be at the top of the list. 
Wherever it ends up, I hope they build a giant statue of John Horse who's probably the most badass Floridian to have ever existed, I'm surprised they haven't made a movie about him yet.

3 hours ago, cubanbread said:

Not only is Jacksonville is the epicenter of Florida's Black community, its where the Black national anthem was written, and has the largest concentration of Gullah Geechee people in the country. Seems strange it wouldn't be at the top of the list. 
Wherever it ends up, I hope they build a giant statue of John Horse who's probably the most badass Floridian to have ever existed, I'm surprised they haven't made a movie about him yet.

where is Daytona on that list?  Maybe Miami gets it b/c of Liberty City and big bass music from the late '80's.

5 hours ago, cubanbread said:

Wow I did not know that! That's so cool.  I played "Lift Every Voice and Sing" every February. 

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

where is Daytona on that list?  Maybe Miami gets it b/c of Liberty City and big bass music from the late '80's.

Sadly Liberty City is being bulldozed as Downtown Miami is sinking into the ocean. 

On 4/24/2024 at 4:17 PM, RedStar25 said:

Wow I did not know that! That's so cool.  I played "Lift Every Voice and Sing" every February. 

Sadly Liberty City is being bulldozed as Downtown Miami is sinking into the ocean. 

yes, I can tell from all of the multi-billion dollars in downtown development and investment still going on, especially at PortMiami with the new cruise terminals uc.