Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

^^ I could see the city making Mallard a north-bound One Way street for that one block, perhaps. That would stop any left turns into Mallard from Main.  I can't imagine the city would close that block of Main St.  I know I wouldn't support it.  

Why wouldn’t you support this?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, Dino Hassiotis said:

If Pendleton St has a road diet and traffic backs up I guarantee that people will use every parallel road to access 123 when coming from Augusta St and Vardy Including coming down  a freshly paved Perry Ave. 

Traffic leaving town on Augusta that didn't already get on Academy while downtown will take 81 or 29 during peak times or stay on Augusta depending on where they are going.  The subset of commuters not covered by the two previous use cases is negligible.   Traffic heading downtown from Augusta should already either stay on Augusta or take Church.    Pendleton adding an extra minute to any commute between Augusta and Academy only affects a very very small subset of folks and they should just leave a minute earlier.    City density designed around cars is designed to fail.   

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, Dino Hassiotis said:

You don't believe that the city scraped Perry Av. to the roadbed and repaved it for the exclusive use of the people living on Perry do you?

That is some conspiracy level thinking there.  Do you think this every time you see a road being paved?  Perhaps Perry was repaved because of access to that side of the West Village, parking, and the Poe West development and the increased traffic associated (or wishful thinking that will be associated) with it.  The entire length of Perry was repaved as well, not just the part that runs parallel to Pendleton so that seems to point to that it was just its turn.  Sometimes the simplest solution is the more likely one.  I like a good conspiracy too, but relax.   All of this is going to be great for business where you are.  You might have to add an extra 90 seconds to your commute but from what I remember, you like to bike, so even better you will get safer designated bike lanes.  If you rent, yes your lease is going up the next time you have to negotiate and if you dont have anything in it that would prevent them from giving you first rights at renewing at their new rates,  you do run the risk of being kicked out.  If you own or have that clause, you are great. 

Edited by gvegascple

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

That is some conspiracy level thinking there.  Do you think this every time you see a road being paved?  Perhaps Perry was repaved because of access to that side of the West Village, parking, and the Poe West development and the increased traffic associated (or wishful thinking that will be associated) with it.  The entire length of Perry was repaved as well, not just the part that runs parallel to Pendleton so that seems to point to that it was just its turn.  Sometimes the simplest solution is the more likely one.  I like a good conspiracy too, but relax.   All of this is going to be great for business where you are.  You might have to add an extra 90 seconds to your commute but from what I remember, you like to bike, so even better you will get safer designated bike lanes.  If you rent, yes your lease is going up the next time you have to negotiate and if you dont have anything in it that would prevent them from giving you first rights at renewing at their new rates,  you do run the risk of being kicked out.  If you own or have that clause, you are great. 

That's the funny thing. He IS the landlord. He gets to decide what he charges his tenant.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is the city would not have spent the resources to update Perry Avenue without the expectation of increased traffic.If a road diet is implemented on Pendleton St, Perry and adjacent residential streets will see more traffic during rush hour.Why push overflow traffic unto residential streets when you already have a four lane street ready to accommodate future growth and traffic?

2 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

What I'm saying is the city would not have spent the resources to update Perry Avenue without the expectation of increased traffic.If a road diet is implemented on Pendleton St, Perry and adjacent residential streets will see more traffic during rush hour.Why push overflow traffic unto residential streets when you already have a four lane street ready to accommodate future growth and traffic?

There is no reason to say that. Roads have to be repaved from time to time. They also added in speed bumps. That would discourage cut through traffic, not encourage it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Perry was full of potholes.  It was due, it has stop signs and speed bumps now as well.  Hardly the high speed alternative to a road that already has four under utilized lanes.  I have to admit, I do kind of like where you mind goes, until its ruled out, it cant be ruled out right?  Seriously, any kind of road diet is probably years off unless bundled with a large scale project.  It will be beautiful when done and you will be able to raise prices and make lots of $$$.  Man I wish I owned the spot my business is in.  Didn't have the foresight or cash at the time that you had.  Well done.

• 5 months later...

713 Pendleton Street sold for $1,440,000 on 6/28/22.  Office building on .33 acre parcel.   This property sold for $315k on 9/23/16.  More proof that the RDV rezoning of this corridor has IMPROVED property values and not the opposite as some on this thread claimed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Brass Bee Salon is moving into a converted house a few doors down (903 Pendleton St) from OJs August 1st.    That's two pretty big salons on the street now.  I would consider these anchor stores in a  way as they will bring a lot of new people to this spot that might not ordinarily go.  This is great news for businesses.  Wonder if there is any timeline on making changes to the street and lanes themselves, this area looks way too run down now for what's going on over there.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with the street as it is.Four lanes is what will be needed and warranted in the future to maintain free traffic flow with increased use.Two lanes would just increase backups during rush hour and cause delays,accidents, etc.This is not a well thought out plan that provides for the best use of this corridor between the Baseball park and the Village at West end.

• Confused 2

On 7/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, vicupstate said:

713 Pendleton Street sold for $1,440,000 on 6/28/22.  Office building on .33 acre parcel.   This property sold for $315k on 9/23/16.  More proof that the RDV rezoning of this corridor has IMPROVED property values and not the opposite as some on this thread claimed. 

This is not proof of RDV zoning increasing property values in  general.It may show interest in an area that is growing and currently available.I do not see RDV helping the people selling the carwash or any other building that is not currently in compliance with the restrictive and unacceptable zoning that RDV imposes.

11 minutes ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

This is not proof of RDV zoning increasing property values in  general.It may show interest in an area that is growing and currently available.I do not see RDV helping the people selling the carwash or any other building that is not currently in compliance with the restrictive and unacceptable zoning that RDV imposes.

you sued the city over RDV? right? How'd the trial go?

9 minutes ago, transplant08 said:

you sued the city over RDV? right? How'd the trial go?

Lawsuit still in progress.More depositions coming including the former head of the West end homeowners association,the former chairman of the commission that said RDV allows for cherry picking,and the former editor of the Greenville Journal who had a visit from the mayor shortly after the article about our opposition to RDV was printed.

27 minutes ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

I think it is pretty strong evidence that it is not HURTING property values in any way.  That car wash was under contract at one time and without knowing their asking price and any other potential issues (environmental, soil, etc.) its impossible to know why it hasn't sold yet. They may simply be asking far more than market.  

42 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I think it is pretty strong evidence that it is not HURTING property values in any way.  That car wash was under contract at one time and without knowing their asking price and any other potential issues (environmental, soil, etc.) its impossible to know why it hasn't sold yet. They may simply be asking far more than market.  

I think it shows an interest in Pendleton St, which there should be.RDV restrictions limit interest in properties that are not allowed under it's draconian restrictions.Why not have a level playing field where best use is dictated by the market,not by limiting the players?