Orlando City Place

Jaybee

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point I'm not going to get too excited. First of all it's kind out out of context for it's surroundings. Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a Vegas mega-project? That main building is too damn wide.

The other thing I think that keeps me reserved about this is the suspicion that this has a snowball's chance in hell of ever materializing.

And by the way UPSDAN, that's blasphemy offering to trade Tradition Towers for this!

I definitely agree as far as sacrificing Tradition Towers goes - can't imagine that. Architecturally, it's charm and elegance can't compete with anything - and those are two things Orlando (or any city, really) could use more of.

And after sleeping on it, I do sort of agree with the Vegas-vibe. This thing is really just jaw-droppingly massive.

I'm not sure it'll clean up the area, but it creates a giant wall almost like a facade hiding what's behind it. Intentional? No.

Facade? Yes. Hiding something? Yes. Intentional? Yes ... It's the parking garage. There is nothing wrong with intentionally hiding a parking garage behind a facade. It looks great and having those residents there will kickstart the area if it gets built.

Also, who said it was "intended to help paramore" ... It may help, but it is "intended" to make the developer money.

I really like this project. It has height, nice architecture at the street level, and glass up to the sky. Please build this. I think some credibility has to be given to this project since the Lexington remodel is already underway and selling well. Will all these buildings get built at the same time? I'd be surprised..., but what a project if it all comes to fruition.

The whole notion behind open spaces works great in areas like Manhatten where there is no space. Orlando has all kinds of space. You can go up into the SunTrust or the courthouse and look around and there is green everywhere.

City Place is think and dense.

I just showed a friend of mine that thinks large buildings are a bad thing because they may displace the current poor residents and he even thought CP is cool.

At the CityPlace website there is one shot that shows what looks like a cobblestone alley with shops and lighted by gaslights. At first I thought it was an interior shot but after closer look, it might be alleys wedged between the cluster of buildings.

Someone had posted the link earlier but I can't find it now.

I have no idea, but I imagine that they will try to create some type of urban retail/restaurant district. Since there doesn't appear to be large open spaces in this development, it could very well appear to look something like what is pictured above.

We'll this little corridor is supposed to be a shopping plaza underneath the massive podium under the south tower. It's incredible any one would snap a photo of a mall in anytown USA, apply a photoshop watercolor effect; and viola!, there's a concept rendering for retail!

The new model are actually smaller towers (square footage and height-wise from previous proposals, in the range of 1200 units, ground floor retail, etc...

We'll this little corridor is supposed to be a shopping plaza underneath the massive podium under the south tower. It's incredible any one would snap a photo of a mall in anytown USA, apply a photoshop watercolor effect; and viola!, there's a concept rendering for retail!

The new model are actually smaller towers (square footage and height-wise from previous proposals, in the range of 1200 units, ground floor retail, etc...

i was gonna say that macys looks to be in the background.

Jaybee -

Is this to suggest that this would not be a new tallest ?

You're right about the Photoshopping of a mall pic, but I do like the implied intent, that being a siginificant retail portion. From the looks of that picture, it seems that portion of the development would be open-air - it that an accurate reading?

I think that's Monty's, not Macy's.

Where the hell was I last week when this gem was posted.

This deal is akin to the Civic Opera House in Chitown. Its orientation is that of an armchair, with the chair back facing the Loop; in protest b/c of something re the developer and the City (1920's or '30's).

Here, the chair back is shunning Parramore. I like it.

But why in God's name would they keep the Lexington and that other ugly bldg. in the middle of the whole thing. Why, God, why?

Really ? Doubts about the developer ? Or just the market ?

I often wonder about how we describe this market? It seems to me that the current wave of DT condo buyers are being wooed by what they currently see downtown (which is comparitively little), or by a vision of what they think DT will be like in 5 years or so.

But I'm guessing that a majority of people aren't able to make that leap of faith. But if in 5 years, after the Esplanade, PBLT and many of the other projects with retail and restaurants get built, I think that there will be a whole new "market" for people who want that lifestyle but weren't able to "buy into a vision." I think selling a visiion and selling a tangible product are two different things ... thus it will be a different market.

Archived