Orlando City Place

Jaybee

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why?

I think it's pretty obvious: with the exception of Miami there is simply no other Florida city that continues to propose new projects like Olrando (downtown or otherwise). All of the homeboyism in the world can't change that. It used to be that Orlando was definetly at a disadvantage size wise. Clearly there was a certain amount of growth necessary to "catch up". We have now eclipsed that. Regardless of whether or not I think that all of these projects will get built, one thing is for sure: No other city (again, exception Miami) contintues to propose large developments in the CBD like Orlando. Enthusiast or not, there is an unmistakable vibe/energy that one feels in downtown Orlando. The residents are truly on-board, if you will, with the pulse of development. It just seems like other cities are still tring to sell the viability of 24 hour centers.

My $.02

The residents are truly on-board, if you will, with the pulse of development. It just seems like other cities are still tring to sell the viability of 24 hour centers.

I agree with your overall feeling of Orlando.

This town is still a little behind with the liquor laws, though. Examples: Can't buy liquor while church service is still going on on Sundays. No serving alcohol after 2am any day.

The Globe on Wall Street started out running 24 hours and tried selling the all-night, Orlando-can-keep-it-running-cuz-there-is-a-need theme back in 2000. Didn't last very long. This town, and most of us still call it a town, is just starting to feel like a small city in the core. Orlando's only 24 hour zone is Kirkman/International. There is way more going on over there after 12midnight then there is downtown after 5pm. Let me say that I think this is changing as the condos are going in and as people are moving into downtown.

Let me say that I think this is changing as the condos are going in and as people are moving into downtown.

And -- one hopes!!! -- this will continue to change! The liquor laws are an embarrassment. To not be able to order a dumb little $2 mimosa before 11-whatever a.m. on Sunday at brunch ... ?! :shades:

Not sure if any of this has been posted yet, but they are looking to start construction in April on the health club and spa and the parking garage should begin later this year, and a 40 story condominium tower is scheduled for June '07.

It also states that City Place is also competing for tenants directly with Premiere Trade Plaza and PBLT.

GlobeSt.com UPDATE: Orlando CityPlace Developers Expand $500M Project

Globest.com also said "CityPlace will be a 46-story, 460-foot tall residential tower that would be the tallest in Central Florida and one of the tallest in Florida." I would consider using the phrase "one of the tallest" if the building was to be one of the top 5-10 tallest in Florida, but it's not even close. Not saying that some of their statements are untrue, but that site has a tendency to cover stories prematurely without many facts and make up for that by inserting gratuitous hyperbole to fill out the article. I stopped following Globest.com a while back when I came to realize that their articles seem to be based off of stories written by the Sentinel or OBJ, far better sources for investigative journalism.

"will be competing for tenants" and "is also competing for tenants" are two different things. One refers to it actually being an issue right now, the other simply implies the obvious. I guarantee you the tenants that will move to PBL&T are not considering a move across the highway as a viable option, currently.

I think it's pretty obvious: with the exception of Miami there is simply no other Florida city that continues to propose new projects like Olrando (downtown or otherwise). All of the homeboyism in the world can't change that. It used to be that Orlando was definetly at a disadvantage size wise. Clearly there was a certain amount of growth necessary to "catch up". We have now eclipsed that. Regardless of whether or not I think that all of these projects will get built, one thing is for sure: No other city (again, exception Miami) contintues to propose large developments in the CBD like Orlando. Enthusiast or not, there is an unmistakable vibe/energy that one feels in downtown Orlando. The residents are truly on-board, if you will, with the pulse of development. It just seems like other cities are still tring to sell the viability of 24 hour centers.

My $.02

I agree with you. There are 2 cities in Florida that, if we didn't have, Florida just wouldn't be Florida anymore. Those cities are Miami and Orlando. I don't mean to step on any toes, and discredit the Tampa Bay area and Jacksonville, but I am speaking strictly as a previous "outsider" who moved here awhile back. And I, along with countless other people, think the same way. When people think of Florida, they tend to think of these 2 cities. I think this works in our favor, especially when it comes to people moving here from the Northeast, or wherever they may come from. Which of course translates directly to the downtown development.

Again, not to discredit the other cities. I personally think Jacksonville is one of Florida's best kept secrets.

I agree with your overall feeling of Orlando.

This town is still a little behind with the liquor laws, though. Examples: Can't buy liquor while church service is still going on on Sundays. No serving alcohol after 2am any day.

The Globe on Wall Street started out running 24 hours and tried selling the all-night, Orlando-can-keep-it-running-cuz-there-is-a-need theme back in 2000. Didn't last very long. This town, and most of us still call it a town, is just starting to feel like a small city in the core. Orlando's only 24 hour zone is Kirkman/International. There is way more going on over there after 12midnight then there is downtown after 5pm. Let me say that I think this is changing as the condos are going in and as people are moving into downtown.

No your right. I wasn't really referring to a 24 hour center in the terms of simply drinking. I was talking about 24 in the sense of people living in the CBD/Uptown. But I agree, the drinking laws are a bit absurd. As much as I would not want to see it happen, I think that the patrons of downtown could support drinking all night. Look at Tampa. The Hard Rock Hotel is just as busy at 5 AM as it is at 11PM.

Yeah I've noticed a few contradictions in it as well.

Most notably 3rd paragraph states a 46-story, 460' building will be built, and in paragraph 5 it says it will be a 40-story condo building on a 10-story parking garage. Making it 50-stories.

Next time I'll promise to proof read a little better before posting.

For all my silly comments before, I really do like City Place. I have a feeling it is going to get built. For every good reason why it won't be built, there are more reasons why it will be. I like a healthy dose of skepticism, but there are too many examples of human endeavors in history where people say "It can't be done!" - no sooner do the words escape their lips than BAM!! It's done.

CityMark could be a case in point. On the attractions thread, bic has stated that demolition has already begun on the old Delta Resort. Granted, that doesn't guarantee that it's going to get built, but we have to remember there are people who really care, that WANT these projects to happen, whose jobs may depend upon it. Not just a couple of months ago, one of the gentlemen responsible for getting CityMark built posted a very long reply on this site about how CityMark WAS going to get built, he was going to see to that. My first response was "That's what HE says." And we haven't heard anything since, but now it looks like this thing is going to get built. This totally blows me away and reminds me that we do have some people here that are making things happen.

I have been all too guilty of remaining in the old mindset, the "pre-boom" Orlando mindset where I resign myself to the "fact" that nothing more will ever get built. But there have been some posts recently that are unfairly skeptical towards a number of buildings proposed in the Orlando metro area. We need to have some faith in our own community here. Success is contagious. But so is a mindset of failure.

We all need to remember that we live in a different Orlando now. It's about to come into its own.

Where's all the negativity coming from? If even a quarter of the proposed projects are built this would be the biggest building boom Orlando has ever seen. I believe a bare minimum of half the proposed projects will get built, and likely 75% or more. Sure, a few may run into problems with financing, or lack of demand, but these projects are all credible. Some may drag out longer than expected. Very few construction projects are ever finished on the first projected completion date. Rich and intelligent investors and developers don't waste their time and spend money buying property and getting conceptuals for nothing.

But there have been some posts recently that are unfairly skeptical towards a number of buildings proposed in the Orlando metro area. We need to have some faith in our own community here. Success is contagious. But so is a mindset of failure.

Unfairly skeptical, meaning that these people dont know what they are talking about? Impying that someones opinion is "unfairly skeptical" without knowing or acknowledging their source of infomation sounds to me like a blanket statement.

You know, I appreciate some doses of realism once in awhile. I get as excited about all these proposals as the next guy but it seems all we need on here is for someone to pay for a concept rendering and the assumption is that's a done deal.

Let's keep the healthy discussion going. I love to hear it from both camps, why it will get built and why it won't.

Unfairly skeptical, meaning that these people dont know what they are talking about? Impying that someones opinion is "unfairly skeptical" without knowing or acknowledging their source of infomation sounds to me like a blanket statement.

I never said that they don't know what they are talking about. In all honesty I'm just an armchair internet forumer with no connections to the people who do know, except this forum. I have a pretty good idea that there are a number of forumers here who have very good information on these projects - you being one of them, I think.

My intention was not to offend anyone. I was merely trying to add a positive note to some posts that weren't so positive on that particular day. That's all.

To summarize my take on City Place:

If Orlando can find 7,000 condo-buyers, then I don't see why it can't find 8,000.

If PBLT can find an anchor, then I don't see why City Place can't find an anchor.

If Cameron Kuhn can build a big project, then I don't see why these guys can't.

And if darn near everyone else gets incentives, then I don't see why these guys can't, especially if the project is envisioned as a lichpin for development in Parramore.

Oh, and if other folks can negotiate the minefield of construction costs and labor shortages, then I don't see where these guys are especially disadvantaged in that regard.

I do not think Orlando can find 7,000 condo buyer, let alone 8,000. There are not that many anchors in Orlando to relocate to City PLace (but I hope I am wrong). PBLT has the perfect tenant for their site. And was considered ever since the site was bought. Also the timing for this project puts it at a disadvantage. Other projects are furthur along that would compete with this project. Long term (20 yrs) it may be built. But not now.

I do not think Orlando can find 7,000 condo buyer, let alone 8,000. There are not that many anchors in Orlando to relocate to City PLace (but I hope I am wrong). PBLT has the perfect tenant for their site. And was considered ever since the site was bought. Also the timing for this project puts it at a disadvantage. Other projects are furthur along that would compete with this project. Long term (20 yrs) it may be built. But not now.

Some are glum about demand. Some are very sanguine. I suppose we'll know a little bit more about how Orlando's going to shake out over the next several months. Key year. I'm taking the position that this is an a-historic cycle, with highrise, downtown living being the way of the near/intermediate/distant future.

I hope that is true. Hopefully these "affordable" condos will usher in a new wave of more "affordable" projects. If this goes up and is successful other developers will want a piece of the "affordable" condo market. Something like this is what's needed to keep the momentum in our downtown real estate market going. I'm getting more and more excited about this one.

Archived