The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

1 hour ago, Luvemtall said:

Question for Midtenn1 or anyone who might know. Does an interstate always need to pass below a DD interchange, or can it be reversed and the interstate be above ? I ask because TDOT will be starting the widening of I-40 in Lebanon from South Hartmann to pass the RT-70/ Watertown exit which is also the exit for the now Wilson County/ Tennessee State Fair . It’s been mentioned by the Mayor that the State intends to totally revamp that exit for better flow for all the fair traffic. Also as a side note, if Storyville Gardens ever materializes their preferred site is also that exit, just wondering how they would be thinking to fix such a busy road 

There is a DD interchange in St. Charles, MO under I-70. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m going to comment and ask some questions, because I’ve experienced Smart Corridors in other States and I’m not trying to single anyone out. But what exactly did TDOT spend 46.5 million dollars on, if all it seems to give us is some extra speed limit signs and cameras? I don’t think when your sitting idle in a traffic jam, you need more signs telling you your not moving. Yesterday afternoon there was a miles long backup on I-24 due to a semi going off the interstate and into a deep ditch. Obviously that was going to take time to clear , should not the Smart System diverted the traffic on to Murfreesboro Road and control the signals on that road to keep the traffic flowing? Thats how I’ve witnessed Smart Corridors in other States, and what was communicated that we were supposed to be getting. But true to the form that seems to be the norm around here, it’s a failure. Again I’m asking as gentle and respectful as I can, but sometimes there’s tough things to discuss.

I've thought the same thing on multiple occasions going through Nashville.  Just like so many of our "bike lanes" that are actually just paintings of a bike on an existing shoulder, these "smart corridors" just seem to be window dressing to a certain extent... it's like they spent JUST enough money to make it appear on the surface as if they invested in a functional smart corridor system and are being proactive about situation, but really, in the end, they just spent money on some new flashy electronic signs that ultimately don't do much.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As of right now, it just seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors. Again I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, well maybe the big chiefs (coughing) up in the State House. The majority of legislators, try to appease their backwoods constituents by passing legislation to “ punish “ the big cities and keep them in check. Not thinking that it inadvertently hurts all of Tennessee, Nashville,Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga are the economic engines that drive this state. The infrastructure to support the economy of Tennessee is sadly lacking and the tremendous potential of this new found growth will come to a halt if they continue on this path of yesterdays thinking .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Let's just hope tdot doesn't waste on stupid stuff like building a 6 lane highway between Rutledge and Bean Station. Hopefully they use it wisely where it's needed. Where traffic actually is like the stretch of i75 between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Why isn't that 3 lanes both ways yet? Jeez! It's terrible.

Hahaha fair point!  Yeah I'm not sure how the projects that got funding were determined, but I think they were decided beforehand how it was to be allotted, presumably with the state's input (not sure if that'd be a good thing or not lol.)

16 hours ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Let's just hope tdot doesn't waste on stupid stuff like building a 6 lane highway between Rutledge and Bean Station. Hopefully they use it wisely where it's needed. Where traffic actually is like the stretch of i75 between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Why isn't that 3 lanes both ways yet? Jeez! It's terrible.

Because I 81 exists and no one lives in those god forsaken hollows except my kin folk I thankfully left behind along with the real hillbillies up in SW Va.

• Haha 4