The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Breaking News from Baltimore. 

Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge collapses with spanned the Patapsco River by large container ship. 🤯🤯🤯🤯

IMG_3528.jpeg

IMG_3525.png

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3526.jpeg

Do u remember tug boat hit bridge on Cumberland River downtown in Nashville few years ago? 😬

Edited by Sean blackdog
  • Sad 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 7:06 AM, markhollin said:

Jan 6, 1989, I-65/440 interchange: 

Jan 6, 1989, I-65:440 interchange .png

When I was little my family would comw from west TN to visit my grandparents in Brentwood. These bright yellow bridges were my sign that we were almost there. 

Also that I could pee soon, because my dad would refuse to stop the entire 3 hour drive. 

• Haha 4

Mayor Freddie O'Connell's vision for better transit in Nashville includes purchasing land for housing or other community benefits near some of the dozen new transit centers proposed in the "Choose How You Move" plan.

Beyond creating "mobility hubs" with amenities for bus users, pedestrians, cyclists and others, the transit centers would open up possibilities for Metro to secure about 26 acres of adjacent land and partner with developers to provide housing or other community spaces with easy access to the bus system. That's a scenario favored by federal housing grants, as housing and transit are typically a household's largest expenses.

"Living close to transit allows households to save on the cost of transportation," O'Connell said Friday. "Already today, Nashville households close to transit lines spend $200 less per year. So when we talk about building transit centers and park and ride facilities, we're not just talking about transportation infrastructure, we're talking about affordable housing, too."

"Choose How You Move" includes $130 million to construct 12 new transit centers of varying sizes, including centers in the following areas:

SoBro

East Bank

Antioch

West Nashville

Madison

Nolensville

Donelson

TSU

Skyline

Vanderbilt Center

Bellevue

Airport Station upgrades

In most cases, specific locations have yet to be selected, though public land is available for centers envisioned on the East Bank, South Broadway and at the Southeast Community Center in Antioch.

The transit improvement program estimates $33.6 million could be used for 10 additional land acquisitions to support "transit-connected community needs such as thoughtfully designed affordable housing."

The plan would seek to purchase land near the following transit centers:

SoBro

East Bank

Antioch

West Nashville

TSU

Skyline

Madison

Donelson

Nolensville

Bellevue

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2024/04/22/nashville-mayor-freddie-oconnell-transit-includes-buying-land-housing-parks/73388162007/

• Like 4

On 4/22/2024 at 7:40 AM, smeagolsfree said:

The question needs to be asked and that is, is a transit center a park and ride center as well???? We sort of touched on this at the UP meet-up and if this is not the case then it will be a bit of a short coming of the program.

This map from page 52 seems to suggest that a subset of the transit centers would be park and rides. There are also park and rides that they aren't calling transit centers for whatever reason.

image.png.8f1a44e85d401d3977db0c30c72bff88.png

For the one marked basically at the intersection of Charlotte and White Bridge/Briley (closest to my home), I really hope they take over the former White Castle empty lot for the transit center/park and ride. Back in the old proposal, I had imagined that would also be where the light rail station would've been.

I am not sure what the dark red vs. light red park and ride difference is supposed to be. I'm with @Bos2Nash that it makes little sense to have park and rides in downtown (2 are marked on this map).

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AsianintheNations said:

This map from page 52 seems to suggest that a subset of the transit centers would be park and rides. There are also park and rides that they aren't calling transit centers for whatever reason.

image.png.8f1a44e85d401d3977db0c30c72bff88.png

For the one marked basically at the intersection of Charlotte and White Bridge/Briley (closest to my home), I really hope they take over the former White Castle empty lot for the transit center/park and ride. Back in the old proposal, I had imagined that would also be where the light rail station would've been.

I wonder if the transit stations will include bus bays for transfers, etc while standard park and rides are just a bus stop with a parking lot 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

I wonder if the transit stations will include bus bays for transfers, etc while standard park and rides are just a bus stop with a parking lot 

Makes sense. I guess it mostly makes sense to build transit centers when there's more than one bus line, while some park and rides can serve just one bus line.

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 1

If this is phase one let's say, what would you all think phase two would be of the transit plan? (OR) What would you want Phase two to look like or be?

I think this is a start for transit, but it is not a catch all or a full plan for Nashville. It touches on some areas of Nashville but not others.

So, what do you think or want?????

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

If this is phase one let's say, what would you all think phase two would be of the transit plan? (OR) What would you want Phase two to look like or be?

I think this is a start for transit, but it is not a catch all or a full plan for Nashville. It touches on some areas of Nashville but not others.

So, what do you think or want?????

I'd like to see the Charlotte line extend out to Nashville West, and a spur of BRT down White Bridge Road to the AJ Capital development/Hill Center. I'm sure the Woodmont neighborhood wouldn't like this, but it would be nice to extend the rapid line past Harding and connect in with Thompson Lane through to Murfreesboro Road.  I don't know if it would be possible to run dedicated lane BRT along 70S through Belle Meade or not, but that would be nice to give access to Bellevue. 

• Like 3

Full intercity connection for sure , including sidewalks and bike lanes throughout. But to further expand the true meaning of a complete Metropolitan Transit system, then I think it’s necessary to expand and extend into a regional network and connect with the ring communities. Only then can the true benefits of reduced traffic and congestion become a reality, don’t matter how much in city transit exist if you keep dumping tens of thousands of commuters into the mix. I know that a lot people have a hard time thinking outside of the Davidson County Line, but in reality Metro encompasses a broad swath of Counties that feed into the whole picture and a full regional economy depends on it . So it needs to include those municipalities and create a better solution to gridlock,then just adding more asphalt! If people are willing to pay for the use of Choice Lanes, they probably will pay for a fare to have the option to use a transit alternative.

• Like 2

Dropped the kiddos off at the in-laws today and driving back. Something that would help traffic A LOT is lights that are more reactive to traffic. I sat at multiple lights where the main road was backed up because the lights where cycling like there was actual cross traffic. 

Shorten those timings during rush hour or use cameras or in ground sensors. SOMETHING!

• Like 4