Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:26 PM, TheSutterKing said:

This whole thing has turned into a joke.

No its not.  Every single apartment dweller with kids under the age of 10 is going to be badgered to move into this thing, that's why.   If you're ever in the proximity of a little kid while you are anywhere within eyesight of this building, you will immediately understand all you need to know.  This building is like a lollipop coated in chocolate syrup and sprinkles. 

11 minutes ago, x99 said:

No its not.  Every single apartment dweller with kids under the age of 10 is going to be badgered to move into this thing, that's why.   If you're ever in the proximity of a little kid while you are anywhere within eyesight of this building, you will immediately understand all you need to know.  This building is like a lollipop coated in chocolate syrup and sprinkles. 

My kids make all my decisions for me

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ChevalierNoir said:

So the first guy to move in announced it on reddit and to date has got 125 comments in response, most of them snarky and a few pretty nit-picky about  the interior.

He's good-natured about  the comments so far.

REDDIT: i have moved into the castle

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2018 at 9:20 AM, walker said:

So the first guy to move in announced it on reddit and to date has got 125 comments in response, most of them snarky and a few pretty nit-picky about  the interior.

He's good-natured about  the comments so far.

REDDIT: i have moved into the castle

He sure is being a good sport about it, rolling with the good and the bad. Some of the comments are internet gold. 

• Like 1

ok those do look pretty bad, minus the appliances.  Everything looks very 90's and dated... that being said these look a little nicer than any apartment I was living in  in my 20's, but most of those were probably built in the 70's.  If I went to GVSU I would maybe consider living here if it were super cheap.

Any guess on the reasoning behind the interior designs?  I was expecting at least a little bit better.  I know it usually comes down to cost but is hardwood faux panelling really that more expensive than carpet?  Especially if you are deep cleaning it after every tenant.  I just hate carpet.

16 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

ok those do look pretty bad, minus the appliances.  Everything looks very 90's and dated... that being said these look a little nicer than any apartment I was living in  in my 20's, but most of those were probably built in the 70's.  If I went to GVSU I would maybe consider living here if it were super cheap.

Any guess on the reasoning behind the interior designs?  I was expecting at least a little bit better.  I know it usually comes down to cost but is hardwood faux panelling really that more expensive than carpet?  Especially if you are deep cleaning it after every tenant.  I just hate carpet.

It is a very odd choice of finishes that they chose. I haven't seen flat panel "wood finish" doors and dark wood trim in combination since the 70's.  And having drawer handles on the upper cabinets is....interesting. My guess is they just bought this stuff at huge discounts in massive quantities. But carpet is pretty typical in apartments. Even going to vinyl plank would usually be more expensive.

c02_mlive_castlegrand_castle_apartments_

f4b_mlive_castlegrand_castle_apartments_

• Like 1

Actually the flush hollow core door and oak trim and cabinet aesthetic (at least in the stain color we see here) is more of a late 80s early 90s look. They've modernized it a little with the shaker cabinet and tall base boards. I kind of think this had to have been a conscious decision on someone's part because the standard today of white painted HDF trim and 6 panel composite doors would have been less expensive. But as we've seen for this entire project, the Castle is the masterwork of someone who has anything but mainstream tastes.

And the grade of carpet that goes into rentals is much cheaper option than any other floor finish. And if a tenant destroys it, it's much easier to replace than any other floor. Plus it helps reduce noise transfer between units.

Edited by andrew.w

2 hours ago, andrew.w said:

Actually the flush hollow core door and oak trim and cabinet aesthetic (at least in the stain color we see here) is more of a late 80s early 90s look. They've modernized it a little with the shaker cabinet and tall base boards. I kind of think this had to have been a conscious decision on someone's part because the standard today of white painted HDF trim and 6 panel composite doors would have been less expensive. But as we've seen for this entire project, the Castle is the masterwork of someone who has anything but mainstream tastes.

And the grade of carpet that goes into rentals is much cheaper option than any other floor finish. And if a tenant destroys it, it's much easier to replace than any other floor. Plus it helps reduce noise transfer between units.

I think you need to re-up to Architectural Digest.  Apart from the cheap cabinets with a lack of crown and other high-end stuff (not expected in an apartment), it's pretty well on-trend.  White cabinets and trim had their day in the sun, but it's fading.  Thank goodness.   Granted, I'd still put them into a flip since 2005 is still fresh and new around here.  If that' s actual wood, it's a much better choice long-term than plastic doors and dollar store 3.25" colonial trim.

19 minutes ago, x99 said:

I think you need to re-up to Architectural Digest.  Apart from the cheap cabinets with a lack of crown and other high-end stuff (not expected in an apartment), it's pretty well on-trend.  White cabinets and trim had their day in the sun, but it's fading.  Thank goodness.   Granted, I'd still put them into a flip since 2005 is still fresh and new around here.  If that' s actual wood, it's a much better choice long-term than plastic doors and dollar store 3.25" colonial trim.

In the age of Joanna Gaines, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that thinks white cabinets is not currently in-style. Everything that is white with black and wood accents is currently in. Will it eventually fade away? Yes...But I wouldn't say it has started to fade quite yet. They're not for everyone, but I am seeing white and two toned cabinetry everywhere.

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

In the age of Joanna Gaines, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that thinks white cabinets is not currently in-style. Everything that is white with black and wood accents is currently in. Will it eventually fade away? Yes...But I wouldn't say it has started to fade quite yet. They're not for everyone, but I am seeing white and two toned cabinetry everywhere.

Exactly. The HGTV shows, Houzz and Pinterest set the tone now and white kitchens are still hot. Colored cabinets in blues and greens mixed in are too. New homes around WM are very heavy on white cabinets but they only make up about 5% or 10% of the local housing market. 

These apartments are way off the mark on pretty much anything and everything. Unless they're clairvoyent and can see into the future.

I haven't seen an Architectural Digest in eons. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Exactly. The HGTV shows, Houzz and Pinterest set the tone now and white kitchens are still hot. Colored cabinets in blues and greens mixed in are too. New homes around WM are very heavy on white cabinets but they only make up about 5% or 10% of the local housing market. 

These apartments are way off the mark on pretty much anything and everything. Unless they're clairvoyent and can see into the future.

I haven't seen an Architectural Digest in eons. :)

Yep. Those new homes may only account for 5-10% of the housing market, but they are essentially what many older home owners aspire to have in some form. I would say most kitchen renovations entail painting or replacing cabinets to make kitchens look like those popular kitchens that you see in those new homes.

When I look at the interior of these apartments, I see a standard suburban apartment complex - cheap fake honey oak trim, flat hallow core honey oak doors, laminate counters made to look like granite, and cheap appliances. The only plus is the cabinet material isn't cheap honey oak and the appliances are stainless as opposed to white or black plastic. Based on the interior itself, it's not worth the price tag for the rent. I would rather pay a little more to live downtown and have more premium materials in a more normal looking complex with a better view. 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Yep. Those new homes may only account for 5-10% of the housing market, but they are essentially what many older home owners aspire to have in some form. I would say most kitchen renovations entail painting or replacing cabinets to make kitchens look like those popular kitchens that you see in those new homes.

When I look at the interior of these apartments, I see a standard suburban apartment complex - cheap fake honey oak trim, flat hallow core honey oak doors, laminate counters made to look like granite, and cheap appliances. The only plus is the cabinet material isn't cheap honey oak and the appliances are stainless as opposed to white or black plastic. Based on the interior itself, it's not worth the price tag for the rent. I would rather pay a little more to live downtown and have more premium materials in a more normal looking complex with a better view. 

Those actually are granite counters, and they also have in-unit W/D which is a pretty big amenity.  And onsite parking.  The plumbing finishes and door hardware are contemporary.  Really, if the only change they made was white MDF trim (a cheap building material), I am guessing most would be singing a different tune about the aesthetic (the drawer handles on the upper cabinets is a curious choice though).  The views from the upper floors are going to be incredible judging by how visible it is from any SW facing window in a downtown mid-rise.  The amenities seem attractive (though the "lake access" is a bit of a stretch).   We will see how these rent, but I think so much of the hate is from bias against the overall concept.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRLaker said:

That's what a lot of people aspire to but it's certainly not what most existing homes look like. I go through A LOT of them (working in real estate). Changing out cabinets is really expensive for example, in the neighborhood of $10,000 - $15000 in many homes. Some people do paint wood cabinets white but the paint doesn't usually hold up very long. 

Anyway, moving on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

From Reddit... Looks like the basement of the church I grew up in in the early 90's or a Doctor's office off of East Beltline.

IFZmu8SFRBisMIB3SyqYolUAmi1A2NIe2eOmVStsTRo.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=591a3b37e3862bc1a10152377389f4145cc0f7bd

That's exactly what I texted my wife when I first saw this. It looks eerily like a church basement. 

Edited by GRLaker

29 minutes ago, crinzema said:

What I fear is that the exterior of Castle Apartments will always look unfinished because of the concrete exterior. Same kind of thing with 234 Market Apartments with the light brown masonry. To me, the masonry looks like wood and makes the building look permanently half complete.

I don't get the same feeling from 234 Market, but I agree. I'm not sure the concrete would ever "age". I nice whitewash over the entire surface may have "helped" (quotes intentional. ;)).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elcelc said:

Is that a typical residential corridor or is this a worst case shot meant to trigger the haters?  Possibly lower level office/maintenance/common area?  I recall them showing "flickering", candle-like sconces on the news, not this look at all.

Right. I thought they were going to have flickering "torches" for hallway lights.