Nashville Yards, 15 acres/4 million sq. ft./ $1 billion, Phase I: Grand Hyatt Hotel (25 stories), Phase II: Amazon (26 & 22 stories), Phase III: AEG District (4 K theater, 34 & 35 story apts); Phase IV: Pinnacle Tower (35 stories), Amazon 3 (43)

I really think it has to do with the lack of sophistication of the Country Music community. Many of these folks are not very cultured, so are not inclined to give to the fine arts or sponsor a world class sculpture garden here. Their idea of a sculpture garden would be of themselves and their buds, drinking Bud’s.

I really wish more of the big names in Country Music would sponsor more fine arts instead of the Honky Tonks on lower Broad and something more lasting.

There is a lot of money floating around this town and very little it seems goes to benefit the public as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yep, I'm going to have to agree with Titan here because the music industry was not involved in the selection of Stix, Ghost Ballet and that stuff around the Metro Courthouse.  I don't know if they were involved in the selection of Musica, but that one is the closest to Music Row. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Yep, I'm going to have to agree with Titan here because the music industry was not involved in the selection of Stix, Ghost Ballet and that stuff around the Metro Courthouse.  I don't know if they were involved in the selection of Musica, but that one is the closest to Music Row. 

We were the ones who laughed at Musica…because it really is a pretty lame sculpture.  However…if they would ever get the fountains, it would make it a lot better.

• Like 4

I know , I know I’m beating a old horse to death. But since it’s in this discussion, we need to do something and get rid of that awful stix !!!! 
a grand sculpture with fountains and  led lights will make more sense and fit better with the buildings about to rise around the circle. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Umm…I believe you are wrong about a lack of sophistication in the Country Music community.  Plus…they’re not necessarily the ones with the deepest pockets…nor are they the ones making decisions about art around town.  I doubt the lack of nice art around Nashville has very little at all to do with the Country Music industry.

The artists and performers are certainly sophisticated. In my experience the fans are the opposite. Not to speak for Smeagols but I’m guessing this is what he was getting at.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, samsonh said:

The artists and performers are certainly sophisticated. In my experience the fans are the opposite. Not to speak for Smeagols but I’m guessing this is what he was getting at.

I hope not…cause I’ve already gone over and beaten Ron up….and I don’t want it to be for nothing. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Sore subject, no doubt, for Nashvillians.  I mean, you guys have Stix and the Elvis statues.  I just don't get it... you have perhaps the most renown American sculptor living there and yet, you have nearly zilch in decent sculpture. One of your native sons Red Grooms couldn't even get a longterm position of prominence.  One of the most attractive (Battle of Nashville) is virtually hidden from public view.  I'll throw an attaboy to the Schermerhorn for some nice statuary around there and Musica, but that's thin gruel.  Even Chattanooga blows Nashville away. We have lots of sculptures around town, and even Montague (Sculpture) Park. 

I guess that's why all of those tourists are flocking to Chattanooga over Nashville, because of it's "World Class" public art.

Edited by Licec
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Sore subject, no doubt, for Nashvillians.  I mean, you guys have Stix and the Elvis statues.  I just don't get it... you have perhaps the most renown American sculptor living there and yet, you have nearly zilch in decent sculpture. One of your native sons Red Grooms couldn't even get a longterm position of prominence.  One of the most attractive (Battle of Nashville) is virtually hidden from public view.  I'll throw an attaboy to the Schermerhorn for some nice statuary around there and Musica, but that's thin gruel.  Even Chattanooga blows Nashville away. We have lots of sculptures around town, and even Montague (Sculpture) Park. 

6 minutes ago, Licec said:

I don't hear the residents of Nashville complaining about Nashville's public art. So it must not be as bad as the grouchos say. The only ones complaining about it are the usual lemon suckers on this forum.

I think the two figures in the fountain at Schermerhorn are our best. They have a beautiful flow from all angles. The large bronze in the War Memorial Building is nice. We have many people who aren't appreciative of the arts, but Nashville is a decent size town and there are quite a few who are. As for the Forrest sculpture (?), I was hoping the demonstrators would pull it down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

You think Kid Rock is sophisticated? Luke Combs?  I can give you a bunch more that are nothing but a bunch of good ole boys.

Sorry it is what it is. 

You made a sweeping statement about those in the country music industry not being sophisticated.  I’m in the country music industry.  So I guess I’m just an unsophisticated redneck to you, huh?  I’ve worked in the industry for decades now…and like any industry, there are people who are highly sophisticated and those who are not.  For you to make a sweeping statement like that and try to back it up with “Luke Combs” or just name-dropping some people you’ve heard of that you believe are unsophisticated doesn’t really make your point any less wrong.  I’m actually disappointed you doubled down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

You made a sweeping statement about those in the country music industry not being sophisticated.  I’m in the country music industry.  So I guess I’m just an unsophisticated redneck to you, huh?  I’ve worked in the industry for decades now…and like any industry, there are people who are highly sophisticated and those who are not.  For you to make a sweeping statement like that and try to back it up with “Luke Combs” or just name-dropping some people you’ve heard of that you believe are unsophisticated doesn’t really make your point any less wrong.  I’m actually disappointed you doubled down.

Wait! Don't you know? No name calling or insults are allowed here.

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

I hear what you're saying, Titanhog, but I don't think it's a particularly fair interpretation of the largely non-controversial point Smeags was trying to make (as I interpreted it, anyway).

If sophistication is defined as complexity, then 'three chords and the truth' is the opposite of sophisticated. In fact, it deliberately bucks the idea that complexity is required or even helpful in creating honest, meaningful music.

If sophistication is defined as worldliness and cultural breadth, then I think it's again fair to say that the cultural space in which country music operates is a fairly narrow band relative to the other major musical genres, and country music as a brand certainly doesn't try to sell itself as high art. Accessibility and a blue collar ethos are core to country music as opposed to exclusivity and jet-set appeal.

None of that means that there aren't tons of intelligent, sophisticated people involved in the country music industry or tons of  sophisticated and intelligent fans of country music. There are many of both and they exist all over the world. But to Smeagol's examples, there's a reason the Kid Rock wanted to put a 'Big Ass' in his honkey tonk branding, and there's not a whole lot of subtext or underlying sophistication to the longneck, ice cold beer that has never let Luke Combs down. 

Country music as a brand in general leans into the 'low brow' and provides a necessary counterbalance to artists/musicians who often take themselves too seriously. That's one of the things I love most about it.

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruraljuror said:

I hear what you're saying, Titanhog, but I don't think it's a particularly fair interpretation of the largely non-controversial point Smeags was trying to make (as I interpreted it, anyway).

If sophistication is defined as complexity, then 'three chords and the truth' is the opposite of sophisticated. In fact, it deliberately bucks the idea that complexity is required or even helpful in creating honest, meaningful music.

If sophistication is defined as worldliness and cultural breadth, then I think it's again fair to say that the cultural space in which country music operates is a fairly narrow band relative to the other major musical genres, and country music as a brand certainly doesn't try to sell itself as high art. Accessibility and a blue collar ethos are core to country music as opposed to exclusivity and jet-set appeal.

None of that means that there aren't tons of intelligent, sophisticated people involved in the country music industry or tons of  sophisticated and intelligent fans of country music. There are many of both and they exist all over the world. But to Smeagol's examples, there's a reason the Kid Rock wanted to put a 'Big Ass' in his honkey tonk branding, and there's not a whole lot of subtext or underlying sophistication to the longneck, ice cold beer that has never let Luke Combs down. 

Country music as a brand in general leans into the 'low brow' and provides a necessary counterbalance to artists/musicians who often take themselves too seriously. That's one of the things I love most about it.

Then he should have made that clear instead of talking about the sophistication of the country music community, which includes people from all walks of life.  It is stereotypical and insulting.