New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Can’t find the article today, but I read last night that the 820 Monroe building had been sold. Curious to see if it’s just an investment purchase, or if any changes are planned. 

Joe

With everything else closing, I certainly hope City Built doesn’t close as part of this sale. 

• 2 months later...

In the Wealthy St. thread, the statement of "that's the last of the warehouse space in GR" got me thinking about the industrial building on the 1300 block of north Monroe (in red). I feel like I heard from one of the Devries brothers (while planning an event at the water plant) -- that they had plans to turn it into housing.  Has anyone hear any concrete plans or heard any better rumors?  The parcel is registered to a FRANKLIN NORTH MONROE LLC so not sure it's even a Devries property 

Also, i got out for a ride on Sunny Sunday and noticed the Tillman's restaurant is gone!  Parcel is listed to a STEVEN BALK of Olive Shores, so prob related to Hansen Balk across the street.

Crossing my fingers for this underutilized area to be developed.  Especially as I think some of that grand river greenway money will finally connect the river trail that currently stops at Leonard, to the rest of Riverside park trail and the white pine.  It looks like they started clearing trees out already for the Riveredge trail.  Its supposed to go under Leonard to connect.  That'll be great!

image.png.cadca3de4492f521971dc84e9894718c.png

• Like 3

I think there's a preliminary rendering of the old Display Pak building on the forums somewhere. I know Franklin bought it, but I don't think they were in a rush to develop it (but it was residential).

I always wondered when they'd do something with the Tillman's building. Might be a good parcel to hold onto until they start working on the Grand River Greenway projects. 

Joe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think there's a preliminary rendering of the old Display Pak building on the forums somewhere. I know Franklin bought it, but I don't think they were in a rush to develop it (but it was residential).

I always wondered when they'd do something with the Tillman's building. Might be a good parcel to hold onto until they start working on the Grand River Greenway projects. 

Joe

I thought it went dormant and then was revived again recently? 

Oh yeah, here we go:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/117273-1340-monroe-apartments-or-commercial-renovation/#comment-1743162

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A bit outside of Monroe North. 44 unit apartment planned for an expanded building on Ann Street. I honestly can’t figure out where this is by their description. On Ann street, but south of the Radisson (and on the river). I’m confused, but glad they are adding density on that area (wherever it might be. LOL):

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/44-unit-riverfront-apartment-project-planned-north-of-downtown-grand-rapids

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

A bit outside of Monroe North. 44 unit apartment planned for an expanded building on Ann Street. I honestly can’t figure out where this is by their description. On Ann street, but south of the Radisson (and on the river). I’m confused, but glad they are adding density on that area (wherever it might be. LOL):

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/44-unit-riverfront-apartment-project-planned-north-of-downtown-grand-rapids

Here:

image.jpeg.de8dcb50905263ccff729ab72c4ee422.jpeg

• 1 month later...

NoodlePig soft opening on 10/31.

975 Ottawa is on the BZA docket to turn the former AutoDie / Centennial Club / Riverview Athletic building into a....self storage?! I think its not a terrible use of that space. it's been empty so long....and American's love their stuff, but if they move downtown they are going to have less space for stuff, so maybe a space for stuff downtown makes sense.

I worked there as a Health Club Attendant in the early 90s.  Cleaned the equipment and everything else, pool, etc.  My graduating class of 91 Creston Polar Bears had their "all nighter" there and I stashed booze in my janitor closets and we drank it on the roof that I had access to.  Good times.  I can see this won't be too hard to convert to storage space.  pretty wide open in there. Gym, Pool room, the offices next door where in former warehouse space where the douche owner of the fitness club would keep his classic cars, which he lost when he went to jail for tax fraud IIRC.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There an article on MIBiz.com about the sale of 820 Monroe. The put of state company bought the building and two adjacent parking lots in mid-December. Interesting quote:

”“With (Corewell Health’s) development to the south and the direction of that neighborhood, the buyer has plans at some point in the future to sort of reimagine how those surface lots are utilized that were part of sale,” said Matt Jones, managing director of Walker & Dunlop LLC, which served as the broker for the property sales.”. 

Future growth opportunities that would provide good infill for the area. 

Joe

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The Monroe/Ottawa/Coldbrook intersection is getting a roundabout. Seems like a really smart place to put one. I hope they do nice landscaping/etc as it’s kind of the gateway to north Monroe:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/03/grand-rapids-is-getting-another-roundabout-heres-where-and-when-its-coming.html

• Like 4

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The Monroe/Ottawa/Coldbrook intersection is getting a roundabout. Seems like a really smart place to put one. I hope they do nice landscaping/etc as it’s kind of the gateway to north Monroe:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/03/grand-rapids-is-getting-another-roundabout-heres-where-and-when-its-coming.html

I just wish they would put some sort of sculpture or statue in the middle for once, but I'm sure some manual insists on road signs being needed in abundance in the middle instead, and that the sight lines are 100% clear of "distractions".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I just wish they would put some sort of sculpture or statue in the middle for once, but I'm sure some manual insists on road signs being needed in abundance in the middle instead, and that the sight lines are 100% clear of "distractions".

I would think this is possible if they really wanted.  Google streetview isn't up to date, but here is a newish roundabout in Zeeland with a town sign and landscaping in the center.  It's tall enough that you cannot see over it.

image.thumb.png.3ee88acb4ae142561a1361737cea4cd3.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I live in the Shawmut Hills area, and there's a small traffic circle now on Collindale that was completed late last year.  It had so many tire tracks across it all winter, the city wound up putting those portable orange/white road blocks in the middle of it so people would see it.  One character even apparently launched off it in the middle of the night before they put up the barricade and careened into a pickup in one of the neighboring driveways...  All to say, what goes in the middle matters, apparently.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It's in the city, so they should be able to put a vertical element inside it if the city wants to. 

In townships, though, the County Road Commission prohibits anything larger or sturdier than shrubs in medians and roundabouts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

I live in the Shawmut Hills area, and there's a small traffic circle now on Collindale that was completed late last year.  It had so many tire tracks across it all winter, the city wound up putting those portable orange/white road blocks in the middle of it so people would see it.  One character even apparently launched off it in the middle of the night before they put up the barricade and careened into a pickup in one of the neighboring driveways...  All to say, what goes in the middle matters, apparently.

God bless the Westside ... I live by the traffic circle at LMD and Valley and there are always tire tracks across it every time it snows. People just don't understand how to use them; half the time people just sit there waiting and the other half of the time people just blow right through it. Unless they make it more substantial, I say get rid of it, it's not making anyone safer. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, joeDowntown said:

a brick surface will be used in the island as well as the four island separators, Crosswalks will go through the beginning  of each separator.