New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the red that extends from the outside to inside. I drove by the other day, and the entrance is really looking good. I'm not in love with the exterior (and it doesn't look like landscaping will help much as they don't have much space to work with), but the inside looked really nice (peaking through the windows). Not saying it's a bad edition to downtown. I was just expecting more interesting materials, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown GR Inc. continues to feature outdoor art installations that are a part of the city's ongoing "World of Winter" initiative. The "Impulse" art installation in Monroe North looks particularly awesome against the backdrop of new development - 

"The Singing Tree" - Canal Park, Monroe North Neighborhood -

2021_01_22_Grand%20Rapids_The%20Singing%

Source: LinkedIn | Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc.

"Impulse" - 555 Monroe, Monroe North Neighborhood -

2021_01_22_Grand%20Rapids_Impulse%201.jp

2021_01_22_Grand%20Rapids_Impulse%202.jp

2021_01_22_Grand%20Rapids_Impulse%203.jp

2021_01_22_Grand%20Rapids_Impulse%204.jp
Source: LinkedIn | Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As of around noon today, the bullet hole and subsequent spider cracking is still prominently displayed in the front window of Embassy Suites. If you can see the street level, you can see the shattered glass. This can't be good for business (I use that term in the context of the entire city). Do we have a shortage of plywood to board it up right now too?  What's the deal, it's been nine days.

Edited by JimiThing

10 hours ago, Allison Slater said:

Well, actually, there HAS been a wood shortage with prices of lumber like 4-5x what they usually are, so..

Stick lumber has come way down, but still high historically.

OSB is what is still astronomically high due to resin shortages. It would cost a fortune to board up downtown like they did after the riots. Probably 3 -4x more expensive now. 

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Stick lumber has come way down, but still high historically.

OSB is what is still astronomically high due to resin shortages. It would cost a fortune to board up downtown like they did after the riots. Probably 3 -4x more expensive now. 

Unless the window is massive in size, it still seems like it'd be worth the $200-$400 bucks to cover a window with a bullet hole. Not very welcoming for guests. 

Maybe a short-term solution would be to have someone fake a scooter accident and smash into it, so it looks like an out of control scooter rider instead of a bullet. :)

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Is this finally going to happen? Looks pretty cool (the switchback park).

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/proposed-path-would-connect-belknap-to-downtown-gr/

That little beotch squirrel looks like he's up to no good. 

Screenshot-20.jpg?resize=867,401

Boy I sure hope so! This has been in the works since I lived in Belknap five years ago.

It sure would've been nice using something like this pushing our stroller vs. going down the hill on a busy noisy Michigan St to get downtown.

• Like 2

Looks like the old Baker Furniture building is going to see new life. As... a furniture company headquarters. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/new-mien-co-hq-planned-at-former-baker-furniture-building-along-gr-riverfront

Interestingly, the future plans may have a residential component:

“It’s a beautiful location. We want to make sure the people who work there love working there,” he said. “We hope to create an environment there with housing and maybe a restaurant, but we don’t know the extent of what that will look like right now.”

2eb2cb1d513ef32e0f136f4c70da9662_XL.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The planning commission approved adding a floor to the old section of the building:

WOODTV: grand-rapids/mien-company's-new-plan-for-old-baker-furniture-building-gets-ok

The old part of the building was built in 1872.  That was before steel framing so likely the building is supported mostly by the external walls.  I've been in the building and the walls are thickest on the first floor and are thinner as you go up.  Hopefully they have accounted for that.

Probably the oldest steel framed building in Grand Rapids is the Trust Building built in 1892, one of the earliest skyscrapers anywhere..  Even with the steel framing, the  thickness of the Trust Building's external walls diminishes as you go higher.  So even with the steel, either they didn't quite trust the new technology or they hadn't yet figured out how to hang walls.        

Trust Building Wiki

Edit: Actually, taking a look just now at the Baker proposal, I think where they are proposing the new floor may have been an addition built sometime much later than 1872.  If you look at the 1918 photo in the WOODTV link you can see that this section of the building doesn't show.  So I don't know for sure what holds that part of the building up.  But the above is still a good story so I'm sticking with it.

Edited by walker
second thoughts
  • Like 2