Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

Yeesh have some patience people. Most murals take a lot of time and layering. This looks like just the initial background layer, it could look like anything once completed. 

It'll be a mural of Lord Commander Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

I hope it's something elegant and timeless. I love the hornets as much as the next guy but I'd rather not see a ten story mural of them so prominent....Maybe one of all the professional sports teams based in charlotte integrated together in one mural.

Nothing on this wall or building is going to be "timeless". Hopefully there is a building built next to this in the next wave.

I haven't seen the final product yet, but a continuation of the geometric shapes found on the screening was all I was expecting. Like everyone else I would love to see a high quality work of art, but why would a developer fork over the money for that when in all reality it would be completely or partially blocked in five to seven years time? At least we got something. They could have easily painted the massive thing beige and called it a day.

That screen is still a major disappointment but it's growing on me a little. It doesn't look quite as bad in that first picture. Maybe it's just the angle of the lighting or something. But it does kind of blend well with the building while being ugly on its own merit.

Not a big fan of it either.  "Mural" is forgettable/laughable...Would much rather have seen Wind Silo type coverage like the garage across from the Spectrum Center.  Which would have caught people's eyes from the park.  Or somehow encompassed some sort of interactive panels or coverage like the deck at CLT Douglas with the blue lighting.

Ugh, ok yes that truly is laughable if its done. I was so sure it was just blocking in of the background, and it being covered up in several years is really no excuse when it wouldn't take much longer to make something worthwhile. I have to say we have a pretty terrible track record when it comes to public art, where everything is designed to be as generic and inoffensive as possible. I still cringe every time I walk by the "gateway" sculptures on Tryon at 277. 

46 minutes ago, saamh said:

I think this is one of those buildings that we hope other buildings develop around it so the Ascent becomes slightly hidden... At least at the base

Yeah except it is surrounded by a park and baseball stadium. Can only really hide it on the Green's lot side. The garage is gonna be front and center from the park .

Edited by Jayvee

I was looking at it this morning on my run, and the thing I don't like about it is that it draws attention to how massively boxy the parking garage portion of the building is.  That mural wall sticks out 10 or 15 feet from the rest of the building, which was noticeable before, but now it is even more obvious.