Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

This doesn’t look like a prison.  
It looks like the building across the street at Bainbridge and Commerce and the building on the right when you cross the Lee Bridge into Manchester.  

There will be trees and street lights (not pictured) that will soften and ground it. 

Edited by Brent114

Let's also hope that the architectural "ugly duckling" rule applies - what may be an ugly duckling on paper (or on a computer screen) turns out maybe not to be a beautiful swan in brick and mortar - but at least fairly nice looking. We see this kind of thing happen quite frequently - so - perhaps once it's built, it'll look quite a bit better than the renderings show.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

This one is starting to have quite the presence.  The multicolored finishes make it appear larger than it did when it was just papered  in Tyvec. 

780B7A85-6230-4ABD-8EBF-825A20757CDB.jpeg

9DDD8488-0141-4E40-8069-FC7000C50809.jpeg

EC1181A9-07D7-477F-B5E1-4B6D861CC536.jpeg

6830999A-5587-48D5-B6E8-7A5AEF878D44.jpeg

These photos are GREAT!  Thanks for posting. What is the name of this development again?  I can’t keep them all straight in my head. 

22 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This one is starting to have quite the presence.  The multicolored finishes make it appear larger than it did when it was just papered  in Tyvec. 

780B7A85-6230-4ABD-8EBF-825A20757CDB.jpeg

9DDD8488-0141-4E40-8069-FC7000C50809.jpeg

EC1181A9-07D7-477F-B5E1-4B6D861CC536.jpeg

6830999A-5587-48D5-B6E8-7A5AEF878D44.jpeg

Fantastic photos, my friend!! Hmmm... methinks you're in line now for yet another piece of RVA/UP silver hardware for this week. Well done!

This building has tremendous street presence. That third picture with South Falls I in the distance - man - this ain't our grandparents' Richmond anymore. :tw_thumbsup:

Screenshot (2877) - Copy.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, whw53 said:

This project has had like 4 names - I think they settled on (in an ode to war of 1812 naval captains for which Manchester gets its street names)  ....'The Navigator'. 

https://www.hourigan.group/project/the-navigator/

Man, their construction photo gallery is pretty robust, even though it's rather dated. 

Now - if only we can get them (Hourigan) moving forward on the Silos project! :tw_wink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Seems that Legend Brewing is looking to redone their property to B-7. 

This move while preemptive, sets the tone for this parcel to become something taller and more productive than the current 1 story brewery. 

Should be interesting to see how this plays out and how long Legend plans to continue operating in their current building before redevelopment eventually happens.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/30/legend-brewing-files-to-rezone-its-manchester-property-but-says-a-move-isnt-imminent/

One slight correction: Legends is looking to rezone from B-7 to B-4.

From @RVABizSenseMike's reporting:

The brewery is seeking to rezone its property to B-4 Central Business District, which allows for a mix of uses and does not have a height restriction. Legend’s land is currently zoned B-7, which caps building height at five stories. 

Holy... moly... B-4!! THIS is a real shocker, given the source. And @blopp1234, to your point - you are spot on! We very well COULD see something of significant size go there if that block gets upzoned to B-4. Holy moly.

Let's see how much pushback comes from Manchester Alliance et al who are going to kvetch about the usual stuff they kvetch about when protesting any new development - particularly anything of any significant size.

Friends - if this is approved, this is really huge. Is this tantamount to Legends finally "seeing the light" and "getting onboard the train"? Wondering if (even though they say they're not going anywhere) if they've received some rather lucrative offers to buy the property from developers who want to build something even taller than Avery Hall's towers?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

One slight correction: Legends is looking to rezone from B-7 to B-4.

From @RVABizSenseMike's reporting:

The brewery is seeking to rezone its property to B-4 Central Business District, which allows for a mix of uses and does not have a height restriction. Legend’s land is currently zoned B-7, which caps building height at five stories. 

Holy... moly... B-4!! THIS is a real shocker, given the source. And @blopp1234, to your point - you are spot on! We very well COULD see something of significant size go there if that block gets upzoned to B-4. Holy moly.

Let's see how much pushback comes from Manchester Alliance et al who are going to kvetch about the usual stuff they kvetch about when protesting any new development - particularly anything of any significant size.

Friends - if this is approved, this is really huge. Is this tantamount to Legends finally "seeing the light" and "getting onboard the train"? Wondering if (even though they say they're not going anywhere) if they've received some rather lucrative offers to buy the property from developers who want to build something even taller than Avery Hall's towers?

You’d have to build taller than Avery Hall’s towers on Legend’s land or else you won’t get any view of the skyline!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whw53 said:

this guy's a joke. epicenter of opposition to adjacent development projects for years and now decides all of sudden to focus on his own tract and to go big. still won't touch a legends  beer over his gate keeping posture to development.  need to go back and find some of his quotes, man what a piece of work. 

Money talks, my man. Guarantee you some deep-pocketed, likely out-of-state developers have approached him and have been waving around a mint full of Benjamins, particularly if they (the developers) could buy the property already pre-zoned to B-4 to clear any hurdles for something of significant size that could potentially get built there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

This is interesting. I have a *conspiracy* theory on this:

We all know the Legends owner was not arguing in good faith against Avery development... but it looks like *conspiracy hat* that maybe we was doing everything in his power to make sure Avery gave him/Legends brewing the "classic view everyone knows and loves for our small business!" under the disguise of good ole' fashion brewery so that he can size up a better deal for his land to a prospect developer and say "look, I know there is a giant Avery development right in front but most of the view of the city is still available due to my strong negotiating position with Avery." 

We all know Avery development went out of their way to appease Legends... even sacrificing their design so that Legends can still have a view to accommodate the owner. 

I'm sure the owner's best wish was to have Avery never built but looks like he may have been saving his view for a sale of the land to a bidder, not for Legends ole' good time classic skyline view of the city. 

Ironic that the guy who argued against height in manchester is now petitioning to go from b7 to unlimited height b4. I hope the city just quotes him in their rejection response: "We would love to permit this petition but you said this type of height would ruin the historic and culture of Manchester. We're going to have to side with old Legends, not new Legends, point of view. Rejected!"

:tw_joy:

Love it! 

In all seriousness, making THAT kind of a jump - B-7 to B-4 - says to me he's already entertaining offers and wants to get this property ready to roll for a developer who's going to drop some SERIOUS coin to snag it. Manchester is still red hot - and I can SO see a big-time developer from (pick your city) coming in, dropping a kings ransom on the parcel to build something pretty darn big. The parcel is big enough that setbacks would be easy to be baked into any building design - which means it could reach plenty of height. 

Allllllll is very interesting... 

Oh - and to @upzoningisgood-- while the city has obviously been pushing TOD-1 zoning all over the place (often at the request of property owners or developers), they've zoned a handful of surprise locations - ironically - in Manchester as B-4. Probably the most notable would be Hourigan's parcel at the Silos - I believe they secured the rezoning at least a year ago. I remember it passing without any issue.

That said - getting this parcel upzoned to B-4 isn't something unprecedented for Manchester and, as you said, the city by-and-large, from the planning department to City Council does seem to embrace that GO!! GO!!! GO!! GO!! pro-development mindset. THANK GOD!

My hunch is it'll pass with no problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I read about this this morning I was skeptical.  

The reader reviews are all very positive though.   People really like the brand and apparently the company has been growing like a weed.  There may be a customer base already established.  La Diff welcomes the company too.    

The building now has two small office rooms and pretty small windows along Hull Street.  It has recently been renovated so I don’t expect that space to be opened up and given the “historic” nature of the building, I don’t see big display windows in the future.  I’m not sure that there will be much presence on Hull, which is unfortunate.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if construction will follow any time soon but the orange Box site is being demo’d this week (the old building has been knocked down already, pile of rubble).  It’s at 7th and Decatur streets.  The same developer that built the Box released some renderings of the building slated for this site last year.  It basically looks like the Box but in orange instead of white. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Not sure if construction will follow any time soon but the orange Box site is being demo’d this week (the old building has been knocked down already, pile of rubble).  It’s at 7th and Decatur streets.  The same developer that built the Box released some renderings of the building slated for this site last year.  It basically looks like the Box but in orange instead of white. 

If memory serves, Tom Papa is one of the developers involve in the Box projects.

I'd love to see him start to push South Falls II forward. Wonder if we'll see him launch that project in 2024? thinking-face.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA