Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

5 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Renderings of the 90-unit Swansboro Place

swansboro-place-drawings.jpeg

Feels like a 60s office building, but it's great to see affordable options and continued growth down Hull Street.  

Geez.  This also looks like a 1980s college dorm.  I'm thrilled to see all of this development but the architecture with some of these developments is horrible.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

It's my understanding that the Silos project is still in the planning process. I would frankly be shocked if that project got scrapped.

WHEW!! Okay - exhaling some then. Thanks, Mike, for helping ease more than a few worried minds.

• Like 1

Found this article on Avery Hall’s development and the concessions they made to land on the consent agenda last night.  Also included are some new renderings I don’t remember seeing before:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/17-story-richmond-riverfront-apartment-complex-unanimously-approved-for-development-in-manchester/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some SILVER-HARDWARE-worthy reporting by @RVABizSenseMikein today's RBS about both the Avery Hall towers and the Hourigan project. According to Mike's reporting, Avery Hall is looking to break ground on the 17-story, 366-unit, eastern-most tower and four-story parking deck in the first half of next year. AND - Mike dropped some SIGNIFICANT golden nuggets that should be encouraging to all of us - perhaps the biggest being that these towers may very well be only the FIRST Richmond development for Avery Hall.

Referencing remarks by Avery Hall partner Jesse Wark, Mike wrote:

Wark described the Sixth Street project as a great introduction to the Richmond market and said that Avery Hall continues to look for development opportunities in the area. 

“We’re looking all over but there are obviously some parts of town that are more planned for higher density development and that’s what we do – ground up high-density development, Wark said. 

Unless I'm misreading the tea leaves, I submit that we should NOT be surprised AT ALL if during the course of this decade, Avery Hall announces another large-scale high-density project in Richmond, whether that be downtown, Monroe Ward, elsewhere in Manchester. It sounds to me like Avery Hall is here to stay!

The OTHER golden nuggets from Mike's reporting give us some clarity - and should be encouraging - regarding progress on the Hourigan development. An ordinance for an SUP for the project was introduced at last Monday's City Council meeting. Hourigan had requested - and received - upzoning for the parcel to B-4 in 2021, and if I remember correctly, they received approval and demo permits to take down the Southern States silos. They need the SUP because of the design of the building . From Mike's reporting: they need relief from the inclined plane and parking and circulation restrictions. The SUP will betaken up by the Planning Commission at their next meeting.

So now we know ONE of the delays - and that this part of the process is very much moving forward. ALSO - the economic situation has stretched the timeline of the project. Mike writes:

Williams Mullen’s Preston Lloyd, who’s representing Hourigan, said they don’t have an estimate on when demolition will begin on the site. 

“Like every other project in America, the development timeline for this project has elongated given the challenges in the capital and credit markets, and this project is navigating some of those same challenges,” Lloyd said. 

So now we know the state of play - and to me, it sounds very encouraging, all things considered.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/28/550-unit-apartment-towers-next-to-legend-get-city-council-go-ahead/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

201 W. Commerce Road is going on the market, according to @RVABizSenseMike's reporting in today's RBS. Normally we worry when a developer who was planning something significant pulls back and puts the property up for sale. HOWEVER - this story has a few interesting twists that go counter to what we tend to fear.  If you recall, Brent Graves -- the developer/owner of the property --  had floated the idea a couple of years ago about building a residential building up to 16 stories with a grocer on the ground floor. Now he's looking to sell (maybe to cash out on the rapidly-rising property values in lower Manchester?) Either way, some interesting takeaways:

The 1-acre parcel on the south half of the block bounded by Commerce, W. 7th Street, Perry and  Porter streets is zoned B-4 - which means no height limit (only the 4:1 setback requirements). According to Mike's reporting Graves wants to find a buyer/developer who will take advantage of the B-4 zoning AND BUILD TALL. Check out this quote - and Graves' idea for part of what cold be developed there:

“A thoughtful design and development plan on this site will provide great views of both the James River as well as of the downtown skyline,” he said. “Ideally a development on this site could have a rooftop bar and/or restaurant on the top floor of the building.”

This makes me see Graves as the polar opposite of the former owner of the property on which Foushee Mews in Monroe Ward is now rising. Recall that owner would sell only to a developer who would build "historic" and "small". Graves appears to be looking specifically for a developer who will build big, bold and tall. THAT's huge in my mind.

Graves also pointed to the issue of why there's still no grocer in Manchester, despite the district's explosive growth. As we have discussed here on our forum, it boils down to one thing: critical mass of people.

“Basically the feedback I’ve gotten is Manchester needs to hit a critical mass of population. Until that happens, grocers are a little gun-shy,” he said. “I think there’s some interest. Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I think it’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when.”

Hopefully if this property sells (even as just an armchair observer, something tells me it probably will fairly quickly) I hope and pray we DO get a developer who will shoot for the moon and reach for the stars with an epic, tall, robust development - and that we don't get just another five-to-eight story apartment building. This parcel is in a prominent location in Manchester - we need height, density and - perhaps - a grocer (or other businesses). 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/05/manchester-site-once-eyed-for-a-grocery-store-goes-back-on-the-market/

11.30R-Graves-aerial-700x517 (1).jpg

Screenshot (294).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Thalhimer be like "sorry, best I can do is a strip mall..."

All jokes aside, I really like that this developer seems to be holding out for someone with the same mindset. You don't see this much. I guess it's also a way of saying "show up with deep pockets for this land or don't bother me." Love it.

image.jpeg.a8a63fd7c0d6b1cf28c40787adccefd6.jpeg!!!