The complete Whole Foods - Traders Joe's omni-thread

jthrasher

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray is trying to spin his way out of this.

"Sometimes, the corporate PR team doesn't even know what's happening," said Murray.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/03/why_trader_joes_and_whole_food.html#incart_river_default

I don't think it's MLive's fault at what went down. I think what's more amazing and shameful is the collective frothing at the mouth from Grand Rapids people. I was flabbergasted at the delirious response. Seriously people, it's a retail store, not a mayan temple to the gods.

I don't think it's MLive's fault at what went down. I think what's more amazing and shameful is the collective frothing at the mouth from Grand Rapids people. I was flabbergasted at the delirious response. Seriously people, it's a retail store, not a mayan temple to the gods.

I couldn't agree more! I've never been to either store so I'm not really sure what all the hype is about anyway but come on, it's a grocery store.  I'm also tired of the developers trying to hype things up too.  

I couldn't agree more! I've never been to either store so I'm not really sure what all the hype is about anyway but come on, it's a grocery store.  I'm also tired of the developers trying to hype things up too.  

We have McDonald's, why would we ever need a Ruth Chris?  They are just restaurants after all...  :thumbsup:

You may not be their target audience if you've never been to either before.  They would bring name brands with a following to help fill a need in a growing niche. The "foodies" in town would add WF to their rotation.  The "health food" crowd would add WF to their rotation.  

Trader Joe's are generally small stores and that require very little volume to be busy/successful.   You could probably build 5 TJ's in GR without too much of an impact to other grocers. Contrary to what was said earlier, I actually think they would be a big success in a "downtown'ish" area.  They  would not require a huge parking lot like a Meijer/D&W and could fit into a smaller spot than a traditional grocery without a lot of demolition and they are generally a pretty reasonably priced spot with some unique and healthier than average options.  The old Rite Aid on Michigan would work great.  You probably could find a spot in Easttown for it too.

I do think there is some truth to the fact that PR people will say NO until they are ready to say Yes. I'm not saying that means Trader Joe's IS coming to GR, but companies want to control the message. 

Look at Southwest Airlines. When asked about flights into GRR they said they didn't know until THEY wanted to say something. It's an delicate dance...

Joe

... companies want to control the message.  ...

Indeed. "We're not coming to GR but oh gosh darn it, there's our company name in the headlines again, and there go the website hits and Twits. Hate that."

WGVU is covering it by reporting about the denials.

We have McDonald's, why would we ever need a Ruth Chris?  They are just restaurants after all...  :thumbsup:

You may not be their target audience if you've never been to either before.  They would bring name brands with a following to help fill a need in a growing niche. The "foodies" in town would add WF to their rotation.  The "health food" crowd would add WF to their rotation.  

Trader Joe's are generally small stores and that require very little volume to be busy/successful.   You could probably build 5 TJ's in GR without too much of an impact to other grocers. Contrary to what was said earlier, I actually think they would be a big success in a "downtown'ish" area.  They  would not require a huge parking lot like a Meijer/D&W and could fit into a smaller spot than a traditional grocery without a lot of demolition and they are generally a pretty reasonably priced spot with some unique and healthier than average options.  The old Rite Aid on Michigan would work great.  You probably could find a spot in Easttown for it too.

Never been to Ruth's Chris either. Wonder how they're doing?

I was actually in a Whole Foods in Chicago once, looking for batteries for my camera. In Evanston I think. I didn't realize it was a Whole Foods until I was leaving (just thought it was a grocery store).

I knew I had seen this somewhere, but here are demographics for downtown. I think it's that median household income of $26K that is hurting its retail image:

http://ciemaps.epropertydata.com/demographics/GRRingStudy.aspx?p=Im2iXibT4bPzr7yzr6Y407kkA6XzMcn6p0p4PZ7g82kxps-122-6Ol5MtT7XVQgwAeqTAU-125-QGlL9XAO48EKOV3D0MV6cw71VwNlkrAyhqtyyad4-127-

So how does the city raise that?

Links to census data maps. (Previously seen on the FB group "The Salon" as well as MLive.)

Income distribution

Educational attainment

As a reminder, the census collects data based on residence. Hover over an area, and see how many people live there, how much money they make, and how many years of schooling they've finished. Take a look at the block including Calder Plaza, census tract #2. Not very impressive; presumably the "residents" of shelters and student apartments skew things downward.

However, quite a few people work in that tract, which includes many banks, lawyers offices, and governmental facilities, and in professions that require a bachelors' degree and pay better than the average shown.

Not all consumer provisioning trips route from home. You end up there eventually, but if you're already out at work, you're likely to stop at a store en route.

I'm looking for shareable data indicating these factors.

the problem with scanning demographic data, as was pointed out is that downtown and adjacent residential neighborhoods are comprised of two very distinct populations. transient and poor ( inc. students) and professionals who are quite well off. when averaged they don't look so good.  all the low income housing developments, while nice because they bring in people, are going to possibly hurt the median income.  I say possibly because the median income of 10k really can go nowhere but up assuming that residents have any income at all.

another thing that I thought was interesting is that census tract 21 had 1589 households and only 1426 population 25 and up.  

^^Isn't it fun? Census data presented as a nifty visual can lose me for hours.

Another demographic not represented in official counts: the transient population that rolls in for a convention, trade show, or other event-that-is-not-ArtPrize. Example:

The first American Quilter's Society Show & Contest held at the DeVos Place Convention Center from Aug. 22 to 25 brought more than 21,500 attendees to West Michigan.

Found the employment-based census data, thanks to Kara Wood at the city's Economic Development department and Brant Siegel at The Right Place.

jobsmap.jpg

edu-map.jpg

Here's the data link. It's not intuitive. I drew a polygon on the Division/Wealthy block and buffered a 1.5 mile radius from that, which picked up the DT employment locations.

The website also offers comparison methods, which could be very entertaining.

• 1 year later...

Friend just posted that she was at a Trader Joes  In Bloomfield.

In talking to an employee there they said:

"Employee confirmed, Joe's is coming to Grand Rapids next year!! She saw an in-store bulletin about transferring to GR."

Looks like next year.

No offense Leo, but tell your friend: "Pictures or it didn't happen." :)

The Whole Joe's Trader Foods rumors will go down as the most annoying thing of the decade in Grand Rapids.

The only thing I can think of is that Lormax Stern does have Trader Joe's as a client already and may be getting them in Knapp's Crossing. Because if they're talking about transferring employees already, it would almost have to be under construction already.

The Whole Joe's Trader Foods rumors will go down as the most annoying thing of the decade in Grand Rapids.

The only thing I can think of is that Lormax Stern does have Trader Joe's as a client already and may be getting them in Knapp's Crossing. Because if they're talking about transferring employees already, it would almost have to be under construction already.

It was also confirmed by a friend who works at a Trader Joe's in Chicago area.  It was distributed in internal communication and was marked "not for public or media"

It was also confirmed by a friend who works at a Trader Joe's in Chicago area.  It was distributed in internal communication and was marked "not for public or media"

Wow. Distributing a memo region-wide to employees at every level, then marking it "TOP SECRET". Marketing genius. No wonder there's such a hype-machine—they're probably feeding it themselves in various ways.

Not that it couldn't happen, but would they really plop a Trader Joe's next door to that D&W, across the street from ALDI and kitty corner from Meijer?  On one hand, it seems there would be easier target areas and on the other, eh, why not.  Show off the differences.  What do I know?

Not that it couldn't happen, but would they really plop a Trader Joe's next door to that D&W, across the street from ALDI and kitty corner from Meijer?  On one hand, it seems there would be easier target areas and on the other, eh, why not.  Show off the differences.  What do I know?

You might be surprised! The Trader Joe's that is a block form my office is across the street from a Jewel (grocery store) and next door to Whole Foods. The Trader Joe's a few blocks from my home is also next to a Jewel and near a Whole Foods AND another local grocer. If I were to think of the other TJ's I shop at, they are also near other grocery stores. That said, it would be a little difficult/impractical to do the entirety of your grocery shopping at TJ's, so I generally hit several of those stores at once when I run errands.

Just some food (pun intended) for thought. :)

The Northville, MI location is right across the street from a Meijer, so TJs next to competitors seems commonplace, however, I guess the real question is do they want their stores across the street from each other. I don't know of many Aldi's/Trader Joe's being so close, but I'm not a retail expert and they do hit different target audiences. 

I suppose we know more when the deal for the property finalizes December 30.

The Northville, MI location is right across the street from a Meijer, so TJs next to competitors seems commonplace, however, I guess the real question is do they want their stores across the street from each other. I don't know of many Aldi's/Trader Joe's being so close, but I'm not a retail expert and they do hit different target audiences. 

I suppose we know more when the deal for the property finalizes December 30.

Now there's a tease

Knapp's Crossing. The last article mentioned the "auction" will take place place December 30. With Lormax being the only bidder, its only a formality, but I imagine if some of the rumors are true, then they'd maybe announce something after that date about possible tenants.

Archived