Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

11 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I haven't seen it, but I have been doing this in my living room with something that looks similar to One Atlantic Center.  Something is talking to me from beyond.  The building Gods?

03top10iconicmovielocations.jpg%3Fw=480&

I have one just like that in my living room :-o.
I'm going to make a new rendering of uptown after Labor Day, and I'll include a not so perfect version of the building. 

5 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Back to the actual Observer site. I haven't been on that side of town for a few weeks, can any verify that the building is completely gone now?  I was surprised at how fast everything was moving on site with the demolition last time i was in town. 

Basically yes.  The last wall along Stonewall is now down and they are in the process of removing all the debris away.  At one point last week, I counted no less than eight machines crunching and moving what was left.  It is pretty impressive to see that this building, within one month, went from existing to being a lot full of rubble.  Now bring on the redevelopment!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Plans have been filed on Accela. Nothing is selectable yet but man oh man are they moving fast. 

I'll be honest. THIS is the pace at which I expect all projects to move. Unrealistic as that may be, that's why I get frustrated when progress creeps along. If LH can do it, then so can anyone else and all the excuses are just that...

10 minutes ago, jednc said:

I'll be honest. THIS is the pace at which I expect all projects to move. Unrealistic as that may be, that's why I get frustrated when progress creeps along. If LH can do it, then so can anyone else and all the excuses are just that...

Like comparing a pea to a papaya. LH has significant financial backing from Goldman Sachs and the office tower is likely coming online with a majority leased anchor tenant. The money that the city and CRVA contribute to the Westin yearly ends in the next couple years, so there's even a chance that the city can help subsidize a large hotel tower through PPP. Lots going for LH that others can't benefit from. 

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Like comparing a pea to a papaya. LH has significant financial backing from Goldman Sachs and the office tower is likely coming online with a majority leased anchor tenant. The money that the city and CRVA contribute to the Westin yearly ends in the next couple years, so there's even a chance that the city can help subsidize a large hotel tower through PPP. Lots going for LH that others can't benefit from. 

It's not that I doubt anything you've said, I'm really just saying that I personally hate the amount of time most development takes. I'd almost rather not know about it until it's "shovel ready".

47 minutes ago, Niner National said:

not visiting this site would alleviate most of that problem.

Wow, you're clever. Then again, I don't think the sole purpose of this site is gossip and advanced knowledge. Even if that WERE the sole purpose, I'm not counting gossip as an announcement. I'm talking about the public announcement of a new project versus the day that project breaks ground. I don't need this site to know about Tryon Place for example. They have made announcements, posted videos, etc. I probably didn't spell that out as simply as I could have the first time, so I'm happy to break it down for you.

Edited by jednc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jednc said:

Wow, you're clever. Then again, I don't think the sole purpose of this site is gossip and advanced knowledge. Even if that WERE the sole purpose, I'm not counting gossip as an announcement. I'm talking about the public announcement of a new project versus the day that project breaks ground. I don't need this site to know about Tryon Place for example. They have made announcements, posted videos, etc. I probably didn't spell that out as simply as I could have the first time, so I'm happy to break it down for you.

I thought you just meant from the time plans were filed.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2013 at 9:07 AM, atlrvr said:

Dan Morrill proposed having the Obvs building named a local historic landmark.  I don't remember is city council passed it or not, but the effect would only be a 1 year delay in demolition from the time the demoliton permit request was made.

That said, I'm torn.  I would hate for us to tear down one of the few decent examples of brutalist architecture, but the siting so far back from the curb makes it really hard to put in a better urban context.

Its amazing how spot on the beginning of this thread was. I don't think any of us could have imagined the speed of this demolition or how positive the change is going to be for Uptown as a whole.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2016 at 9:09 AM, atlrvr said:

Think it's owned by Carter Meiselman.

Coincidentally, the discussion around ownership of the surface lot between The Green and Gantt Center just had some relative news today.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/15/eastern-federal-corp-appoints-former-crosland-exec.html