Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

A mixed-use project featuring 220 units and 60,000 sq. ft. of restaurant/space is being planned for the Tech Hill area at 510 Interstate Blvd. by an unknown developer.  No word on how many stories, but guess it will be 3 or 4. The site is currently industrial. 

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/fairgrounds-area-site-could-land-mixed-use-building/article_e8dde0be-b9ac-11eb-9652-870349fc07db.html

501 Interstate Blvd, May 21, 2021, site aerial.png

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

501 Interstate Blvd, May 21, 2021, site map.png

They will have a nice view of downtown, as long as the car parts place is there 

• Like 2

Does anyone know what's going on with the Burger King at 8th and Wedgewood that was damaged in the storm? I noticed all of the windows have been boarded up. I wonder if they're planning a renovation or cutting their losses and leaving. That's a prime location.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Does anyone know what's going on with the Burger King at 8th and Wedgewood that was damaged in the storm? I noticed all of the windows have been boarded up. I wonder if they're planning a renovation or cutting their losses and leaving. That's a prime location.

Interestingly, there are no permits, even in process, in looking up the address. Maybe it’s quietly for sale……

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

More details, renderings, and diagram for 910 8th Ave. South development by CA South. 

- Entire 8th Ave. South frontage will be activated by restaurants  covering 15,300 sq. ft. (except for lobby and garage entrance).

- The project will have a curve effect lining-up to the southbound ramp of I-65 inner belt to I-65 south.

More at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2021/05/24/nownext-renderings-reveal-how-this-mixed-use-development-will-transform-8-south-in-nashville/

910 8th Ave South, May 24, 2021, render 6.png

That intersection has needed a traffic light for a long time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

An UDO created to respond to increasing demand for residential capacity, but then entitles max height of 3-stories for MF development (4th floor via modification) is a massive failure in my opinion. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

An UDO created to respond to increasing demand for residential capacity, but then entitles max height of 3-stories for MF development (4th floor via modification) is a massive failure in my opinion. 

The areas within the UDO are currently all SFH or the type of housing outlined in the plan with the exception of some schools. Capping it the way they did kept it contextual to existing neighbors and is an effort to quell the comfort factor of gentrifying neighborhoods. It will allow for added density and housing stock. This should help satisfy the folks who feel like the only realistic way to make housing affordable is by adding housing stock (because inclusionary zoning is banned) while also allowing residents who will have to deal with the added density to remain somewhat comfortable with the changes. 

For me, the only place 4 stories is even really appropriate would've been the 2nd Ave corridor and the neighborhood centers (which is what they did), but due to the large influx of new construction that was built at 3 stories it makes contextual sense to have the 4th floor be through a modification process that I presume will mandate the 4th floors to step back from 3-story structures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The areas within the UDO are currently all SFH or the type of housing outlined in the plan with the exception of some schools. Capping it the way they did kept it contextual to existing neighbors and is an effort to quell the comfort factor of gentrifying neighborhoods. It will allow for added density and housing stock. This should help satisfy the folks who feel like the only realistic way to make housing affordable is by adding housing stock (because inclusionary zoning is banned) while also allowing residents who will have to deal with the added density to remain somewhat comfortable with the changes. 

For me, the only place 4 stories is even really appropriate would've been the 2nd Ave corridor and the neighborhood centers (which is what they did), but due to the large influx of new construction that was built at 3 stories it makes contextual sense to have the 4th floor be through a modification process that I presume will mandate the 4th floors to step back from 3-story structures.

Nashville is a growing city that is growing faster than the housing stock. To combat that, you need inclusionary housing + massive supply. The state is banning one and this UDO is greatly limiting the supply. Banning inclusionary housing hurts low-income residents while imposing a dumb 3-story max height all for the purpose of context, character, and making residents feel like they aren't losing their neighborhoods hurts affordability for everyone. 

You can absolutely maintain character and context of a neighborhood and still have ~6 stories. This UDO does nothing to combat affordability, and you also have SNAP coalitions that are causing developers like AJ Capital to can the Merritt Mansion development because they want affordable housing within the 3-stories. You can't have both... 

I'm not saying build skyscrapers, but 3-stories? Please. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville is a growing city that is growing faster than the housing stock. To combat that, you need inclusionary housing + massive supply. The state is banning one and this UDO is greatly limiting the supply. Banning inclusionary housing hurts low-income residents while imposing a dumb 3-story max height all for the purpose of context, character, and making residents feel like they aren't losing their neighborhoods hurts affordability for everyone. 

You can absolutely maintain character and context of a neighborhood and still have ~6 stories. This UDO does nothing to combat affordability, and you also have SNAP coalitions that are causing developers like AJ Capital to can the Merritt Mansion development because they want affordable housing within the 3-stories. You can't have both... 

I'm not saying build skyscrapers, but 3-stories? Please. 

This is the fine line Zoning has to walk in a city. If it was an easy fix every city would have it down pat and they wouldn't be exploring different things such as eliminating SFH zoning (Minneapolis). We also aren't cities like NYC, Chicago, Miami, Boston, San Fran where the land is so valuable that it is imperative to build tall everywhere in the city. You can have context at 6 floors, sure. But to me that only works along 2nd Ave and in the Neighborhood Centers (which only exists in Chestnut Hill, not Wedgewood-Houston), but i'll refer you back to my original comment about the newly constructed context along those corridors. You put a 6 story building (let's say that would be about 65' accounting for the 14' minimum first floor plus 10' floor-to-floor after that) on a lot no more than 120 feet wide in a neighborhood where no other building is above 35' and you tell me that is comfortable? I will tell you, you are a developer that is looking out for your pocketbook more than the neighborhood. I'm not saying that building 6-stories is bad or we shouldn't do it, I am saying this is not the area to do it in.

AJ Capital is hurting themselves with their PR failures. The Merritt Mansion development could easily incorporate some affordable housing without hitting the bottom line to hard, it is more of a matter of communication and they are proving to be awful at it. SNAP and NOAH (?) are bulldog groups that are rightfully fighting for affordable housing out of groups that can afford to build some, but refuse to. Whether because of ROI, "Crime" or other societal stereotypes that they want to play. Developers are the NIMBYs of affordable housing when it comes to their projects. Just because the state does something as dumb as banning inclusionary zoning, doesn't mean the city and its taxpayers need to pick up all the slack. The folks that want to build here, need to actually build here. That includes building up neighborhoods the way the neighborhoods feel the neighborhood should go. The notion that the developer drives growth versus the people is dumb. Merritt Mansion isn't even part of the UDO, it's north of the boundary.

The city needs more density, but that density has to start at the core before reaching out into the low lying neighborhoods. Look at the discussion on 2nd and Peabody about moving the community character/neighborhood boundaries to allow more density. Look at the Beamen development over at 12th and Hawkins.  Look at how Division Street is developing. The density starts there and works its way out creating the necessary context as it grows. Additionally, SP is always a process that developers can make use of. It is just the more difficult route to go. 

• Like 1

@Bos2Nash I agree even a 6-story building on one lot could look out of place, but I am more upset that if a developer purchases 2 or 3 lots, particularly along Wedgewood Avenue, they couldn't go more than 3-stories. The Muse in Rutledge Hill has a massing that absolutely could work in Wedgewood-Houston.

AJ Capital gets their money from someone/somewhere. It's not up to me or them what returns are required for that money. So I am not sure how easy it is to incorporate affordable housing without affecting ROI. Just a $500 delta  between FMV and affordable rent on 10 units can create nearly ~$1MM in capitalized value on a project... 

And while I agree that neighborhood associations absolutely should have a say in what is developed in their neighborhoods, when the neighborhoods are extremely close to the core, like Wedgewood Houston, no, they should not have the final say IMO. 

Martin Flats (3 & 4 stories, 150 micro units, ground level retail) update: Trim work around windows underway.

Looking SE from Humphreys St., 1/2 block west of Martin St:

Martin Flats, May 23, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking SW from intersection of Humphreys St. and Martin St:

Martin Flats, May 23, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking NW from Martin St., 1/2 block north of Gray St:

Martin Flats, May 23, 2021, 3.jpeg

• Like 3

The  building at 321 Hart St. that housed B1281 Bar---which closed because to the pandemic--will now be reopened as The Hart and will feature Hawaiian and Peruvian dishes, steaks, and build-your-own bowls. The team behind Bento Box (5 stories, 85 units) right next door are the new owners and developers of this restaurant theme.  It will be open by October. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hawaiian-and-peruvian-cuisine-restaurant-planned-for-chestnut-hill/article_3750d356-be3e-11eb-813b-b7cbe8041022.html

• Like 3