Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

By the way the Green Hills Transportation Plan is on the docket for this Thursday's Planning Commission.  This one has been in the works for a long time and has had a tremendous amount of public participation and input/revision from the Planning Department staff.  Keep your fingers crossed:  first that it passes the Commission hearing and second that it actually gets implemented. 

Edited by bwithers1

What is included in that plan?

There is a lot of detail in the plan.  I have attached a link  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/subarea10/Addendum021814.pdf.  The biggest news and amount of commentary on the Planning Dept's comments page is about what the plan will NOT include:  an I-440 interchange to 12th Ave South/Granny White.  There was tremendous opposition to that interchange plan, and so it was dropped.

There is a lot of detail about turn lanes, sidewalks, etc.  The meat of the proposal for connectivity is:

(1) A potential realignment of Abbot Martin to continue across Hillsboro Rd immediately south of the high school all the way across to Hillmont Drive/Lone Oak.

(2) A similar realignment to connect Crestmoor/Glen Echo as another cross-connector going east to Hillmont/Lone Oak.

(3) A north-south connection east of the new Green Hills Branch Library bringing Boensch Street south from Woodmont to Graybar and continuing on to Hillmont/Lone Oak. 

(4) Another north-south connection bringing Benham Ave south from Woodmont all the way through the High School property.

(5) More discussion about a possible straightening of Warfield (not very likely, IMHO)

(6) Lots of little connector streets within some of the properties, particularly in that mega block south of Richard Jones Road where the Southern Land project is going in.

I'm not a Green Hills expert, so anyone more knowledgeable please read and chime in at tomorrow's Planning Commission hearing.  We can talk all we want on this board, but with all due respect, we are not the decision makers.  That is up to the Planning Commission and the Council.  So constructive feedback should be directed to them immediately.  Otherwise, we will continue to be armchair quarterbacks.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

There is a lot of detail in the plan.  I have attached a link  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/subarea10/Addendum021814.pdf.  The biggest news and amount of commentary on the Planning Dept's comments page is about what the plan will NOT include:  an I-440 interchange to 12th Ave South/Granny White.  There was tremendous opposition to that interchange plan, and so it was dropped.

There is a lot of detail about turn lanes, sidewalks, etc.  The meat of the proposal for connectivity is:

(1) A potential realignment of Abbot Martin to continue across Hillsboro Rd immediately south of the high school all the way across to Hillmont Drive/Lone Oak.

(2) A similar realignment to connect Crestmoor/Glen Echo as another cross-connector going east to Hillmont/Lone Oak.

(3) A north-south connection east of the new Green Hills Branch Library bringing Boensch Street south from Woodmont to Graybar and continuing on to Hillmont/Lone Oak. 

(4) Another north-south connection bringing Benham Ave south from Woodmont all the way through the High School property.

(5) More discussion about a possible straightening of Warfield (not very likely, IMHO)

(6) Lots of little connector streets within some of the properties, particularly in that mega block south of Richard Jones Road where the Southern Land project is going in.

I'm not a Green Hills expert, so anyone more knowledgeable please read and chime in at tomorrow's Planning Commission hearing.  We can talk all we want on this board, but with all due respect, we are not the decision makers.  That is up to the Planning Commission and the Council.  So constructive feedback should be directed to them immediately.  Otherwise, we will continue to be armchair quarterbacks.

Whether or not you like the aesthetic look of the Green Hills area, you must know that it is a critical commercial district to Nashville and Davidson County. With Cool Springs taking so much of the upscale retail these days, Green Hills has emerged as a small elite spot (by Tennessee standards, at least) for high end retail shopping. If we expect high end merchandisers to continue to open locations in the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area, then we need to make sure that Green Hills remains an attractive spot for them to locate.

I agree that much needs to be done with the traffic and sidewalks in the area. That is absolutely critical if this area expects to grow and expand. Traffic-wise, the biggest problem I see is a lack of a true cross street in the middle of the district.

Overhill/Hobbs Road to the south and Woodmont to the extreme north of the area are the only streets I can think of that really cross Hillsboro Rd. Richard Jones, Abbott Martin, and Glen Echo are all decent sized roads that dead end into Hillsboro.

If there was a way to create a cross corridor in the middle of the district, then it would allow traffic to spread out from Hillsboro to the parallel roads such as Estes, Belmont, and Lone Oak to find an alternate way to Green Hills, and go across the road rather than having to dump all traffic onto the highway.

I can't say I have an idea of how exactly this would work, but we should probably look into the possibility/feasibility sooner rather than later.

There is no feasible way to widen Hillsboro road...unless you're talking about between Harding and Old Hickory.

Yes, I'm well aware of the cross streets not connecting. That's why I think we need an East/West crosser in the middle of Green Hills. I realize it would probably be terribly expensive, but there are few other options. Even if you create easier access to the parallel streets to Hillsboro (which the locals should already be utilizing wink.gif) it still leaves the problem of actually getting to your destination in the retail center.

They probably could have made it possible for Warfield Dr. to cross Hillsboro into the Hill Center, but Warfield is truly a back road and it really wouldn't alleviate the problem.

Richard Jones ---> Abbott Martin would be the best solution, but it would require displacing an entire shopping center (Hillsboro Plaza) and possibly an office building...so that's really not an option right now (unless the shopping center were to go under financially...which I don't think it is in danger of doing).

It would be incredibly tricky, but the best possible solution I see is connecting Glen Echo to Crestmoor. They just barely offset, and it could possibly be done with the acquisition of just one property (the CVS pharmacy), but it would probably flow better if two or more properties were acquired.

Even though the main traffic flow of Crestmoor flows into the Cleghorn/Hillsboro Circle route, the advantages of this plan would be:

-Access to the Mall without getting on Hillsboro Road (north side entrance via Green Hills Village Dr.)

-Access to Abbott Martin, creating another way to cross Green Hills without getting on Hillsboro Road (the other being Hobbs/Overhill)

-An easier way to get to the Green Hills Post Office and Library from the West side of Green Hills

-A connection to Belmont Blvd, which could serve as an alternate North/South route to the Green Hills area

The spacing is a little tight, but I believe it would be possible to 4-lane the section of Glen Echo from Hillsboro Road to Hillmont Dr. (the road that goes behind Hillsboro High School and connects to Richard Jones Rd.)

All in all, I think it would be a more viable solution than adding any lanes to Hillsboro Road, which would be incredible costly and mess up traffic for years.

Great looking projects. Like aries said, I've been waiting for the more vertical/urban Green Hills to start coming in. It's a very popular area with a very limited amount of space. It's about time.

Unfortunately, I agree with dmills, too, that BRT isn't going to be a reality for Hillsboro/21st. Too crowded and too narrow as it is. They need to work on the traffic flow issues in the heart of the district before worrying about something like BRT.

I've mentioned before that they need more actual cross streets. The combination of staggered intersections with Crestmoor & Glen Echo and Abbott Martin & Richard Jones create two extra traffic signals and a much longer "intersection" space where traffic gets clogged. I'd start with finding a creative way at alleviating those problems. I think Glen Echo/Crestmoor could be reasonably connected, with minimal casualties and expense (good bye CVS). I don't think the same could be done with Richard Jones and Abbott Martin without a significant amount of commercial carnage (I'd say no fewer than 3 buildings would have to go).

As far out as that may sound, I think it would be a more realistic solution than narrowing US 431 to 2 lanes to accommodate BRT.

Great looking projects. Like aries said, I've been waiting for the more vertical/urban Green Hills to start coming in. It's a very popular area with a very limited amount of space. It's about time.

Unfortunately, I agree with dmills, too, that BRT isn't going to be a reality for Hillsboro/21st. Too crowded and too narrow as it is. They need to work on the traffic flow issues in the heart of the district before worrying about something like BRT.

I've mentioned before that they need more actual cross streets. The combination of staggered intersections with Crestmoor & Glen Echo and Abbott Martin & Richard Jones create two extra traffic signals and a much longer "intersection" space where traffic gets clogged. I'd start with finding a creative way at alleviating those problems. I think Glen Echo/Crestmoor could be reasonably connected, with minimal casualties and expense (good bye CVS). I don't think the same could be done with Richard Jones and Abbott Martin without a significant amount of commercial carnage (I'd say no fewer than 3 buildings would have to go).

As far out as that may sound, I think it would be a more realistic solution than narrowing US 431 to 2 lanes to accommodate BRT.

Re-align Richard Jones Rd and Abbott Martin Rd to intersect. Eliminates one red light. Re-align Glen Echo Rd and Crestmoor Rd. Eliminates one red light. Possibly try to move the mall entrance (with the light) right up next to the SunTrust, giving just a wee bit more space between that signal and the one and Glen Echo.

CVS, Walgreens, and Men's Warehouse have to find new locations. Parking has to be shifted. New land will be open.

It doesn't solve traffic problems, but it should have a pronounced effect on that stretch of Hillsboro Rd, where the mall & high school is definitely a choke point. The advantage of the cross streets will be that visitors from the east and west won't be forced to "jog" on Hillsboro Rd to get where they are going.

So why am I not on the Planning Commission? The first post was 4 years ago, and I've been thinking about it long before that.

• Like 2

Oh, no, you need to get in line!  A friend of mine who has lived here almost as long as I have been alive likes to point out to me that Metro has been talking about a Green Hills Traffic Plan for more than 30 years.  The problem is that Metro hasn't ever funded implementation, and the Planning Commission (which is a separate body from the Planning Department staff) hasn't required developers to implement aspects of those plans when they get SPs, etc.

So why am I not on the Planning Commission? The first post was 4 years ago, and I've been thinking about it long before that.

• Like 1

This might be a silly question, but am I correct in assuming that the lot they are clearing/working on between the fire station and The Well coffee house going to be part of the new high-rise that is planned for that area? I also saw they are doing something to that old gas station as well.

This might be a silly question, but am I correct in assuming that the lot they are clearing/working on between the fire station and The Well coffee house going to be part of the new high-rise that is planned for that area? I also saw they are doing something to that old gas station as well.

I believe that is the new Bank of America branch that's replacing the one on Hillsboro Rd.

not silly at all, and you are correct.    the gas station property is in the footprint.   I think the flower mart property is also included.  it's been vacated.