Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

16 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I'm no fan of STRs, but I feel like if they had to be somewhere, this is a reasonable location. It's really close to I-40 and the elevated ramps to Briley, which are extremely loud all the time and cast a huge shadow, so not great for the sanity of anyone living there longterm. But for a tourist, it's a very convenient location for getting onto the highway as well as other transportation and for visiting the commercial stuff on 51st.

I'm much more annoyed about the STRs at the corner of 60th and Morrow, which is a perfect location for a family to live with the access to West Park. Those units also drip tons of rust and some sort of algae-friendly condensate straight onto the sidewalk, but I digress.

Or the units under construction near Ramblin Joes, which are all STR

• Sad 1

2121 Crestmoor Rd. (6 stories, 90 units, 3,500 sq. ft. of retail) finally seems to be moving forward after several years of delay.  Developers Material Ventures and Stiles Corp. are seeking water and sewer capacity info from Metro. Smith Gee Studio is  still the architect, with Barge Cauthen & Associates, also still the land-planner and civil engineer.  No rendering has yet to be released. There is currently a 2 story office structure on the plot.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/real-estate-notes-april-completion-eyed-for-fifth-broadway-addition/article_e3e7663a-c204-11ee-a710-f3f946bac1ce.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in blue at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 8.44.07 AM.png

• Like 4

On 2/2/2024 at 1:44 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

This just f***ing sucks. Seeing what otherwise would be awesome "missing middle" housing built, but then offered entirely to investors for STR is so frustrating. I know that this sort of thing is only a small part of the problem with housing affordability and availability in Nashville, but it's maddening.

I'm gonna be a Karen and report it on a hub request. If nothing else, to see what changed with where STR borders are drawn. I was almost certain that only districts close to the downtown core were allowed, and all others banned. The Nations is not near the core of downtown.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

I'm gonna be a Karen and report it on a hub request. If nothing else, to see what changed with where STR borders are drawn. I was almost certain that only districts close to the downtown core were allowed, and all others banned. The Nations is not near the core of downtown.

Make some NOISE!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Make some NOISE!!

It seems as though the city may have quietly reversed all the restrictions that were the result of so many angry residents at council meetings a few short years ago. It would be extremely frustrating if this were true. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by ThunderOne
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

It seems as though the city may have quietly reversed all the restrictions that were the result of so many angry residents at council meetings a few short years ago. It would be extremely frustrating if this were true. I hope I am wrong.

I would email Rollin Horton as well. He will know the answer for sure. 

• Like 3

Livano Nations (4 & 5 stories, 319 units) update: more buildings topped-out; windows being installed.

Looking  NE from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd., 1/8 block east of 40th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 1.jpeg

Looking  north from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd., 1/8 block east of 40th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 2.jpeg

Looking  NW from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd., 1/4 block east of 40th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 3.jpeg

Looking  NE from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd., 1/4 block east of 40th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 4.jpeg

Looking  north from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd., 1/2 block east of 40th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 5.jpeg

Looking west from Dr. Walter S. Davis Blvd. at 39th Ave. North:

Liviano Nations, Jan 27, 2024, 6.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/5/2024 at 1:30 PM, samsonh said:

I would email Rollin Horton as well. He will know the answer for sure. 

I wrote to Rollin Horton to generally support his and Quin Evan Segall's zoning reform efforts but bring up the issue that there need to be safeguards to protect against "missing middle" housing getting hijacked by real estate investors. To my understanding, their "NEST" proposal with regard to residential zones would still keep the ban on non-owner-occupied STRs in place.

In fact-checking myself for this email, I concluded that developments like 5100 Delaware and Stateside Park are definitely allowed to have non-owner-occupied STRs since they are not zoned residential (R/RS/RM/AR2A). Stateside Park is zoned MUL-A (pretty sure there was a hearing to change this zoning, but I thought the intention was to allow a small apartment/condo building so I didn't attend - I didn't realize it would basically be a ... fancy motel?) and 5100 Delaware is actually zoned CS. And if STRs had to be classified as anything, I think commercial is actually pretty reasonable. I did frame these developments as a suboptimal use of well-positioned land and suggested that we should be encouraging mixed use along the lines of smaller-sized residences over first floor commercial/office along these important neighborhood corridors. I also feel that these STR units set a bad precedent in that zoning aside, they're being displayed and sold like residential properties - but at almost double the price per square foot compared to an ordinary house in the neighborhood. And I've noticed that this kind of "investor pricing" is spilling over particularly into the exact types of residences that are supposed to be more attainable like townhomes, making them just as expensive compared to even the tall skinny houses, with less living space and no yard.

Edited by AsianintheNations
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AsianintheNations said:

I wrote to Rollin Horton to generally support his and Quin Evan Segall's zoning reform efforts but bring up the issue that there need to be safeguards to protect against "missing middle" housing getting hijacked by real estate investors. To my understanding, their "NEST" proposal with regard to residential zones would still keep the ban on non-owner-occupied STRs in place.

In fact-checking myself for this email, I concluded that developments like 5100 Delaware and Stateside Park are definitely allowed to have non-owner-occupied STRs since they are not zoned residential (R/RS/RM/AR2A). Stateside Park is zoned MUL-A (pretty sure there was a hearing to change this zoning, but I thought the intention was to allow a small apartment/condo building so I didn't attend - I didn't realize it would basically be a ... fancy motel?) and 5100 Delaware is actually zoned CS. And if STRs had to be classified as anything, I think commercial is actually pretty reasonable. I did frame these developments as a suboptimal use of well-positioned land and suggested that we should be encouraging mixed use along the lines of smaller-sized residences over first floor commercial/office along these important neighborhood corridors. I also feel that these STR units set a bad precedent in that zoning aside, they're being displayed and sold like residential properties - but at almost double the price per square foot compared to an ordinary house in the neighborhood. And I've noticed that this kind of "investor pricing" is spilling over particularly into the exact types of residences that are supposed to be more attainable like townhomes, making them just as expensive compared to even the tall skinny houses, with less living space and no yard.

Thank you for doing all that research and voicing your concerns! One thing I wonder but probably already know the answer to: if they are in a commerical zoning and are being operated as a business, I'm going to guess they aren't being taxed as a business/hotel...

On 2/6/2024 at 6:12 AM, markhollin said:

4100 Indiana (4 stories, 151 townhomes) update: first section up to 3rd floor; more core drilling across site.

Looking NE from intersection of Indiana Ave. and 42nd Ave. North:

4100 Indiana, Jan 27, 2024, 1.jpeg

Looking north from Indiana Ave. at 41st Ave. North:

4100 Indiana, Jan 27, 2024, 2.jpeg

Is this going to be an STR setup too? :( All this housing being built on previously commercially zoned property now has me skeptical.

Edited by ThunderOne

7 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

Thank you for doing all that research and voicing your concerns! One thing I wonder but probably already know the answer to: if they are in a commerical zoning and are being operated as a business, I'm going to guess they aren't being taxed as a business/hotel...

Is this going to be an STR setup too? :( All this housing being built on previously commercially zoned property now has me skeptical.

I don't think those will be STR. I have to imagine the look will be almost identical to the townhomes on California between 57th and 60s by Nashville Food Project. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Northview Housing (4 & 5 stories, 245 units will be an affordable  senior living development to be built by Born Again Church and Core at 858 West Trinity Lane, which is on the west side of the church's 5 acre complex. Chad Jones of STG Design will be the architect.

The church is in the process of rezoning to allow for a multi-family apartment building. They first bought a plot in 1999 at 864 W. Trinity Lane for $45,000 and has since bought four additional adjoining properties for a combined $105,000.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/trinity-lane-church-plans-affordable-housing-project/article_886cdd68-c6bd-11ee-b3ad-d3e3608ba514.html

Northview Housing Senior Living, Feb 9, 2024, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in blue at the center of the frame:

Northview Housing Senior Living, Feb 9, 2024, site map.png

Really excited to see this one move forwards. I worked closely with Chad (and STG Design as a whole) on some early iterations of this site and it should be really great project.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Really excited to see this one move forwards. I worked closely with Chad (and STG Design as a whole) on some early iterations of this site and it should be really great project.

I am not entirely sure this is the final rendering as this one has been around for over a year, I have sort of been sitting on it until we saw some kind of permits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am not entirely sure this is the final rendering as this one has been around for over a year, I have sort of been sitting on it until we saw some kind of permits.

I don’t really care about the rendering per se (those can always change). The project itself will prove to be fruitful for the corridor and provide senior living space. 

• Like 1