Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From Greenville city - https://fb.watch/pKQs2o1U68/

New Path ➡️ New Adventures. A neighborhood connection to the Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail is now part of the City of Greenville's trail system. In a public-private partnership, Verdae Development built 0.3 miles of new trail called the Legacy Connector, to guide walkers, runners and cyclists to the gorgeous Legacy Park. Tonight, City Council voted to assume ownership and take over maintenance of the new trail.

Not sure if it's open yet, or if the engineer has completed the final inspection.  Official ribbon cutting is in early February.

Edited by bikeoid

The ICAR connection status is a mystery.  The Verdae Blvd bridge construction will be a complication - they may need to reroute part of the trail during construction.   I have seen some survey markers wandering through the trees in that area but have no idea what they're for.   Seemingly they could open a surface crossing in the meantime using the traffic light if they wanted to.

It is a bit concerning that there's been no public discussion at all - hopefully it won't become a 'Gateway' project.

2 hours ago, bikeoid said:

The ICAR connection status is a mystery.  The Verdae Blvd bridge construction will be a complication - they may need to reroute part of the trail during construction.   I have seen some survey markers wandering through the trees in that area but have no idea what they're for.   Seemingly they could open a surface crossing in the meantime using the traffic light if they wanted to.

It is a bit concerning that there's been no public discussion at all - hopefully it won't become a 'Gateway' project.

Figures. If this was Charlotte or Atlanta it would have gotten built five years ago. Why is it so hard for the city to send out a bid package, pick the lowest bidder, get a contract signed and build it? I just don’t get it. 

10 hours ago, bikeoid said:

There was something in either a city social media post or a city council update, that said that the bridge is progressing and even showed a tentative design. I'll see if I can find that.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an ambitious list. Happy to see it! 

I truly believe that these investments into neighborhoods and quality of life features will continue to  make a stark contrast between living within the City of Greenville and without. It's going to make a strong case for annexation of residential areas at some point in the future. 

• Like 3

I'm very interested in the additional trail from Unity to Downtown and Downtown to the Zoo.

Are these both along Washington somehow? Is there any additional info on either of these

The other route for Unity Park could be from the West End, perhaps along the existing rail line. That would be a nice connection too.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I'm very interested in the additional trail from Unity to Downtown and Downtown to the Zoo.

Are these both along Washington somehow? Is there any additional info on either of these

The other route for Unity Park could be from the West End, perhaps along the existing rail line. That would be a nice connection too.

I was wondering this about the  connection to Unity Park, as well. My first thought was a simple continuation of the trail along the north side of the river: across Hudson Street, alongside the Kroc Tennis Center, across Westfield Street, tying into the existing path at the District West Apartments. Truly a parallel pathway. Given the amount of traffic in this stretch of trail, I think it would be a justified redundancy.  

As for the connection to the Zoo: I assume this is utilizing the abandoned rail bed that runs under McDaniel Ave and between the Zoo and McBee/Washington.

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I was wondering this about the  connection to Unity Park, as well. My first thought was a simple continuation of the trail along the north side of the river: across Hudson Street, alongside the Kroc Tennis Center, across Westfield Street, tying into the existing path at the District West Apartments. 

As for the connection to the Zoo: I assume this is utilizing the abandoned rail bed that runs between the Zoo and McBee/Washington.

Ahh yeah that actually makes plenty of sense if they just are just trying to increase volume or seperate fast/slow traffic. I think you're right. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A donation of $500,000 from Upstate Greenways and Trails Alliance has been received by the County for construction of the 2 mile Travelers Rest Greenway trail.

A donation of $600,000 from Upstate Greenways and Trails Alliance has been received by the County for construction of 0.5 miles of new trail near Conestee Nature Preserve.

More info:

https://www.greenvillecounty.org/Council/_Agenda/Meetings of 2024/Finance Committee/2024.03.11/Swamp Rabbit Trail Donations.pdf

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This Thursday, 3/28, from 4-6pm at the Unity Park Welcome Center: city staff will be hosting a drop-in format presentation of various bike/ped improvement projects proposed for the City of Greenville. 

• Thanks 3