Uptown Village

GRDadof3

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We witnessed what appeared to be a raid by the City of Grand Rapids police on the sneaker store the other day. They meant business too, came armed with bolt cutters and a door ramming device to break the storefront glass to get in. They went around back of the building and I think someone from Lighthouse let them in a back door. ...

In trying to figure out what was going on there a while back ( couldn't figure out how that store generated the income for the CLS500 and the Escalade) I stumbled upon some websites that seemed to indicate they were also selling some unlocked iPhones online. Is that legal?

And no, I didn't report it to GRPD or anyone else. :D I'm just a curious neighbor.

• 4 weeks later...

It's shady looking for sure. I'm actually dissapointed. Wing Heaven seems like a great tennant... "Wigs, fake hair, and bars-in-windows" is not nearly as inviting.

Compare that with nearly every other new business along Wealthy in the past 3 years (A-1 Nails, Wing Heaven, Winchester, Fusion Salon, etc) and it's easily the tackiest business in the bunch.

It's shady looking for sure. I'm actually dissapointed. Wing Heaven seems like a great tennant... "Wigs, fake hair, and bars-in-windows" is not nearly as inviting.

Compare that with nearly every other new business along Wealthy in the past 3 years (A-1 Nails, Wing Heaven, Winchester, Fusion Salon, etc) and it's easily the tackiest business in the bunch.

I have tried real hard to not respond to the recent comments on this issue, but I can no longer resist.

I find many of these comments about this new business very judgmental and quite frankly paternalistic. The neighborhood around this new business is still VERY VERY predominately African American. Access to the type of products this store carries are very important to the majority of the residents of this neighborhood.

Do any of you making these comments have any idea of the cultural importance of the wide variety of hair care products have to the majority of residents of this neighborhood. Prior to the opening of this store many of the residents of the Baxter-Uptown neighborhood had to leave the neighborhood to find their hair care needs. Now they can walk to the store in their neighborhood.

How is this any different than the relentless comments made on threads related to the central city from folks looking for upscale restaurants, grocery stores, and other type bourgeois retail establishments that meet your needs?

I find the comments about pay day loan services very offensive. There is nothing more predatory than pay day loan services, or rent to own businesses. First of all Lighthouse would never lease to one of these type of establishments. Additionally, there is no comparison between between this establishment and despicable companies that prey on lower income folks.

It is starting to seem to me that the "gentry" in beginning to gain its voice in the Wealthy Business District.

Archived