Vistas On The James

wrldcoupe4

coupe thats grwat to hear finally we get to see another tower crane erect.

Why do we hear so much about pile driving in Norfolk but never a mention of it in Richmond? Not that I want a daily report, but I hope it's not because Daniel doesn't build foundations! :shok:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Why do we hear so much about pile driving in Norfolk but never a mention of it in Richmond? Not that I want a daily report, but I hope it's not because Daniel doesn't build foundations! :shok:

Hey BURT !!!!

Pardon the delayed response but I had forgotten where you had asked the question.....(senile moment !!).

Pile foundations consist of vertical structural members that are forced into the ground by impact. Piles can be driven to bedrock, or more commonly, to refusal (the point that the substrata resists futher driving).

Piles in the Tidewater area are, indeed, driven to refusal as the substrata is too soft to support a footing for projects over a couple of stories. Cassons, for the most part, are impractical as the bore back-fills with water prior to pouring. An exception would be, for example, the bridge-tunnel complexes. These cassions are washed to refusal...sort of a combination of pile and cassion construction.

Caissons, or more commonly, piers, are simply bores back-filled with reinforced concrete. Caissons are drilled either to bedrock or load bearing substrata. Due to the drier, and thus firmer, substrata in the Richmond area, and the close proximity of bed rock, cassions are much more cost effective and far less distuptive to ajoining structures. I do remember pile construction in Richmond...during the building craze of the sixties....downtown sounded like a war zone !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like within the next few days... the tower crane will start rising!!! :w00t:

Richmond's newest highrise is about to rise!

I biked down there yesterday and saw the crane they are using to set up the tower crane. It looks like they had put the first section of it in the ground but called it a day before they got any farther. Should be done by next week though I guess?

Edit: Nevermind. After seeing Cadeho's pics I realized the section I saw had already been there a week before. Pretty sure that's the first segment of te tower crane though.

The tower crane should only take a couple days to put into place. I can't wait!

I think it is very odd that the Daniel rendering of ROTJ and the Alcoa property posted (I think in the Canal thread) shows the new Vistas as dimunutive and out of scale compared to its neighbors. Don't you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It will be pretty awesome walking along the canal walk there with an 18-story tower rising right next to it... can't wait!

I know, Im so excited! :D I bet it will even be pretty visible from Browns Island, its going to look awesome!

Archived