Vistas On The James

wrldcoupe4

One of the negative points of this location is the proximity to the railroad tracks. I wonder if the 6th floor will clear the height of the tracks. Also, with the large windows in the units, they won't off much sound dampening when the train runs through.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey....first of all, welcome to UrbanPlanet. Are you a richmonder? Hope so..... Anyways, I've thought about the impact of the railroad for this project and for Riverside on the James. However, I've been told there are ways to minimize the sound of trains when they pass. Not exactly sure how. (Burt is the Norfolk Southern Line shown above still in use? )

I was down at this site today. Best I can tell is that the area isn't for parking anymore. I also got the feeling that the site isn't that big. I can't quite figure out how they will fit all those condos into just 18 stories on the site.

:D WOW! Talk about downtown living in high demand. Vistas will be totally reserved by Monday, exactly one week after reservations started being taken. As of tonight, there are 9 condos left, with 400 people in line.

Rolling on the river

All but nine of 165 high-rise condo units reserved within days

BY CAROL HAZARD

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Jun 11, 2005

Hoping to land a condo next to the James? Good luck.

As of late yesterday, all but nine of 165 units in Vistas on the James had been reserved. And 400 people are in line for those nine units.

Ground has yet to be broken.

The 18-story high-rise will be built at the end of Virginia Street near the Canal Walk's Turning Basin in downtown Richmond.

William White, president of Joyner Fine Properties, said yesterday that the Vistas will be fully reserved by Monday evening. People will be offered the chance to reserve a unit in the order in which they called.

The real estate firm, the exclusive agent, will start a waiting list at that time.

About half the people who make reservations are expected to back out once they are asked to sign contracts in late summer or early fall.

White said he knew the high-rise would generate strong interest.

"But would it be reserved in one week? Yes, I am surprised at that."

full article

I also understand that the current building design can support two more floors. Perhaps if demand is really this high, Vistas may become 20 stories! :D

hey....first of all, welcome to UrbanPlanet. Are you a richmonder? Hope so..... Anyways, I've thought about the impact of the railroad for this project and for Riverside on the James. However, I've been told there are ways to minimize the sound of trains when they pass. Not exactly sure how. (Burt is the Norfolk Southern Line shown above still in use? )

I was down at this site today. Best I can tell is that the area isn't for parking anymore. I also got the feeling that the site isn't that big. I can't quite figure out how they will fit all those condos into just 18 stories on the site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Norfolk/Southern line is used by freight about twice a day hauling products to and from the big paper plant in West Point. It's possible, someday in the future, commuter rail linking downtown to Watkins Landing could use the track to a terminal east of 14th street. More than likely, however, if commuter rail becomes a reality, a connection will be built to the CSX tracks east of the old Hull Street station (now the Old Dominion Railway Museum) so that trains could terminate at Main Street station.

hope your trip to Florida was nice. I hopefully left plenty to read. Felt like the old days where I was just talking to myself though which sucked...

looking at pictures of the surrounding area of this project, one thing became apparent. The Mayo Bridge needs a makeover. It would be awesome to restore it to its original:

POST207.JPG

old postcard postmarked in 1917

hope your trip to Florida was nice. I hopefully left plenty to read. Felt like the old days where I was just talking to myself though which sucked...

looking at pictures of the surrounding area of this project, one thing became apparent. The Mayo Bridge needs a makeover. It would be awesome to restore it to its original:

POST207.JPG

old postcard postmarked in 1917

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mayo Bridge, modeled after one crossing the Seine in Paris, is indeed in bedraggled condition. Ugly electrical power lines are strung from one post to the next for the full length of the structure, and it looks generally seedy. But one of its nice features is that it is used by a number of people to fish for whatever creatures that swim in the James.

I also like the street car in the old picture.

One of the negative points of this location is the proximity to the railroad tracks.  I wonder if the 6th floor will clear the height of the tracks.  Also, with the large windows in the units, they won't off much sound dampening when the train runs through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were wise to start the condos upward from the 6th level, which, I'm sure, is above the CSX rail trestle. And I'm equally certain that the windows will be double-paned. But those coal trains passing by with much frequency can REALLY be noisy, and what's more, they tend to stop for whatever reason in the area of Brown's Island. It's an annoyance that will probably limit use of the balconies. :unsure:

:D WOW! Talk about downtown living in high demand. Vistas will be totally reserved by Monday,  exactly one week after reservations started being taken. As of tonight, there are 9 condos left, with 400 people in line.

full article

I also understand that the current building design can support two more floors. Perhaps if demand is really this high, Vistas may become 20 stories!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazingly fast sale of condo units.

Since the market is so hot, I wish VAPAF could build its Music Hall at Thalhimer's with a condo tower above it. But since it's non profit, maybe going into the real estate business is not permissible. :mellow:

hmmm that would be an interesting way to help pay for the Music Hall. Perhaps any profits from the condos could help pay for the music hall. Once its paid off, the profits could go towards the ARts in Richmond...

I wonder how long we must wait before we hear of another condo tower rising downtown....

You know I surely hope we start hearing more about 30-40 floor condo towers now but hopefully also we can see alot of Law Firms,Banks,Insurance Companys build a tower for them downtown.I wish Donald Trump would spruce it up here for us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah./...I've always thought Ukrop's should have a HQ in the CBD, though they are currently in the process of transferring their HQ operations from Southlake in C-field to Westmoreland off Broad St. They are also consolidating their central kitchen and bakery operations (Both part of the Ukrop's Food Group) at Westmoreland. First Market Banks HQ is downtown in Shockoe Slip near the Turning Basin though it isn't a highrise. I think mixed-use towers is the only thing Richmond will be seeing for some time. Vistas is building on the success of ROTJ. It's 3 floors taller, so hopefully the next one will build higher than Vistas...

About Vistas, It would be awesome for it to reach 20 stories. Richmond has about 15 buildings over 20 stories and it would be great to make it 16 :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the heavy demand, you'd think they would add 2 or 3 floors and go to the max the foundation can support. But remember, Daniel Construction is the culprit who knocked OFF 2 stories from ROTJ even after it had sold out! Go figure.

With the heavy demand, you'd think they would add 2 or 3 floors and go to the max the foundation can support.  But remember, Daniel Construction is the culprit who knocked OFF 2 stories from ROTJ even after it had sold out!  Go figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I never understood Daniel Construction's decision to do that despite the high demand. I've asked if anyone knew the reason on RCW, but I've yet to get a response. Frankly, I think it was the stupidest thing they could have done! :angry:

I think it is Wrldcoupe but i'm not sure. Hey did I ever tell ya my friends dad is Mike Laing the one in control of the Hilton Hotel Project for ECI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joey, put the pressure on your friend to ask his Dad, Mike Laing, what's happening at the Miller & Rhoads Hilton project. Coupe says that he saw some action there recently. Let's hope that is a good sign. :)

Speaking of VAPAF quickly, isn't that one way the the First Freedom Center is helping to finance its project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're right, Coupe.

That high elevation site (VAPAF) at Broad between 6th and 7th would be perfect for a 40 to 50 story mixed-use tower, and with the condo market as hot as it is, would probably sell out two or three hundred units as quickly as Granby Tower has done in Norfolk.

VAPAF just has to get a developer on board for this project. Imagine the views from these condos. Maybe the Ritz Carlton Hotel people could put a limited number of luxury units on the top floors and a revolving restaurant on top.

Surely, VAPAF has considered this option and discarded it, but why has there been no discussion of it in the press? How do we bring it to the attention of Brad Armstrong and his board of directors? Richmond may have some archaic fire laws preventing assembly halls within buildings, but with modern technology, that should no longer be a problem. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could post any information they've gotten on this project.  I have a call into Joyner Properties re: the condos, but wanted to get any information anyone has before talking with them- tx.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome, danad! Back up to the prior page (4), and maybe even further back than that, and you'll read lots on this posting about Vistas. :)

hey and welcome!.... what kind of info are you looking for about Vistas on the James. Vistas on the James <== Their website is very helpful by the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, yes, i've read this thread. I just wasn't sure if anyone'd heard anything from the horse's mouth so to speak and what questions i should ask when i call this guy back. I've seen the Vistas website, too, that's where i got the phone # for Joyner? from. tx.

Archived