The Tennyson

Florida

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to ask, what is the difference as defined by the city between a low, mid, and highrise?

I've often wondered the same question myself. I think once upon a time, a building over 75 ft was considered a highrise (based on fire protection), and one over 500 ft was considered a skyscraper (based on architects and engineers). But I'm just not sure anymore because I have lived in cities where a 100 ft building was still considered a midrise (so confusing).

I think that Low, Mid and High rise definitions are all subjective. I do think it pertains to what city or area is using these definitions. In other words, low rise in Manhattan is a high rise in Tally.

Great shots RJ! Very clear and crisp, what type of camera do you have?

I think I can see one of the trees in my yard in your photo number two. :)

There is a national criteria to determine this. Which basically states a building 12 stories or taller is considered a high rise building. Between 6-11 is midrise and below 6 is low rise. Of course there are buildings 50+ which are considered skyscrapers as someone previously mentioned.

Wow I never knew this, you learn something new everyday. Can you link me to this definition when you get a chance please?

I've often wondered the same question myself. I think once upon a time, a building over 75 ft was considered a highrise (based on fire protection), and one over 500 ft was considered a skyscraper (based on architects and engineers). But I'm just not sure anymore because I have lived in cities where a 100 ft building was still considered a midrise (so confusing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-rise

This is a very nice interior shot taken by the Tallahassee Democrat at the Tennyson Grand Opening this past Friday September 29th.

I would absolutely KILL to live at a place like that! Unfortunately I don't have the means to buy a home right now. I'm sick of renting :angry:

This is a very nice interior shot taken by the Tallahassee Democrat at the Tennyson Grand Opening this past Friday September 29th.

inside.jpg

I am sure that you can fix the rooms how you want but the image posted above looks very Hotel like, not very homey. IMHO For the prices they are asking I would expect a whole lot more.

I am sure that you can fix the rooms how you want but the image posted above looks very Hotel like, not very homey. IMHO For the prices they are asking I would expect a whole lot more.

Isn't it a model unit? If so they tend to look like hotel rooms....no very warm or personal.

The ceilings do look low, or is that just a recessed/decorative ceiling I'm seeing?

As shown by this Letter to the Editor, you can't please everybody:

Tennyson builder's'vision' is a bleak one

Re: "Planners' group honors exemplary projects" (news article, Oct. 1).

The American Planning Association's Visionary Award to The Tennyson building downtown makes sense only if your vision of Tallahassee is a mausoleum.

It is a hulking mass of concrete with no setback from the sidewalk fronted by a few puny sidewalk trees. Granger Development, with round of applause and an abysmal lack of vision from our commissioners and city planners, missed an opportunity to create a graceful landmark that reflected Tallahassee's charm and tradition. At the very least, some landscaping?

With two additional high-rises under construction and more employees to expedite the permit process, we sadly can only look forward to more tombstone monuments to these "visionaries."

If I remember correctly from planning school, in a walking urban environment, you want the bldg. "pulled to the front" and not set way back w/a parking lot in front. Also what was this writer looking for when he mentions "charm and tradition".....a high rise antebellum type bldg. w/those spindly white columns our city loves so much and a broken down pick-up truck on blocks in the front yard? :D

Also expediting permits does not make a project better or worse. Tally has some dog-ugly projects that were built w/our very slow permitting process.

Better Landscaping? What more does he want? They've got Crappy Myrtles! :P

SonyShots041.jpg

Surely I must say the writer of that Letter to the Editor must have absolutely nothing better to do with their time. The Tennyson is probably the most beautiful highrise building we have downtown. I'm proud of it. It is a perfect example of what an Urban Landscape should look like. The only problem with the Tennyson, is there aren't more of them around to complete the downtown.

Thumbs up to Granger and the Team who made this project possible.

Picture Taken: October 3, 2006

• 3 months later...

Retail Space Details:

908302_ground_floor_th-1.gif

Tennyson is offering the Retail Space in this building for sale at $199,900 or $1600 per month. This is 625 sq.ft. of Commercial space on the ground floor of the nicest New Building in downtown Tallahassee. This comes down to $20 per sq.ft.

The range of rents in the downtown area are $20-$28 sq.ft.

Tennyson is looking for a convience store or some other general retail use.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived