The Tennyson

Florida

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this development. Columbus could use something like this.

I'm personally very grateful it came along to spark the interest in downtown development. Before the Tennyson, there was basically nothing. Now we have more than 10 projects under construction or nearing the starting line.

This project has an interesting background for me.

I actually made a competing offer on the old library property before it was purchased by Sonny Granger. While my offer was apparently too low, our plan was to rehabilitate the old library into downtown office suites as part of a historic preservation effort. It was going to take a lot, as the building was in pretty bad shape. It had a very distinctive old double staircase in the lobby.

We put a lot of work into the project, going as far as meeting with contractors, architects, banks, and other interested parties (DIA, Tal. Trust for Historic Preservation, etc).

There were plans for a hi-rise condo at the time that we did all of this, but they seemed quite unreal given that there was no downtown living at the time (2001), other than reserved spots on Kleman Plaza. If I remember correctly, they were not plans from the Tennyson developer (Granger), but from another firm. They had an elevation drawn in which they had kept the facade of the old library and built a condo around it. It looked a little strange to me.

In retrospect, I am very glad that we did not get that property, and that Tennyson is there now. While the loss of a large historic property was unfortunate, the quality of the project that took its place, and the momentum that it seems to have created was a worthy tradeoff.

This project has an interesting background for me.

I actually made a competing offer on the old library property before it was purchased by Sonny Granger. While my offer was apparently too low, our plan was to rehabilitate the old library into downtown office suites as part of a historic preservation effort. It was going to take a lot, as the building was in pretty bad shape. It had a very distinctive old double staircase in the lobby.

We put a lot of work into the project, going as far as meeting with contractors, architects, banks, and other interested parties (DIA, Tal. Trust for Historic Preservation, etc).

There were plans for a hi-rise condo at the time that we did all of this, but they seemed quite unreal given that there was no downtown living at the time (2001), other than reserved spots on Kleman Plaza. If I remember correctly, they were not plans from the Tennyson developer (Granger), but from another firm. They had an elevation drawn in which they had kept the facade of the old library and built a condo around it. It looked a little strange to me.

In retrospect, I am very glad that we did not get that property, and that Tennyson is there now. While the loss of a large historic property was unfortunate, the quality of the project that took its place, and the momentum that it seems to have created was a worthy tradeoff.

I remember this original plan you speak of that kep the old Library's facade as part of the new building. I think the Tallahassee Democrat even interpreted the plans as being for Sonny Granger, but when the entire old building came down, I knew something was wrong. LOL.

I passed the Tennyson today going north on Gadsden street downtown and then south again on Calhoun (makng a run for the job) when I noticed how nicely the paint job is turning out on the Tennyson. I saw crews working on it Saturday when I'd just got back to town, but today was my first opportunity to see it in the daylight, a little closer. This is such a quality project and the crews are doing a great job. I think the color will provide a good contrast with the buildings around it and still allow the building to look classy. I'm very excited about March.

I hope some developers catch a clue, because the downtown residential units are coming.... And people would love to walk to services they need downtown... its so lame theyre arent plans for a grocer, or a cleaners downtown, u know all the street level retail u need to sustain these buildings.

Yea, but in 3 months people will be out walking around with no place to go.... its good that we have park avenue so they can go chill in the parks... but I guess they could walk to adams street for andrews..... I dunno.

Well its kinda like it was when my family built the first home out in Hawks Landing, no stores near by in the beginning, but they came along eventually. Same could be said for Southwood residents, that Publix, Lendy's, Itza Pizza, YMCA, Hustons, Coffee shops and the like all followed the people. I'll happen downtown, in a much greater way.

yes, but not to much stucco!

The color does look great, and the crane will be missed. She was our first in the 2000's maybe we should throw a going away party for our stork-ish crane that brought us our awsome baby.

I second that. Yesterday, while taking pictures, I actually considered ordering pizza for the entire construction crew. They were doing such a good job!

Archived