Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

After reading more of this article I don't think this could ever happen. It says there are 1800 homes in that area that would have to be acquired. Can you imagine the price tag?? Either way it is only temporary. They want Oceana closed and it probably won't be too many more years.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading more of this article I don't think this could ever happen. It says there are 1800 homes in that area that would have to be acquired. Can you imagine the price tag?? Either way it is only temporary. They want Oceana closed and it probably won't be too many more years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kidding along with the businesses with it. Its not going to happen the city can't afford all of those properties they would have to give them fair market value and it would break the bank so to say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say keep building around the base. Its going to close anyways, screw the brac and do it just to piss them off.

Why waste taxpayers money to buy land when they plan on leaving the area in the not so distant future? They could go ahead with their plans and work to acquire the oceana land to court something big to the area. I think its a waste of State and local dollars and would be ticked off if i lived anywhere else in the state to see my dollars spent on something that is leaving the area.

Oceana is gone in the next 10 years!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Now lets all make a plan for this inevitability and move forward. We've simply been granted a reprieve to get all of our ducks in line for the eventual closing.

What if the city bluffed? I now think the entire $180 million buying spree was a rouse to get BRAC to spare Oceana. BRAC called the bluff by demanding a plan within 6 months that highlights how the city plans to condemn all property within the APZ 1 (after reading the official report). Although they condemnation doesn't include APZ 2, APZ 1 still contains hundreds of homes and businesses. Knowing that it's a futile game, I wouldn't be surprised if that condo gets built after all.

As much as people like to rip on VB, the council has good vision if not common sense. Common sense would have said TC, the Amp, the Hilton, and new convention center were bad ideas. Anyone think they are bad ideas now? The city knows that condemning all the requested land would destroy its economy, not to mention the region's, more than losing Oceana. VB has been acting reactively since Oceana was added on the list. Now that closure seems certain, it's time for VB to act proactively and determine the best economic alternative be it closure and redevelopment or realignment. Alternatives should include the region losing the base to a new base in western Tidewater to what the effect would be of relocating to Cecil versus Beaufort. Everything has to be studied. The million dollars spent on such an in-depth study will come back more than a thousand fold if VB and the state successfully lobby for the desired alternative in the next round of BRAC.

Yes, for Va. Beach to start buying land when they know full well Oceana will not stay anyway is just throwing money down the drain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anybody have a map they could post showing Oceana in relation to VBTC and the shore hotels - nothing detailed, just a sort of overview for us non-natives?

If I'm Va Beach, I'd help the Navy pack their bags.  Has there been any discussion about making part of the base a new and improved international airport?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolk runs Norfolk International and Norfolk is not going to give that tax base up. You can forget that.

If I'm Va Beach, I'd help the Navy pack their bags.  Has there been any discussion about making part of the base a new and improved international airport?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mentioned making Oceana an international airport in a previous post, but I haven't heard anybody mention it as a contingency. Maybe that will change now that it's more obvious that Oceana is going away. It seems like the obvious solution to me.

Does anybody have a map they could post showing Oceana in relation to VBTC and the shore hotels - nothing detailed, just a sort of overview for us non-natives?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here ya go. You can see Oceana on the right side. And if you look on the bottom left side of the map you will see Pocahontas Village. Above those words you can see the grid for TC and just above that in the reddish color is Pembroke Mall.

vb.jpg

Thanks for the maps, fellas. Oceana DOES seem surrounded by development.

I still can't figure out where VBTC is, Guy. Is it at the northeast intersection of US58 and Rt. 224 (that red blob). or is it further down 225 near Pocahontas?

Back in the 1950s, there was a very popular restaurant out in the woods that we used to drive to from the Beach for great seafood dinners. The name Thalia rings a bell, but I might be wrong. Anyway, it was very popular and good - a treat to go to.

:)

Archived