Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

Meh…still not really impressed with this park so far. I thought there would be a lot more with $60 million being spent on it but I guess not. Honestly, I think the money should have gone to more important issues within the city instead like transit, affordable housing, sewer upgrades, litter control, paving roads, upgrading current parks, burying power lines, new landscaping, fixing street lights, etc. 

I also find it pretty hilarious the city can find all of this money for a new park but can’t find any for Greenlink and a pedestrian bridge over Verdae Blvd. Priorities. 

Edited by gman430

On 10/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, GvilleSC said:

The shade structures look awesome! 

A74B201F-C9BE-4D88-9D9D-19E1C1E77EE4.jpeg

No one will be calling them shade structures next July.    I love how these look (walked past them a few times already) and I love how little they obstruct any views  (in any direction, you can see across the "river" and through them and all around ) and seem to blend in so well with what is around them despite their modern appearance.  I mean that is quite a feat.   They should not be referred to as any kind of shelter (I asked the installers what they were and was told "picnic shelters")  in their current incantation, however. They wont shelter against sun or rain.   This is the south folks.  Maybe there will be more to these so there is more functionality added to their, again, really top notch, aesthetic. 

Edited by gvegascple

5 hours ago, gvegascple said:

No one will be calling them shade structures next July.    I love how these look (walked past them a few times already) and I love how little they obstruct any views  (in any direction, you can see across the "river" and through them and all around ) and seem to blend in so well with what is around them despite their modern appearance.  I mean that is quite a feat.   They should not be referred to as any kind of shelter (I asked the installers what they were and was told "picnic shelters")  in their current incantation, however. They wont shelter against sun or rain.   This is the south folks.  Maybe there will be more to these so there is more functionality added to their, again, really top notch, aesthetic. 

Very interesting and I tend to agree. They may look cool but do they serve their purpose? I have been other places with "shelters" that have slots or holes and don't do a good job of sheltering. If they are not going to serve their purpose why spend money on them? If we are determined to spend the money, why not get ones that serve the purpose? It's kind of the same argument I have with the tower; why spend the money on an observation tower that isn't tall enough to observe anything? :dontknow:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gvegascple said:

Look at the bright side. At least they didn’t tear down any of the big trees on site that can provide shade. Oh wait…

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Very interesting and I tend to agree. They may look cool but do they serve their purpose? I have been other places with "shelters" that have slots or holes and don't do a good job of sheltering. If they are not going to serve their purpose why spend money on them? If we are determined to spend the money, why not get ones that serve the purpose? It's kind of the same argument I have with the tower; why spend the money on an observation tower that isn't tall enough to observe anything? :dontknow:

They should rename this to Disunity Park…

10 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Somewhere in this thread there is a video that explains why and what trees were removed. They were invasive/non-native or of similar nature to warranty their removal.  They are adding back other trees that are more appropriate as well.

Yea -- they went about it very sensibly and with a lot of thought from people who know what they're doing.

Unity Park is probably one of the most impactful projects in the state of South Carolina of the last (and next) decade. UrbanPlanet needs to have a warning label to caution against the whiplash caused by changing opinions/attitudes in the Greenville forum. Greenville lacks high design and good aesthetic one day. The next: beautiful, contemporary canopy sculptures are a waste of money and insufficient to serve as full shade and protection against rain. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Yea -- they went about it very sensibly and with a lot of thought from people who know what they're doing.

Unity Park is probably one of the most impactful projects in the state of South Carolina of the last (and next) decade. UrbanPlanet needs to have a warning label to caution against the whiplash caused by changing opinions/attitudes in the Greenville forum. Greenville lacks high design and good aesthetic one day. The next: beautiful, contemporary canopy sculptures are a waste of money and insufficient to serve as full shade and protection against rain. 

You forgot to mention that whole city center with creative architecture and classical elements being built on 385 that is nothing but a cheap disney looking waste! :lol::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

You forgot to mention that whole city center with creative architecture and classical elements being built on 385 that is nothing but a cheap disney looking waste! :lol::rolleyes:

I’m gonna take a wait and see approach on Bridgeway Station. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Somewhere in this thread there is a video that explains why and what trees were removed. They were invasive/non-native or of similar nature to warranty their removal.  They are adding back other trees that are more appropriate as well.

Thanks. Too bad it’s gonna take 30 years for those trees to fully mature and provide adequate shade. It is what it is I guess. I still don’t how this park is costing $60 million either. I think the city got screwed over by Harper Corp. $10-$20 million is what I am seeing. Maybe I am missing something. :dontknow:

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, Tigers81 said:

Maybe the DRB just isn't use to seeing decent architectural bids come across; they're so used to the 4 story brick boxes! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I walked the SRT along Unity Park today for the first time in quite a while. The park is larger than it seemed previously. Burying the power lines will help. I’m not sure why the trees along the river on the Southernside Brewery bank were not removed? And does anyone know of the riverbanks between the park and downtown will be similarly restored?